Masters of slicks..come on in

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
How does this wear pattern look

Too much air, too little air

Comments please.

To me it looks like only the edges are hooking and the middle is spinning making me think Im running too much air pressure.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
That's sort of what mine looked like. Not quite as drastic off a difference between the inside and outside.

You drive them home on the street?

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I think too little air and it's cupping the center on launch. I also think you could use a harder compound, that looks like pretty heavy feathering.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
What tire, what size of tire and rim and how much air?

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I usually use as much air as possible without spinning with no regards to the wear pattern. My theory is, "Is it hooking? If so, try more air until it doesn't" for less rolling resistance, more stability.

Are they wearing out too quick for you, or just concerned on "how" they are wearing?

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Just concerned on how they are wearing
I have only been on two pairs of slicks on my own vehicles, and neither pair seemed to wear evenly, To me it looks like the middles of your slicks seem to be doing all the work, and that indicates possibly a little too much air imo, but if you're hooking like that, I wouldn't change a thing.

BTW, I like the family truckster in your avatar, hahaha!

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
So you don't run on slicks now?
I sold my 04 Cobra, and 03 Lightning that I had a set of dedicated wheels with slicks that I'd throw on at the track. I don't even have drag radials for my 2012 yet, but I'm hoping Santa pulls through for me though.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
M/T 28x10.5

On a 15 inch rim. 15 psi hot

That pressure for size is in the ballpark. I would give 12psi. cold a shot and see if that helps. Also, switch the rears between the left and right.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on a temp gun, that'd go a long way to solving the mystery. I could see arguments both ways, for pressures causing that, but temp would prove it.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
M/T 28x10.5

On a 15 inch rim. 15 psi hot
What is the width of the rims?
200711817130_rim%20width.jpg

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Not slicks but prob the best thread to ask this
I have read different things regarding storing radial and bias ply drag tires in the winter due to temp and softness etc
I have a set if et street radials that I'm not sure on how to take care of. They are currently at 20 psi I think standing vertically in the garage (as if they were on the car)
I live near Toronto (Canada) so it gets quite cold here. What's my best bet for keeping them as good as they were this year for me.
Should I lay them flat, should I throw them in the basement, what psi?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back