Miss fire

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
when you went 12.2 did you have gears? Intervention on this board went 12.17 friday night with a evo tune and drag radials and skinnies. DA should have been in the - for that night though.

I went 12.28 with just a tune. Another guy, Omcar, went 12.26, same day same track, just a tune also.

His is a base auto, mine is a premium auto. It was approx-700 to -1000 that day.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think he has a CAI on it.

Search for threads by "kdanner" at modularfords .com

What are you talking about Willis?

I filmed both those runs albeit crappy video.

He is a good friend of mine and yes he is running the Steeda CAI on the 11.40 pass.

....and yes he tunes his own car. I am running the same tune on my car.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
What are you talking about Willis?

I filmed both those runs albeit crappy video.

He is a good friend of mine and yes he is running the Steeda CAI on the 11.40 pass.

....and yes he tunes his own car. I am running the same tune on my car.

Sorry, I thought he didn't use one.

Is he still anti-headers, or is he getting those too?

;)

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

;)

Well....I am not at liberty to say. The next few months will be fun for both our cars I believe. ;) I'll leave it at that.

:thumb:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score

;)

Hey George, wbt is right, I did put on a Steeda CAI.

The car ran a best of 11.97 at 116.31 MPH before the converter, almost 93 MPH to the 1/8th. I ran some 11.80s on a different night, best of [email protected], but I had pulled the catback off and ran dumped exhaust on just that one night, which seems to really help these cars. I never pulled the exhaust off again until this last Friday.

When I took the car out with the converter for the first time I had all of the exhaust back on, still had the stock air box on there, and it spun the tires on the wheels some which created a pretty good vibration at speed. Even though it ran 96 MPH to the 1/8th, the back half split time was no better than pre converter, the vibration killed it on the big end and it ran 11.44 but only at 116.16. DA was 1231', 60' was 1.57.

The next time out I had rebalanced the tires and added the CAI, as well as adding 60 pounds of roll bar. Fixing the vibration brought the speed back, it ran [email protected]. DA was much better, only 29', 60' the same at 1.57.

Draw your own conclusions, but mine is that at best a CAI is just a terrible return on investment. I've seen all the dyno tests, but my track results disagree. I do have some headers coming, and honestly I do not have high expectations, but maybe I will be wrong this time. I was able to work some deals to get both of these items for quite significantly under retail pricing, otherwise I would not have done this, I just feel that the performance gained per dollar is really poor at best, possibly even nonexistent. This is not a popular view, however I'm probably the only person that does all the work including the tuning on one of these cars that isn't trying to sell something to people on these forums, so I have nothing to gain by trying to hype up a product.

As an aside, I pulled the cat back again last week like I was saying. They had just scraped the track over the holidays, so traction was a real problem. Even though it only 60 footed 1.67, the car still ran [email protected] at 149' DA. Taking the cat back off definitely works if you ever want to try it, my car certainly has 30s in it right now, maybe even 20s.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Hey George, wbt is right, I did put on a Steeda CAI.

The car ran a best of 11.97 at 116.31 MPH before the converter, almost 93 MPH to the 1/8th. I ran some 11.80s on a different night, best of [email protected], but I had pulled the catback off and ran dumped exhaust on just that one night, which seems to really help these cars. I never pulled the exhaust off again until this last Friday.

When I took the car out with the converter for the first time I had all of the exhaust back on, still had the stock air box on there, and it spun the tires on the wheels some which created a pretty good vibration at speed. Even though it ran 96 MPH to the 1/8th, the back half split time was no better than pre converter, the vibration killed it on the big end and it ran 11.44 but only at 116.16. DA was 1231', 60' was 1.57.

The next time out I had rebalanced the tires and added the CAI, as well as adding 60 pounds of roll bar. Fixing the vibration brought the speed back, it ran [email protected]. DA was much better, only 29', 60' the same at 1.57.

Draw your own conclusions, but mine is that at best a CAI is just a terrible return on investment. I've seen all the dyno tests, but my track results disagree. I do have some headers coming, and honestly I do not have high expectations, but maybe I will be wrong this time. I was able to work some deals to get both of these items for quite significantly under retail pricing, otherwise I would not have done this, I just feel that the performance gained per dollar is really poor at best, possibly even nonexistent. This is not a popular view, however I'm probably the only person that does all the work including the tuning on one of these cars that isn't trying to sell something to people on these forums, so I have nothing to gain by trying to hype up a product.

As an aside, I pulled the cat back again last week like I was saying. They had just scraped the track over the holidays, so traction was a real problem. Even though it only 60 footed 1.67, the car still ran [email protected] at 149' DA. Taking the cat back off definitely works if you ever want to try it, my car certainly has 30s in it right now, maybe even 20s.

You're dropping the exhaust just behind the X?

SO do you figure the CAI is worth about .1 and 1mph?

As far as I can tell, that's about it.

I might have one to try out soon, I plan on doing a back to back test to see.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
You're dropping the exhaust just behind the X?

SO do you figure the CAI is worth about .1 and 1mph?

As far as I can tell, that's about it.

I might have one to try out soon, I plan on doing a back to back test to see.

Correct, I pull the catback off and then I have some bullet mufflers with turndowns I can attach to the rear of the X. I think the gain is mostly about the weight, lets face it, a 3" catback isn't light.

I'd say my experience is that the CAI was worth less than that for me. Yes I ran .04 faster even though I added 60 pounds. However I also fixed the vibration issue, and the air was 1000' better too. I hope to have the time to test the CAI back to back with the stock airbox at the track sometime soon.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Ok. I think it is fixed.

Today took in replaced computer down loaded software reset misfire calibrations. Drove about 100 hard miles no issues.

Usually it's kicked on by now.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
Ok. I think it is fixed.

Today took in replaced computer down loaded software reset misfire calibrations. Drove about 100 hard miles no issues.

Sweet. Hope it stays off.

jsnyng

Reaction score
Ok. I think it is fixed.

Good luck man. I hope it is fixed, too. There is nothing more frustrating than a pretty new car being in the shop all the time.

drewzx3

forum member
Reaction score
I went 12.28 with just a tune. Another guy, Omcar, went 12.26, same day same track, just a tune also.

His is a base auto, mine is a premium auto. It was approx-700 to -1000 that day.
Who is Omcar tuned by?

jsnyng

Reaction score
Did yall get it straight through Lund racing or from someone like evolution?

His sig on another board just says "Lund Tuned". I'm running Brenspeed right now, but I've got a BBR OR/X on the way along with their Extreme 93 tune.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back