Mechanical Boost Gauge Install

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Installed my autometer gs mechanical boost gauge and roush ventpod today. Just thought I'd share how I did it with a few pics.

First, pried out the chrome trim ring with a small screwdriver and took out the inner black plastic tube connecting to the ac system by gently prying up the locking tabs

Trim ring removal
feb3ae8d.jpg

inner plastic removed
49a4b866.jpg

the instructions that came with the ventpod were very good, so I won't dwell on that much. You basically gently pry the trim ring from the vents, then attatch it to the gauge pod. Then you slide the gauge right in. Fittiment was great, but I modified the plastic mount that came with the gauge itself so that it would hold the gauge in place inside the pod. I just trimmed a little around the bottom so I could get the nuts on that hold the gauge in place. Otherwise the gauge can move inside the pod a little.

The back of the gauge has tabs for a power(for the lights), ground, and a fitting for the small nylon tube that picks up the boost/vac signal. The tube was included with the gauge, but wires and connectors were not. I used some wire and connectors I had laying around. I attatched the nylon tube to the gauge using the brass fittings and ferrule included. I also connected the wires to the back of the gauge, being careful to mark the other end of the ground wire, so I knew which was which.

I drilled a small hole in the back of the plastic inside the dash so that I could route the nylon tube under the dash without kinking it(very important). I also ran the wires through the gap in front of the plastic.
8200f1fc.jpg

Back of the gauge with boost/vac tube connected and bracket securing gauge
42353b96.jpg

I carefully fished the nylon tube and wires out from behind the dash(pain in the ass). Then reinstalled the black plastic tube and the new gauge pod.
50365bb5.jpg

Next I pried out the plastic piece containing the headlight and dimmer switch using a small screwdriver. Then I located the black/white stripe wire coming off the dimmer. I cut away a part of the insulation and tapped the gauge power wire into this wire(solder and electrical tape). This allows the lights on the gauge to come on only when headlights are on, and you can actually dim the boost gauge with the rest of the instrument panel.
Pic of the wire
f1b121a0.jpg

I connected the ground wire from the gauge to a ground screw behind the center console/radio area.

Next I punched a hole in the grommet near the clutch pedal and CAREFULLY fed the nylon tube through(NO KINKS!)
e6bac8c1.jpg

I slowly fed enough through the hole that I could fish it out from the engine compartment near the master cylinder/brake fluid resevoir. It was a pain in the ass, but I managed to get it with a long screwdriver.

Heres the area where I found the tube
1187a89d.jpg

I then carefully pulled the tube along the firewall to the vacuum line attatched to the drivers side fuel rail. I tapped into this line using a 1/4" brass T(the one included with the gauge was too small).
75bdf457.jpg

So far I have the vac tubes zip tied in place. I also ran corrugated wire loom around the boost tube and all wires, and used zip ties to neatly secure all wires.

Tah Dah!
e62346db.jpg

Any advice/criticism on how it could be done better is welcome!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
looks good.. It should be in the DYI section and mods might move it there, but I'm getting ready to do the same thing myself.. thanks for the ups. :thumb2:

INTRUDER

Reaction score
Excellent write up. I just did the same thing but with an electric boost gauge.

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
looks good.. It should be in the DYI section and mods might move it there, but I'm getting ready to do the same thing myself.. thanks for the ups. :thumb2:

My fault...force of habit posting in this section!

Excellent write up. I just did the same thing but with an electric boost gauge.

Thanks! Wish I woulda went electric after trying to route that nylon tube without getting it all jacked up, but the price was right.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It doesn't set straight. You need to turn it to the right :poke:

I will move it to the DIY section

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice....that's one of my two choices as far as gauges. I also like the AmericanMuscle series from Autometer....but the boost gauge won't be available until this fall..

RH

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Nice....that's one of my two choices as far as gauges. I also like the AmericanMuscle series from Autometer....but the boost gauge won't be available until this fall..

RH

Thanks. I like how simple the gs gauges are when not lit up, and I think the green numbers with red pointer match the radio/ac lights well at night. Those american muscle gauges are pretty sick looking!

Turbolvr321

Reaction score
Is there any way you can get a POV picture, like from the drivers seat? Probably end up ordering the gauge and mount Monday, just want to make sure its what I want... Going with the Ultra lite 2 though. Love the silver during day / black at night.

Day:
HPIM0884.jpg

Night:
interior1.jpg

Last edited:

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could you have pulled the power for the illumination right from one of the switches just below the pod there...they are controlled by the headlight/dimmer switch as well??

BTW.....POV took me a minute. Pop Off Valve....Piss On Valve...lol...then thought about what was said about "drivers seat" and figured it out...lol...Point Of View.....:crazy:

RH

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Is there any way you can get a POV picture, like from the drivers seat? Probably end up ordering the gauge and mount Monday, just want to make sure its what I want... Going with the Ultra lite 2 though. Love the silver during day / black at night.

Day:
HPIM0884.jpg

Night:
interior1.jpg

No problem...I'll post one tomorrow. Those gauges are pretty sweet.
Could you have pulled the power for the illumination right from one of the switches just below the pod there...they are controlled by the headlight/dimmer switch as well??

BTW.....POV took me a minute. Pop Off Valve....Piss On Valve...lol...then thought about what was said about "drivers seat" and figured it out...lol...Point Of View.....:crazy:

RH

I probably could have, but I knew from another thread that the wire I tapped was connected to the dimmer. Saved me from hunting around and is very easy to tap into. It would probably be a pain in the ass to get to the wires behind the radio.

Turbolvr321

Reaction score

RH

Completely understandable. I added from the drivers seat so that people understood what I was looking for, I figured it would trip someone up.

:thumb2:

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
So you got that thing on the road yet? Remember you owe me a ride now! lol

Turbolvr321

Reaction score
Love it! Thanks a lot. Ordering mine tomorrow. But after looking at it from that view, I dont think I can get the Ultra Lite II. I am mildly OCD and it would bother me to high hell to have 1 silver gauge and the rest be black.

Last edited:

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
So you got that thing on the road yet? Remember you owe me a ride now! lol

I know!! Been trying to get the parts together for this thing for 3 freaking months! Scheduled to be tuned on the 5th, hopefully I'll have the right headpipes by then.

JOJOGT

2012 5.0
Reaction score
Thanks menace, that last pic gives me a good idea on the the color match for the gauge. I was originally going with ultralite II myself,but the black face on yours looks very sharp. I thought the silver faced gauges would blend into the dash better but after looking at yours, not so sure. Good choice and good job on the instructions.

usafimj

Reaction score
Great write-up. I'll be using this to install my boost gauge in a few weeks.

Back