Looking to start performance modding..

06VistaGT

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't really had a chance to post up pictures, but I'm pretty much done with the visuals of the car. My 06 gt is pretty much stock performance wise (except for pype bombs axleback exhaust) and I'm not sure what performance mods I should start with and which will give me the biggest gains. I'm pretty sure that the first thing I plan to do will be to get a CAI and a tune since I heard that those two are the best starting mods (unless I should get something different instead). What else would give a decent amount of hp or would be a pretty useful mod to have? I'm looking at getting 4.10s, delete plates, UDP, throttle body (although I read it's pretty much useless on a stock motor), OR X-pipe, LT headers, or possibly cams if I save enough money (but for now I want to start small). What do you guys think?

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
I just got my intake and tune in. Deff is the biggest bang for the buck so far. Is your car a manual. If so it should hav 3:55 which I think is a pretty decent gear. Especially if you plan on f/I in the future.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Seriously, forego all the bolt ons, go straight to a blower. It will save you money in the long run. m90s are still on sale.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Boost/Nitrous will alwasy be the biggest bang for your buck.
When you have forced induction all those little things are not as important, and you can always add them later when you decide you wanna make even more power.

QWIKFIX

forum member
Reaction score
I guess its how much do you want to spend? For about $1000 I got a C&L racer intake, GT500 TB, UDPs, aftermarket COPs and a Predator w/tune. That will give you a pretty good improvement, that on mine yielded 309/323 on the dyno. Past that then you look at at least 2 grand for headers/mids/cams and gears. So thats 3 grand total..up to then (plus you'll need to have the car retuned after cams/headers). If you even for a second think on buying a blower...you may just save and wait.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
Coming from an intake/tune GT, to eventually going with a Supercharger; obviously I enjoy driving a blown car a hell of a lot more. Youll probably enjoy a roots/tvs type blower more on the street, but just remember traction starts to become an issue. I have a centri @ 498rwhp and I didnt start getting traction until I put some 305/45 DRs on the back.

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Seriously, forego all the bolt ons, go straight to a blower. It will save you money in the long run. m90s are still on sale.

+1!!

Go straight for the M90 Blower quick!! Gary Yeoman Ford is $3400 + shipping. Then after that down the road or right away, go with the 500hp upgrade kit from VMP Tuning or JDM Engineering!!! Can't go wrong , after the upgrade kit you will be 415-450 rwhp range, depending on supporting mods.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Misery loves company, eh Nick? If you have to spend money everyone else has to as well!

All the comments about going FI are spot on; this is addicting and once you start you will want more...while it may seem cheaper to buy the NA bolt ons here and there in the end you spend more going FI.

If your budget allows it spend the money once and do it right the first time, buy the FI kit, if you can install it yourself to save money, get a good tune and call it a day.

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
Misery loves company, eh Nick? If you have to spend money everyone else has to as well!

You are just mad that you didn't get to him first and spend his money too!! LOL!!

OP, a bit of wisdom Greg loves to spend others money and his famous line is ..... "SO what's next for your car?? You know......"

LOL!!

06VistaGT

forum member
Reaction score
Haha I'll try not to get tempted.. Ya I don't think I'll be able to go FI for a long time, but I guess it's better to start saving up instead of getting a little money and then instantly blowing it off on a bolt-on.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score

+1. Blowers end up being cheaper than throwing all the bolt on's at our cars. And, they can be dialed up for much more power than staying N/A.

M90's are great bang for the buck, like Patrick has. I went with a Vortech V2 centrifugal blower on my '07 GT (basic non-cooled kit was $3700 complete) and with 4.10's & a converter it went 11.79 @ 114 in the 1/4 mile with plenty of upgradability in it.

Or, you can do what I just did last week and trade in your current ride for a new '11 or '12 5.0L GT. Just a couple easy mods and the new 5.0L's are into the 11's in the 1/4 mile without a blower.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back