Makita or Dewalt

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a replacement polisher/buffer to replace my old Porter Cable buffer.
I'm looking at the Makita 9227C, or the Dewalt DW849.
Do any of you guys use or recommend a one or the other?
Both are priced about the same..

Thanks...

BLKBULLITT

forum member
Reaction score
I HIGHLY reccomend Flex orbital polisher! Amazing polisher. I sold mine because i never used it.. I like doing stuff by hand.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
Porter is made in USA, and if yours has died, they sell parts. Our manufacturers need all the help they can get, competing with china is no fun. they sell a finished product for less than our costs for raw materials, how the fuck does that happen?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DeWalt and Makita only make buffers, as far as I know. Porter-Cable is an orbital, which is a totally different animal. If you don't know what you're doing, you can fuck up your paint pretty bad with a buffer. Unless you have some serious scratches to take out, stick with an orbital...no swirls and easier to use.

For what it's worth, I've used the DeWalt and it performed perfectly.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
DeWalt and Makita only make buffers, as far as I know. Porter-Cable is an orbital, which is a totally different animal. If you don't know what you're doing, you can fuck up your paint pretty bad with a buffer. Unless you have some serious scratches to take out, stick with an orbital...no swirls and easier to use.

For what it's worth, I've used the DeWalt and it performed perfectly.

A Porter Cable 7424 is a DA (dual action)

The Makita and Dewalt are Rotary

The Rotary buffers are what you have to worry about fucking up your paint if you're not experienced

A DA is pretty much idiot proof, lol

Last edited:

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a PorterCable 7424x and it fine for some polishing, but I'm talking about cutting with sand paper and the buffing. I've been painting and buffing for almost 30 years, so I have a pretty good feeling for the process.

My 15-20 year old porter cable buffer has been good (which they don't make anymore), but I want to see how well I like the feel of the makita or dewalt.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
The only thing Makita or Dewalt makes is a rotary buffer. Hell, if you know what you're doing go for it. It's a hell of a lot quicker with a rotary than with a DA. It's just that some people should not put a rotary in their hands and be let loose on a car, lol

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A Porter Cable 7424 is a DA (dual action)

Tomato, tomahtoe...Porter Cable calls it a "variable-speed random orbit" polisher...

Thanks for explaining the 'rotary'...never knew what to call the "regular buffers", but I guess 'rotary' makes sense. :beer:

Our shop had DeWalts...they worked fine and we've never had a problem. A guy who'd we contract to do work used a Makita, and I think it was a little quieter. The DeWalt is a nosy motherfucker. I wore hearing protection when I used it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either...I'd just get what's cheaper.

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tomato, tomahtoe...Porter Cable calls it a "variable-speed random orbit" polisher...

Thanks for explaining the 'rotary'...never knew what to call the "regular buffers", but I guess 'rotary' makes sense. :beer:

Our shop had DeWalts...they worked fine and we've never had a problem. A guy who'd we contract to do work used a Makita, and I think it was a little quieter. The DeWalt is a nosy motherfucker. I wore hearing protection when I used it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either...I'd just get what's cheaper.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Makita...

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
I have the dewalt 849x. love it. gets shit done fast. plenty of power.and has rubber on the head of it in case it gets away from you. I think I paid 260 for mine

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
My son has used the variable speed dewalt for years

he use to buff large boats at the Lake of the Ozarks

he recommends the dewalt

I love OLD Threads

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back