Model Car Kits

usafimj

Reaction score
So I'm currently deployed and my sis-in-law got me a model car kit of a '07 GT500. I've never put one together so what kind of equipment do I need. What kind of paint. Acrylic, enamel, lacquer, etc? What kind of brush? What else somes to mind

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I can shoot you some more info later when I'm on the computer. Do you have any kind of model/hobby shop in the area??

Sent from my iPhone

usafimj

Reaction score
Nope. I'll be doing this in my room or at work. Probably work since I'm there half my day. I bought some acrylic paint since brushes can be cleaned with water and some brushes on Amazon. Don't have access or probably can't get paint thinner for personal use in Afghanistan for enamel paint. Also bought a paint brush kit

usafimj

Reaction score
Testors is the paint I bought. I'm excited to build this car since I've never done it before.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
My one suggestion due to limited availability is try and get some liquid cement, such as Tamiya. I believe Testors makes some as well. Do NOT use the tube glues. Also, some of the sandpaper style nail files to sand off the points where the parts attach to the plastic sprue. I also recommend something like a nail clipper (scissors style) to remove the parts. With the paints, some water to thing them will help it flow a bit better. If you can find some 'hair' style brushes vs. the plastic brushes from Testors, that will help the paint flow on better. If you can, at least try and paint the body with a spray can. I've doubled up masking tape (looped it) attached it to the top of another can and use that as a way of holding the body while you spray the car itself. I'll offer up any advice I can if you have questions.

Believe it or not, these were all sprayed with a spray can.

ram_pcmodeler_com_Thunderbirdd-vi.jpg

Testors_AlumaCoupec-vi.jpg

AMT_Chrysler_Concordec-vi.jpg

AMT_Rumblurc-vi.jpg

Revell_Gran_Turismog-vi.jpg

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
For a first time build I wouldn't sweat it too much.

You're better off with the acrylic paints you bought. Enamel can make quite a mess and is very hard to clean up after. Enamel will also take forever to dry and hide details. Acrylic is much better.

The biggest part of the job is going to be painting the body. This is is a GREAT tutorial for that... http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

Here's a Yamaha R-1 I built in '05. This was painted with Tamiya spray cans (very easy to work with). I'm not the best photographer but you should get the idea.

20130910_1545211_zps04569452.jpg

20130910_1544401_zps9138dfb8.jpg

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Nice job on the paint on the Yamaha!

Here's a Ducati I did a few years back, no where near as nice a paint job though.

I've been building plastic kits since I was a kid, haven't touched one in a couple years though. I need to get my stuff out and build again.

To the OP, Don't get to worked up about your first build. Just have fun with it and if you find you enjoy it get another to build and you'll hone your skills in time.

Steve

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
A couple more, my big thing is kitbashing. These are basically just made up out of my parts bin and kits I buy for specific pieces.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I haven't built a model in years. I would like to get back into so i have something do to on rainy days.

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
I am actually kit bashing for s197 models to make one that looks like my 07 California special. I am also taking one of the bodies and making an RC car to drive at car shows also. Car show season starts in march so I will see if I can get them done in time.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
in your situation, first model car, just get some testors stuff and see what you can do with it IMO.

if you are deployed to the middle east I forsee the moon dust ruining some of your efforts if you are not super careful.

if you need to use spray you might just have to skip that part. you need to spray outside or in a well ventalated shop area so I forsee moon dust issues again.

the glue I used to use was this stuff in a squeeze bottle and a needle tip. it was great for me but depending on what you are willing to wait arrive in the mail, regular tube cement might be what you are stuck with.

there are a million ways to get these things perfect. for your first one do as good as you can but don't sweat mistakes, it took me like 5-6 before they actually started to look like a mini car for me and not just a toy. embrace the learning mistakes and be proud of your accomplishments. these things can be a lot of fun especially for us gearhead types.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
oh yeah, and paint white FIRST

I used to have a separate set of brushes and thinners for white. the other colors get in there and make this mucky muck color in the thinner. the thinner gets on the brush and does not come out. if you are good at cleaning you won't see anything in any of your colors except for white. I have never been able to get a brush clean enough to make white work after it has touched another color.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I used to build tons of models, going to pick up a nice mustang kit soon and spend some time on it. Careful with the exacto knives, I sliced my thumb open like a banana peel. Doctor said it was the cleanest cut he's seen lol.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Use to be big into models when I was younger but more into gundam models. Biggest thing is getting clean cuts and having patience with the paint drying. Thinking of going tomorrow to buy a model car to burn some time.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, no space changes the meaning of your sentence.

Uuuggghhhhh..... Welp. Fixed. Lol

Went to my local hobby shop had a slim selection of models. Ended up ordering a tamiya r34 v spec. Going to paint it as close as possible to midnight purple.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Assembling a die cast kit doesn't have the same appeal to me as building 1/24-1/25 plastic, there's just so much more you can do with Plastic.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back