Looking For Dragstrip IAT data for KB 2.8 cars

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone here run a 2.8KB at the dragstrip? Curious how the IATs are on the car at the start of the run vs. the end.

Which pulley combos, too?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will chime in.

Mines a 2.6. It will be just above ambiant when running some ice in my resevoir. It will climb into the 150 range if I don't run ice.

The 2.8 runs cooler I believe just based off of the better manifold design. It's made for 15 psi+ applications.

They also have the H version of the 2.6. It incorporates the same manifold type as the 2.8 but on a smaller blower.

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Which pulleys were you running?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Paging departmentofboost.

He dislikes KB's ic design, the DOB ic setup is really nice for IAT's

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
It looks very nice.

Is there any drag strip data on that setup?

Not sure if you're asking me or not.

100 oct 560/550 rwhp/rwtq

11.0 @ 129 1.65 60' Don't know why my 60 was so far off for that run but whatever...

I generally ran 11.05-11.15 through a manual on good track prep. 60' was normally 1.5ish.

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score
Kenne Bell 2.6 with 3 7/8" pulley. No ice or cool down driving an hour to the track and running immediatly. Have data logs of runs and car will be 135 sitting in the lanes and before burnout. Open throttle and goes to 132 during burnout. 132 on starting line. 129 after takeoff, climbs to 135 during run. Car pulls timing after 140 and it never hits 140. It does similar to this back to back for four runs all in under 45 minutes. Radiator cooling fans come on at 185 and cools motor to 180. Afco dual fan heat exchanger with constant running fans. Antifreeze and water 70/30 mix with royal purple additive in both engine cooling and supercharger cooling system. Only difference in coolant is I run the green coolant in the supercharger to help diagnose a leak if I ever had one. My time in sig was the car short shifting. Ran the car to data log gears and never went back after tune revision.

badnews

Reaction score
Not sure if you're asking me or not.

100 oct 560/550 rwhp/rwtq

11.0 @ 129 1.65 60' Don't know why my 60 was so far off for that run but whatever...

I generally ran 11.05-11.15 through a manual on good track prep. 60' was normally 1.5ish.

Is this a 5.0 coyote?

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
ha, can't get better info than that! Thanks. Sounds like you are spinning it pretty slow. I read all over the "innernets" that KB's run very hot so am just trying to find some real world data. Your numbers are very similar to what I see on my Whipple 2.3L Gen I spinning it at 17,300rpm.

I would prob spin a KB 3.2 at 14,000-15,000 rpm. I know the 2.8 isn't a 3.2 but it's the closest real world example I can prob find.

Kenne Bell 2.6 with 3 7/8" pulley. No ice or cool down driving an hour to the track and running immediatly. Have data logs of runs and car will be 135 sitting in the lanes and before burnout. Open throttle and goes to 132 during burnout. 132 on starting line. 129 after takeoff, climbs to 135 during run. Car pulls timing after 140 and it never hits 140. It does similar to this back to back for four runs all in under 45 minutes. Radiator cooling fans come on at 185 and cools motor to 180. Afco dual fan heat exchanger with constant running fans. Antifreeze and water 70/30 mix with royal purple additive in both engine cooling and supercharger cooling system. Only difference in coolant is I run the green coolant in the supercharger to help diagnose a leak if I ever had one. My time in sig was the car short shifting. Ran the car to data log gears and never went back after tune revision.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Ive hit 18psi a few times with a 2.75" and 15% overdrive. great in the 1/8 but IAT's get over 170 and it just falls flat on the top end. Upgraded as much as I could in regards to cooling, bigger HE, custom 3 gallon tank, etc. Its not a blower made to go over 10# boost effectively.

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score
ha, can't get better info than that! Thanks. Sounds like you are spinning it pretty slow. I read all over the "innernets" that KB's run very hot so am just trying to find some real world data. Your numbers are very similar to what I see on my Whipple 2.3L Gen I spinning it at 17,300rpm.

I would prob spin a KB 3.2 at 14,000-15,000 rpm. I know the 2.8 isn't a 3.2 but it's the closest real world example I can prob find.

Also consider the Kenne Bell 2.6 system does not measure the IAT's at the MAF which is pre supercharger. Kenne Bell 2.6 systems measures it in the Intake Manifold, after the supercharger has compressed and heated everything up. The big problem here is it is sitting right on top of the engine and cylinder heads which are hot. That is why my tuner has changed my engines operating temps. So it is battling that heat of the motor that is rising into the manifold and blower also. If it were measured at the MAF the numbers would probably be lower than any other kit on the market because it moves the MAF out of the engine bay unlike any other supercharger kit. Though some people do re locate their IAT sensor like the Kenne Bell system does. But my point is that some may be comparing data from different locations which cannot be compared in any way.

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
My IAT sensor is at the back of the intake. I think most Whipple installs move them but I'm sure not all do.

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bad IAT for sure. I consider anything up to 140 ok in the 1/4 especially in the summer but 170 is getting up there.

Ive hit 18psi a few times with a 2.75" and 15% overdrive. great in the 1/8 but IAT's get over 170 and it just falls flat on the top end. Upgraded as much as I could in regards to cooling, bigger HE, custom 3 gallon tank, etc. Its not a blower made to go over 10# boost effectively.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score

You ever put ice in your 3 gallon tank?

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
All of the above data is on 2.6 cars, spinning them pretty fast. Anything above 15psi puts you into a 2.8 or larger blower in my opinion. A 3.2 would be spinning even slow, in theory even lower IAT's. I'll get mine out (2.8) and do some hard pulls this weekend. Been a while since I've done any data logging of IAT's.

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a 5.0 coyote?

Love the GN signature pic Badnews. I bracket race with the local Buick Club. Those cars were the schiznit back in the day. Still run into quite a few fast ones.

badnews

Reaction score
Love the GN signature pic Badnews. I bracket race with the local Buick Club. Those cars were the schiznit back in the day. Still run into quite a few fast ones.

Thank you. It is under construction. It has been high 10's on a mild tune up. Looking for single digits on the new set-up. Most of them are either stock'ish or highly modified these days.

In the mean time, my TVS coyote has kept me entertained. High 10's in daily driver form is really fun. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back