Attachments

• dyno 4 gear pull IAT, RPM, Spark.JPG
    dyno 4 gear pull IAT, RPM, Spark.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 50

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just for reference o nthe way home today, 70 degree air at a cruise of 65mph i was seeing 100-110 and the longer i drove the higher it got as the sensor heat soaked itself

shawn13

forum member
Reaction score
IDK if this helps but my Saleen w/ a 3.2 pulley and Steada heat exchanger will see 130-140 on a 80deg day . That is at the end of a run and gets higher right after.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IDK if this helps but my Saleen w/ a 3.2 pulley and Steada heat exchanger will see 130-140 on a 80deg day . That is at the end of a run and gets higher right after.

but you arent using ice or a KC. I am and see way higher

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so your lower temps makes me feel better? Just buy me a case of beer and get it over with lol :bigbeer:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I replaced the IAT sensor, no change there. The returning fluid coming fro mthe blower back into the tank ranges from 90-120 degrees

Joe at KC thinks the pump (frpp lightning) is the issue and states that under heavy load and acceleration it can flow u pto 50% slower making a 5gpm pump about 2.5gpm. He himself runs 2 FRPP pumps on his system to keep the flow up, but will be switching the the meziere remote pump to see if it helps. Based on some datalogging tonight he might be right. Also thinks i need to go with a 2-3 gallon tank as I do have a high HP car.

Ambient Temp 86 degrees
I did a third gear pull from 3000-6500

Starting temp was 102 degrees IAT

3000 - 102
5000 - 106
5300 - 110
5500 - 112
5700 - 114
5800 - 118
6000 - 120
6200 - 126

bear in mind that is ONLY a third gear pull and (im sure its obvious) at the track im using all 3 gears lol. It is hard to test this on the highway with other cars haha.

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am not sure why the pump would flow less under load unless the voltage dropped. Mine flows much more than the bosch pump that came with the KB kit. Those numbers don't seem to be any worse than mine. Granted 4th takes a little longer but you may be worrying about nothing if you are just seeing the spike after the run. Can you log the time and the IAT at the same time? I will look at some third gear pulls and post a screen shot again when I find a good example.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the spike is not after i let off the throttle. those 170- temps are 3 full gears at the track, this was jsut a third gear pull

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
I just looked at several datalogs. Mine really doesn't rise while in third gear. It only rises maybe 5 *. It rises 30 to 40* during 4th gear, so you are spiking more than me. I can see the flow into my ice tank. Can you see yours? Is there a possibility that you have a kinked hose? Are you using 3/4 inch or 5/8 hoses? Have you looked o see if there is any thrash in the pump? IIRC the Pump is a magnetically driven impellor. If theres is anything in the pump part it could be reducing the flow. Even teflon tape could slow the impellor but not stop it. I think you you can take the pump section apart and check it iirc. The flow into my tank shoots out a solid 5/8 stream almost straight out about 4 inches. If you can see yours is that similar flow? I could take a picture and post it if you want for comparison?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just looked at several datalogs. Mine really doesn't rise while in third gear. It only rises maybe 5 *. It rises 30 to 40* during 4th gear, so you are spiking more than me. I can see the flow into my ice tank. Can you see yours? Is there a possibility that you have a kinked hose? Are you using 3/4 inch or 5/8 hoses? Have you looked o see if there is any thrash in the pump? IIRC the Pump is a magnetically driven impellor. If theres is anything in the pump part it could be reducing the flow. Even teflon tape could slow the impellor but not stop it. I think you you can take the pump section apart and check it iirc. The flow into my tank shoots out a solid 5/8 stream almost straight out about 4 inches. If you can see yours is that similar flow? I could take a picture and post it if you want for comparison?

your 4th gear is my third gear (4r70w) I have a hood on the car so I cant see the flow. How are you looking at yours lol?

3/4 hose all the way through the system

There are no kinks. I even rerouted al lthe hoses up and out of the way, disregarding looks so that they arent even neaer the motor, headers or anything. dont forget my lines are insulated as well.

pump is brand new and flows perfectly and quietly at idle. i can feel the flow if i shove my hand into the tank and its moving nicely.

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
I was talking about the flow at idle. I can see the inlet line at the top of the tank when I take the lid off. When I drain it down some for ice you can see it shooting out of the inlet. It is a solid full 5/8 in stream and flows out 3 to 4 inches straight before dropping downward. Just trying to compare flow rate. You did say that you repositioned the pump below the tank to eliminate any possible cavitation? Right?

ocpony

forum member
Reaction score
your 4th gear is my third gear (4r70w) I have a hood on the car so I cant see the flow. How are you looking at yours lol?

I forgot you had the 4R70W so that is similar to my spikes. My 4th is from 85mph or so (4500rpm TC locked) to 145mph @ 6500rp. I have not been to the track since adding the new intake (about 100hp). I was only trapping 122 then. We may not be that far off. And since the KC disengages at WOT then it isn't adding anything except some flow restrictions due to more hoses and connections and such. BTW how many elbows and fitting in your setup with the tank, H/E, and KC. Fittings add the most to flow reductions in fluid dynamics. That is why I actually enlarged many of the brass fittings and smoothed them.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi Ron,

I have the KB pump that came with our kit sitting in the basement, if you want it to try and do the double pump setup it is yours.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive got a KB pump here as well but its the size of a fish tank pump. is yours different?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron, I didn't know you were running the lightning pump...:chairfall:

That is your trouble...period.

And forget that KB one as well. (and the whipple) - all garbage - Go to Summit and get a 'good' pump, (like Moroso)

I thought you upgraded your pump light years ago or would have mentioned this sooner. Remember Vinny's post when he said, "my pump came from a hardware store, not an auto store..."

There is a reason. The general kit pumps are garbage IMO.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i did mark, i had the meziere 20gpm one when i had the trunk tank, same one you have in your car now that ive seen in pics. i ditched it when i removed thetrunk tank figuring that i didnt need that strong of a pump to push a quarter of the distance. i guess i was wrong haha

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back