Magnum 500 Wheels

Steve F

Reaction score
I've got a 2006 GT I've owned since new. I bought it with the intent on creating a Hertz GT replica and am happy with my accomplishment except for the wheels. It came with the 18" 5 spoke wheels that resemble Cragar SS wheels and I was content with them but I've longed to find Magnum 500 wheels as came on the original Hertz GT. I've found 15" and 16" wheels are readily available that look very close to the originals but in 17" which was the standard wheel on my year GT the appearance isn't that close.

I've been reading some of the threads here in the wheels forum and learned that 16" wheels were available on the V6 S197 but am not sure they would cross to the V8 model. Do both models use the same brakes? I realize I'll sacrifice some handling characteristics by using a taller 16" tire but I'm at the age where style is more important to me than autocross handling.

Can anyone offer some insight or advice? Will 16" wheels mount to my V8 GT? Thanks!!

Petro Leontiuk

Reaction score
I’ve seen 18” wheels from a gt on a v6 so I’m sure the 16s would work as long as you get the bolt pattern. I’m not sure what the offset would be on a 16. Check these modern replicas out of that style. I think they are only 17 and 18” though.

Cool wheels! Considering all of them come in 0 offset, i think that maximum with for S197 will be 7".
American Racing VN500's with custom offset would fit better, but will cost twice more though.

AHaze

Reaction score
The GT came with bigger front brakes than the V6. The OEM 16" base wheels will not clear the GT brakes. Can't say with 100% certainty that any particular aftermarket 16" won't clear but I'd bet the vast majority won't.

Steve F

Reaction score
The GT came with bigger front brakes than the V6. The OEM 16" base wheels will not clear the GT brakes. Can't say with 100% certainty that any particular aftermarket 16" won't clear but I'd bet the vast majority won't.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!

Thanks for the links guys, I'll check them out.

Back