LT headers installation in Chicagoland area?

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I called Brenspeed in Indiana but they want $650 for installing Pypes LT's & ORH. I would pay $400 but $650 is highway robbery considering they have a lift and so much experience that I'm betting they can do it in 3-4 hours easy.

I'm considering doing the job myself but I would need to buy everything tool wise including four jack stands. Anyone know a shop in northern Illinois that might install for a reasonable price? Or does anyone here with header experience in my area want to make a few bucks on the side?

I appreciate any help or advice.

POCOPOWER

forum member
Reaction score
Last set i put on i would of gladly paid 650.00 for someone to do them. All but 3 studs broke off in the head. So this 3-4 hour job just turned into 8 or more by your time theory. 3 of the studs broke off 1/4'' in the head and rest were flush. Lucky i have the equipment to work with to extract the broke studs. But i have done a few sets that were simple with no issues. This is why most shops quote a high price. Some jobs are quick and some are not.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Last set i put on i would of gladly paid 650.00 for someone to do them. All but 3 studs broke off in the head. So this 3-4 hour job just turned into 8 or more by your time theory. 3 of the studs broke off 1/4'' in the head and rest were flush. Lucky i have the equipment to work with to extract the broke studs. But i have done a few sets that were simple with no issues. This is why most shops quote a high price. Some jobs are quick and some are not.

Sorry to hear yours were so troublesome. But when you have a lift, every tool known to man and have installed hundreds if not thousands of headers then you probably have it down to a science. I was also buying all the parts from them (cams and headers) as well as paying them for a tune. It's not like charging me $400 for install on the headers would really risk thier profit margin.

I paid $300 to have pacesetter LT's and ORY installed on a 99 Trans Am. Surely someone can make money doing it at $400. I'll keep looking or if worse comes to worse then I'll take the plunge and go for it myself.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
But when you have a lift, every tool known to man and have installed hundreds if not thousands of headers then you probably have it down to a science.

Words of wisdom from someone who has never done headers on a S197! I've done headers many times, it's always a pain. Good luck finding a shop to do this for 3-4 hours labor.

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear yours were so troublesome. But when you have a lift, every tool known to man and have installed hundreds if not thousands of headers then you probably have it down to a science. I was also buying all the parts from them (cams and headers) as well as paying them for a tune. It's not like charging me $400 for install on the headers would really risk thier profit margin.

I paid $300 to have pacesetter LT's and ORY installed on a 99 Trans Am. Surely someone can make money doing it at $400. I'll keep looking or if worse comes to worse then I'll take the plunge and go for it myself.

Just curious, how long ago was the T/A header install? I agree with the other guys, asking for a four hour install may be a bit unrealistic.

I would call some of the other mustang shops around the same general area and just get an estimate. There are several around Detroit. Even if you dont want to go that far see what their rate is. If its cheap enough drive there and get it done.

Saleen520

Reaction score
It's an 8 hour install on a lift. You should retap all exhaust stud holes so they don't snap off. That takes an hour. Smart choice is to buy a new K- member and it fill cut the header labor in half.

Saleen520

Reaction score
I am ordering mine this week, give Jason at S281 Motorsports a call he can be very helpful. I am going with the ceramic coated duratech headers. Check them out!

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
It's doable on your own and you don't need 4 jack stands, I've done it on two and made lift blocks to go under the front wheels with 4 layers of 2 inch thick x 10 inch wide wood. My first time doing headers took a weekend between breaks and everything, second try took maybe 4-5 hours. Best pieces of advice before doing headers are...change the motor mounts or get a k-member installed when you're down there and use the double nut method to get rid of any stubborn studs.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've done a dozen or so header installs and this one by far exceeds all the others in the amount of time it takes. Just the proximity and limited space will add hours to the project. It's simple, just time consuming. $650 seems kinda reasonable. Speed shop out here wanted to charge me $800. If I have to do it again I might pay the $800.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
around here it costs 800 for s197 header installation, 250 for ls header installation. the ls motors are a lot more accessible and easier to work with. its apples to oranges so you cant base your pricing on a completely different setup. you should see what a gt500 has to go through for headers.

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
I called Brenspeed in Indiana but they want $650 for installing Pypes LT's & ORH. I would pay $400 but $650 is highway robbery considering they have a lift and so much experience that I'm betting they can do it in 3-4 hours easy.

I'm considering doing the job myself but I would need to buy everything tool wise including four jack stands. Anyone know a shop in northern Illinois that might install for a reasonable price? Or does anyone here with header experience in my area want to make a few bucks on the side?

I appreciate any help or advice.

Deans performance has a much cheaper hourly rate and the guy is a good dude. Its within a 15 minute diff from posts place. I would highly recommend Hans at deans performance. I hope to be back there soon.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Your expectations are unrealistic. All shops are going to go by book hours, most of the time what it says in the book for time, is what they will charge.

The only way you will get headers installed for 3-400 is if you get a buddy/family discount. Or find a reputable mechanic that does sidework for cheaper rates.

Seethrough

Reaction score
You can try Modular Powerhouse in Rockford and see what they charge but I agree with the others on time. Even with a lift it takes time - especially if you have to remove the starter.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

The LS and the modular platform are two completely different things especially when talking about long tube installs. The install on your trans am was a piece of cake when it comes to long tubes on a modular Mustang. If you don't believe us take a gander above and under the car and see how much room there is to work even on a lift it can still be challenging.

Or you can do it yourself, it's only a bunch of nuts and bolts.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Words of wisdom from someone who has never done headers on a S197! I've done headers many times, it's always a pain. Good luck finding a shop to do this for 3-4 hours labor.

I didn't say I could do it in 3-4 hours. It would likely take me 3-4 days. But I have used the search feature here and I read a long thread on LT header installation where several members here have claimed that they installed headers on an s197 in 4-6 hours. That's in thier garage, on jack stands and with hand tools.

Either every one of them lied or with experience comes quicker installation times. I'm going with the latter. Add a lift, air tools and lots of experience and it's very reasonable to think that under those conditions the install is completed in 4 hours of actual time.

But as someone pointed out they are likely not charging for actual time it takes but rather whatever it says in the book that it should take. Well and good but $650 is still kind of steep for less than half a days work. But that's why I'm exploring other options.

And for the record it doesn't have to be done at a shop. If someone here or on craigslist has some experience with S197 headers and wants to make $400 cash + food + beer for one days work or less then I'm ok with that too.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just curious, how long ago was the T/A header install? I agree with the other guys, asking for a four hour install may be a bit unrealistic.

I would call some of the other mustang shops around the same general area and just get an estimate. There are several around Detroit. Even if you dont want to go that far see what their rate is. If its cheap enough drive there and get it done.

2010 was when I paid New Era Performance to install the headers on my Trans Am. I'm hoping to find someone locally, either a shop or an individual looking for a side job.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
The LS and the modular platform are two completely different things especially when talking about long tube installs. The install on your trans am was a piece of cake when it comes to long tubes on a modular Mustang. If you don't believe us take a gander above and under the car and see how much room there is to work even on a lift it can still be challenging.

Or you can do it yourself, it's only a bunch of nuts and bolts.

I know they are completely different platforms engine wise but I figured exhaust pipes are exhaust pipes and manifolds are manifolds so they should all be relative. I guess not.

I may end up doing this myself. I down loaded a PDF file which gives step by step instructions with pictures. I found it on one of my searches here while researching headers. I'd still feel better about it if I had someone with experience helping me out.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Back