McLeod RST too much clutch for 450whp? What do you guys use?

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I need to get my clutch/Flywheel done before the 2nd annual S197 track day at Atco, i was doing my research and it seems like everyone has had horror stories with everthing but the McLeod stuff. They are Def pricey but since a clutch swap is a big job id rather pay a premium and do it only once. Also plan on getting an OEM slave and Pilot Bearing.

I was checking stock at American Muscle and the sales guy seems to think that its too much clutch for my application, im only putting down about 450whp and i dont have any plans to break the 600WTQ plane anytime soon... (see sig for Mods)

Any one have recomendations for my application? The car sees about 8k miles a year, mostly street with a hand full of AutoX/Road coarse a year and a couple of Drag events a year. My slowly dying stocker seems to be holding up for street and AutoX although its hard to swtich gears here and there but it really does NOT like Drag racing. Id like to keep a stockish pedal feel.

Although im not looking forward to shelling out the wad for the McLeod, it seems like its the way to go, do they have a model for S197's making less than 6-800hp? Whats a good alternative? heard to many bad stories about Spec...

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SPEC 3+... barely any more pedal pressure and modulates well.

Fantas

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't personally owned and used the RST; however, I have an RXT and have had absolutely nothing but good things to say about it so far.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I went through the same dilemma last fall and ended up going with the Exedy Mach 500... which I now regret as the pedal pressure is a bit stiff. If I had to do it over again, I would just have spent the extra money for the RST.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
better to have too much clutch than too little....

I had a Spec 3+ in my 06 Vert - worked very well, based on HP/TQ specs, it was too much clutch....

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Spec 3+ and AL flywheel, and it's too much clutch. Very on/off, no slip. When it gets hot, it gets worse. I didn't think it had much more pedal pressure until I did a "side by side" comparison with a couple of stock clutches, and this Spec 3+ does have a lot more pedal pressure.

The good news is, it doesn't slip, and still works like the day I bolted it on 6 years ago. Next will be a McLeod and going back to a steel flywheel.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want the best street driving clutch you will ever have go rst. If you want to stay single to save money and have a little more pedal effort go exedy 500.

Fastbreak

Hi, they call me Brad.
Reaction score
Ran a Spec 3+ at 440hp in the '05 S281 SC and it was too much. Loads of pedal pressure, and as someone else mentioned- the hotter it gets, the worse it gets.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ive ran rst clutches with power levels from 337 to 599rwhp. It's not too much clutch. The AM person didn't know what they were giving advice on.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I've dragged my RST that i got from Jeremy@S&H at my power for about 8 or so months. I've pulled a bunch of 1.5, 1.6, & 1.7's with it at the track. I drive it a few times a week. Great pedal, very close to stock. Pressure is good. My only grip is that it has shatter noise that is supposedly in all twin disc setups. It smells while at the track but has never slipped.

sharkbaits

forum member
Reaction score
We've had great success with both the RXT and RST.

If your interested shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with one for a great price.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I went from running Spec Stage III+'s at 450 and 650hp. I thought it worked fine. A bit snatchy and a pretty heavy pedal but oh well.

Then I put a RST in...........forgetaboutit! HUGE improvement.:clap:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Only thing I didn't like about the RXT is that there didn't seem to be much skip in it. It seemed either fully engaged or disengaged. Didn't get much time in that friends car though.

suprchrgd

forum member
Reaction score
Only thing I didn't like about the RXT is that there didn't seem to be much skip in it. It seemed either fully engaged or disengaged. Didn't get much time in that friends car though.

definitely had to re-learn how to drive the car with this clutch. the 4.10's helped for sure. its really grabby and i would buy another one...

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
You really can't have too much clutch. You can have too stiff a pedal. This might be a semantic argument I won't disagree with that but understanding is important.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You really can't have too much clutch. You can have too stiff a pedal. This might be a semantic argument I won't disagree with that but understanding is important.

Yes you have a point but I think it goes beyond a stiff pedal. I think cost and drive ability is very important. Paying over a grand for a clutch for a stock car is just stupid, and that is too much clutch when a clutch half that price should "never" (unless abused or very old) slip and be much more drive able.

I think the general understanding is

too much clutch = you paid to much for it at triple the current hp/tq ratings of your car and/or the pedal is too stiff and/or the clutch is too grabby with no slippage when engaging.

But when the clutch pedal is all the way out, the clutch shouldn't slip, in which case you are right and at that point you can't have too much clutch, though you may have paid too much for it and after a few months your left leg is bigger than your right.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My spec 3+ with aluminum fly wheel has been working great for me, but I am sure that I am just use to it as well.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My spec 3+ with aluminum fly wheel has been working great for me, but I am sure that I am just use to it as well.

I went with the steel flywheel...I'm surprised some think it has a heavy pedal. I only noticed slightly stiffer than stock.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back