Model Car Kits

california gt

senior citizen member
Reaction score
For a first time build I wouldn't sweat it too much.

You're better off with the acrylic paints you bought. Enamel can make quite a mess and is very hard to clean up after. Enamel will also take forever to dry and hide details. Acrylic is much better.

The biggest part of the job is going to be painting the body. This is is a GREAT tutorial for that... http://italianhorses.net/Tutorials/PerfectPaint/paint.htm

Here's a Yamaha R-1 I built in '05. This was painted with Tamiya spray cans (very easy to work with). I'm not the best photographer but you should get the idea.

20130910_1545211_zps04569452.jpg

20130910_1544401_zps9138dfb8.jpg

i was just killing time and came across your R-1. Hot damn that thing looks real!!!!

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I think its the best when your skill level gets up enough to make even basic models look 100% real. when I used to do it I got so good I would make chassis and lower engine parts look just slightly faded as they would in real life.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread here.

I am just getting back into models a little after about 35+ years. Now that I have a 10yo boy, it seemed like a good way to spend some quality time together. I also noticed he was treating his Lego kits more like model kits (build what's on the box according to the instructions, then put on a shelf). I thought he might like plastic models better. I also have an ulterior motive besides time together: to get him to slow down, pay attention to details, build some planning skills, and some fine motor control.

So, for his birthday (November) and Christmas, he got several Snap-Tite kits and some Erector-type metal kits. He's into his 4th one, one of which he bought for himself. He's now talking about moving on to glue-together ones like I'm working on. Mission accomplished, or well towards that it seems.

Anyway, I'm still working on #1 for me: a '67 GT350. I also have a '13 Boss 302 and '63 Mustang II Concept waiting in the wings. No pics for now, I'll wait until it's done, but not too bad for basically starting from scratch again. Yay, just what I need: another hobby.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread here.

I am just getting back into models a little after about 35+ years. Now that I have a 10yo boy, it seemed like a good way to spend some quality time together. I also noticed he was treating his Lego kits more like model kits (build what's on the box according to the instructions, then put on a shelf). I thought he might like plastic models better. I also have an ulterior motive besides time together: to get him to slow down, pay attention to details, build some planning skills, and some fine motor control.

So, for his birthday (November) and Christmas, he got several Snap-Tite kits and some Erector-type metal kits. He's into his 4th one, one of which he bought for himself. He's now talking about moving on to glue-together ones like I'm working on. Mission accomplished, or well towards that it seems.

Anyway, I'm still working on #1 for me: a '67 GT350. I also have a '13 Boss 302 and '63 Mustang II Concept waiting in the wings. No pics for now, I'll wait until it's done, but not too bad for basically starting from scratch again. Yay, just what I need: another hobby.

Did you find this glue? Amazing stuff.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I keep saying it but I really need to dig out my supplies and build something.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Nice Porsche, I despise working with those large decals so my hats off to you for doing such a fine job with them.

-Steve

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yep, went straight to that. Just got their clear plastic glue in also.

@mavisky: oooo.....Nicely done. That is one of my favorite Porsches & I think I'll tackle that kit soon. I'll check out the page.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here's the McLaren M8C I did a few years back. Couldn't bring myself to install the wheels and bodywork.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Nice Porsche, I despise working with those large decals so my hats off to you for doing such a fine job with them.

-Steve

Here's the McLaren M8C I did a few years back. Couldn't bring myself to install the wheels and bodywork.

Thanks Steve. That was my first time playing with wiring detail, braided line and other "not part of the kit" accessories.

That bottle you see behind the kit was the secret to success with those large graphics for me. Unfortunately that kit didn't survive the move from Indiana to Georgia. Very nice McLaren there. Those Can-Am cars are some of the coolest things on 4 wheels.

Yep, went straight to that. Just got their clear plastic glue in also.

@mavisky: oooo.....Nicely done. That is one of my favorite Porsches & I think I'll tackle that kit soon. I'll check out the page.

It was a very good kit, but not the absolute easiest at times. My buddy took over that shop with the owner's son and took it online. I remember going into the shop with my dad back almost 25 years ago while he was looking for modeling supplies.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Looks like some good prices and an interesting selection. I want to support my local shops, but this could be a good place to find stuff they don't carry.

Beautiful job on that McLaren. I can see why you didn't want to hide the detail. Looks like you put it in a garage diorama--good solution. I can see myself getting to where I want to try that kind of thing. Gotta start slow though.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Yea they may not be local, but at least it's a small family owned business you're backing. They still have just the one physical store and the online store.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back