Looking for some mod advice

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got a 2006 GT and I'm looking to do autocross and track racing, what are some good mods to start off with? Already have Coilovers, racing seats, control arms, but I'm looking to get some good sway bars and anything else that will help with handling.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
What coilovers? Brakes would be the first thing that comes to mind. Pads and fluid at a minimum, ducts if you plan on driving very aggressively at the track. Upgrading LCA's (or at least the bushings) goes a long way in preventing wheel hop. A lot of people swear by LCA relocation brackets but personally I can't tell much of a difference with them.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Differential is good. A T2R is relatively cheap as "good" diffs go.

Also I'm sure your wheels could be wider and tires stickier. If you're not at least on 18x10's with good tires that needs to be first.

UMI Sales

Official Vendor
Reaction score
We offer a 35mm hollow front sway bar as well as a 22mm solid rear.

If your tracking the car i would consider a set of subframe connectors.
along with the most common upgrade of a strut tower brace.

If you have any questions or need to order please give us a call

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Yup, the top handling mods for the S-197 are subframe connectors and strut tower braces

:jester:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

Ummm. WHAT? Subframe connectors? Gooby plz....

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
funny-gif-cute-dog-seriously-guys.gif

tang-o

Reaction score
my 0.00000002 cents

Your first mod should be seat time, followed by tires.

+1!

- Improve the nut behind the wheel.
- Improve your seating position with harness or even a G-Lock (harness maybe frown upon if you don't have a rollbar). If your behind is not well connected to the seat then you are missing out on feedback.
- Get better tires, play with different tire pressures. Check pressures after the end of each run. (buy a reasonably priced temp. gun if you want)
- suspension
- sway bars.

mike4.0

Reaction score
Oh yes, definitely jump on those subframe connectors lol

Seat time until current tires are worn out, get better tires or wider/lighter rims with better tires. more seat time, then, same with brakes but keep it simple with upgraded pads unless you score a deal on some Brembo take-offs or something

This is my current plan anyway, tires are worn, waiting on my rims to get here, then rubber shopping!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Hey, c'mon guys, the subframe connectors and strut-tower brace add something like 30lbs of downforce! AND you can call it weight-reduction, too, from the cash-ectomy our of your wallet.

1) Driver mod first. You will see the biggest improvement here, in all areas.
2) Brakes: Doesn't matter how fast you go; if you can't stop... Minimum good pads and ducts. Think longevity and fade-resistance, and not bling.
3) NOTHING ELSE. Until you have developed #1 to the point where you can consistently identify where something about the car is holding you back, then fix that, and only that. Lather/rinse/repeat. Also, when I say "identify," I'm talking about specifics, not generalizations. "The car pushes (understeers)." Okay, fine. Does it do that on initial turn in? Corner entry? Mid-corner (around apex)? Corner exit? Each phase of the corner has different things going on in terms of vehicle dynamics, and different root causes to the example understeer problem. Also, the biggest benefit to doing it this way is that you learn to identify how the car "feels" in all the different situations, as well as learning to drive around those issues. It makes you a better, more rounded driver. Because it's a skill-set, and not a piece of hardware, you can then hop in anything and in just a few corners pretty well have the car figured out. You will be fast in whatever you're in.

claudermilk

Reaction score
^^^^ THIS! Listen to Dave.

Seriously, that is the right way to go. I spent about a year just on item #1 on Dave's list. Once I was comfortable & familiar enough with the chassis, I was able to identify specific things I didn't like that the car was doing--then did some focused shopping. Every part I've put on the car has improved it in the ways I intended and expected. That came with lots of reading here, and considered purchases.

I also have a pretty well-defined sequence pf parts lined up on the wish list--subject to rearrangement as issues arise. For example, I though my next purchases were going to be sway bars & brake cooling ducts. After the last track day the harnesses/rollbar items got moved to the top. Then the cooling ducts are next as I expect I'll be using the brakes a lot harder now.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I do agree with the seating position as well that was mentioned above. Where you are sitting can make a huge difference in feel and control of the car.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
You reckon the OP got all the information he needs?

Just in case not, let me advocate a couple Driver Mods that haven't been mentioned: Book Learnin' and mental rehearsal.

There is a lot of published material On Line and On Library Shelves. Split your reading between driving technique and automotive/racing physics, about 40/60. Once you have a little grasp of what's going on inside your car and your mind as you travel over the face of the earth at speeds nature never intended, you might also be able to formulate, if not perform a concept something like "precision driving" that you can practice wherever you go, at whatever speed.

Forming the habit of doing everything right every time will stand you in good stead in every environment. Kind of a Tai Chi idea: doing it in slow motion countless times releases mindless lightning in critical situations.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score

In all seriousness, do you know anything about the parts and how they work, or do you just try and sell them?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back