Mod all at once or piece by piece?

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
Just looking for thoughts and opinions. So for my 05 gt I accumulated all the bolt ons and suspension parts and just had my shop put them all in at once not sure if I saved any money doing this but it was fun because it was like I sat in brand new car when it was done. Is this something you guys do also or install the mods one at a time so you can feel what each individual mod does to your car?? Now modding a 2012 lava red gt manual car. Anyone know if you save money doing all the mods at once?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
depends on the mods, if you're paying someone to do it, frequently you can save by doing it all at once.

Certainly if you bring a shop 15 hours of work you could potentially ask for a discount vs. bringing them 2-3 hours 5-7 times

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One at a time. This way, you know what the effect of each modification is. This helps in pinpointing what mods are most effective and in troubleshooting issues.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Save yourself the coin and do the installs yourself, which, leaves more coin for additional mods. This assumes you're good with a wrench...

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on what mods you're doing. If I had to try and put on springs, mufflers, cold air intake, headers and even wheels all at once, I think I'd just shoot myself in the face.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I would do all suspension mods at one time then get it aligned. Same with the motor mods, at one time then get it tuned. If you tuner will continue to give you modifications for each part you change out for free then I guess that would make a difference. If not then it could add up to a large cost to do it separately.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
My thought process when doing a bunch of mods all at once was "I have to take this part off to get to that part, so I might as well upgrade that one too, instead of putting the stock part back on". To each there own, but it made sense to me :party52:

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I like to go piece by piece for 3 reasons.

1. So I don't have to remember how a ton of stuff goes back together.

2. To keep my interest. I get sort of bored once a car is done, or when I can't justify the price of the next thing the car needs to go quicker. The longer I can tinker on a car, the longer I'll have it.

3. Easier to pin-point a problem after an install if there's less stuff, for example, I put my car back together and ran it after the oil pump gear upgrade instead of adding the supercharger at the same time just in case it decided to not run, or not run correctly afterwards, then after seeing no problems I was onto the blower install.

Some things just make sense to do at the same time, like when I go to re-gear a differential, I always take out the whole rear, and if you want a different drive-line, springs, control arms, etc, it would make sense to go back together with stuff you have planned on doing while the car is off the ground anyways.

Last edited:

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
Wow so much thanks guys!!! What awesome input on the subject. My wheels are turning now. Lots to think about. I think I'll do piece by piece on this car build. You're so right about getting a little bored doing it all at once. Kind of takes the fun out of it. The most I've ever done on a car is the intake. Thinking about keeping the stock intake as I've read it's just as good if not better than after market

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Do it in natural groupings. Like front struts + front springs..and rear springs + rear shocks..+ front + rear sway bars. Lca + uca + new uca mount, + differential bushing + LC relocate brackets. LT's + new engine mounts. WL watts link + eaton tru-trac differential + axle catch can. Steeda Front + rear stb. DSS-DS + bmr rear tunnel brace + safety loop. In my case with a small roush M90 on a 2010 auto, the bigger 62mm TB + new brisk plugs went in simultaneously. Roush Side splitters + CDC front lip spoiler/ GT-500 lower rear bumper... + GT-500 spoiler. You get the idea, more cost effective to do one or more associated items at one shot.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't go in debt to mod your car. Or do, I don't care. :shrug:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Check my poor build thread, I changed out the entire car. As I was fitting my stainless brake lines I realized this was the last factory part left, and felt despair.

We'll see if any of the work is any good soon enough!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't go in debt to mod your car. Or do, I don't care. :shrug:

I threw my rotating assembly on a 0% credit card for a bit over a year. Got my bonus from work Thursday and paid it off. Not saying I recommend it, but I did it. Lol
:everything:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I threw my rotating assembly on a 0% credit card for a bit over a year. Got my bonus from work Thursday and paid it off. Not saying I recommend it, but I did it. Lol
:everything:

Eh, you'd be stupid to not take advantage of 0%. I'm mainly talking about running a couple grand up on your credit card and making minimum payments for a year at 18%.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yeah.

0% interest was nice, got my car going sooner than other methods. just make sure your able to pay it off before the 0% ends and you start racking up massive interest

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back