Motorcycle Road Racing........

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You will want to go and sit on each bike to see how you like it IMO. I like the way the GSX's feel, and the Honda's. Out of those 4 it would a toss up between the GSX and the 600RR. I have always loved the 600RR's. IMO you can never go wrong with a GSXR though. Plenty of parts for the bikes.

I agree with Jarrod. Go put your butt on every bike you consider. Each one will fit different in every way. I have been riding for many years and all of those bikes make good power so pick your addiction on what feels right. You may also consider the GSXR 1000. It has an option to pull the power back in stages. It's like having a GSX-600, 750, 1000 all in one bike.
BJ

I was talking to the kiddo about it last night. Went something like this.....

Me: Might start out on something small like a Ninja 250.
Mike: No way, Dad.....Gixxer 1000.
Me: Well Mike...I haven't ridden since I was 18 so that might be a bit much.....maybe a Gixxer 600.
Mike: Aawww hell, Dad.....Hayabusa!!!!

I'm thinking the little shit has seen my life insurance policy and now knows how much I'm worth dead. :rant:

Is THIS why u didnt finish that guys motor? Hahahaha. (hmmmm, he can take a joke, right?)
I'm not so sure he can............

:LMAO:

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ninja 250 would be enough for you. If you get an older model, say an 02 or 03 GSXR-1000 its honestly not that bad. Still fast and enough power, but nothing like todays bikes. You can find bad ass deals on 600's all day long. Alot of guys are using them as stunt bikes now. Buy a nice set of race plastics and be done with it.

Also consider the weight as well. It may not seem like much, but when you start throwing it into corners and dragging a knee its going to be a bitch.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
I was talking to the kiddo about it last night. Went something like this.....

Me: Might start out on something small like a Ninja 250.
Mike: No way, Dad.....Gixxer 1000.
Me: Well Mike...I haven't ridden since I was 18 so that might be a bit much.....maybe a Gixxer 600.
Mike: Aawww hell, Dad.....Hayabusa!!!!

I'm thinking the little shit has seen my life insurance policy and now knows how much I'm worth dead. :rant:

:LMAO:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone who said to go sit on each bike and see what feels the most comfortable. Each bike has a different seat and tank configuration. Depends on how big you are and if you want to tuck your knees into the tank. What year bike are you looking to get?

Meikol02

Reaction score
Ninja 250 would be enough for you. If you get an older model, say an 02 or 03 GSXR-1000 its honestly not that bad. Still fast and enough power, but nothing like todays bikes. You can find bad ass deals on 600's all day long. Alot of guys are using them as stunt bikes now. Buy a nice set of race plastics and be done with it.

Also consider the weight as well. It may not seem like much, but when you start throwing it into corners and dragging a knee its going to be a bitch.

I would start with the Ninja 250 (if you fit on it). It is cheap and really nimble, and with good power for it's size it is a great bike to hone skills on and work on technique.

Beyond that, a long term bike would depend more to me on placement of controls and the feel of the bike when riding. I went a year thinking I knew exactly what I wanted, until I rode it. Then I just tried everything I could find.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
most new 600's are good for low to mid 10's in the quarter and 160+ top end. they are damn fast. The CBR has more mid-range and would be a little more friendly if you havent ridden in a while. the R6 has one hell of a top end pull but nothing down low so you have to be in the right gear at all times (its about like riding a 2-stroke). haven't ridden the kawi or suzuki, but i hear the new kawi's big piston forks are awesome.

i'd buy race fairing immediately as they are cheap and won't hurt the wallet as much when you crash. don't skemp on leathers though. most important aspect of track riding imho. $1200 leathers are much cheaper than skin grafts

The 250 is a great bike to learn on and to learn to race on, but you're gonna end up bored after the 1st season and buy a 600. the good thing about that is they don't seem to lose much value. they are also slower than a new mustang....

a 1000 is a terrible idea for the track and a death trap if you like to push it like i do. i've ridden a gsxr 1000 and it will do 0-187 in under 20 seconds and put down 9 second quarters STOCK. they will also wheelie at 125 and all i could think about when it did was tap the rear brakes and hope it doesn't blow over. they also like to spin-up the rear tire mid corner.

As far as build quality (like quality of fasteners and stuff) its honda, then everyone else. the other brands bolts and screws seem to turn into a butter substance after 6 or so years.

n2052248_49259786_2343.jpg

Me at Barber's on my 12 year old 50,000 mile honda superhawk. not the best trackbike but an awesome streetbike

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I went through the whole 250/600 debate when I was riding while stationed in California. Laguna Seca had open race days all the time for bikes and I used to be out there when ever possible. I had an old racer tell me to buy a 600 and be done with it because I'd tire of the 250 class in no time. In the 600 classes, there's a shit load of guys better than you and they all know how to go around you.

So I shelved the 250 idea and got a Kawi 600. Man was I glad I did. Everyone else who bought the 250's regretted it within two months. The only guys who didn't were the lightweights and even back then, I weighed 210. If you weigh anywhere near that, and especially more than that, dump the 250 idea and go right to the 600. Hopefully you've got enough restraint and discipline to not wreck it before your skills catch up to what the bike can actually do. Like was said before, leathers are nothing to skimp on and neither are helmets. This includes gloves you'll probably pay $100 for if you get good ones. Hands, elbows, ass and knees are what we tend to slide on the most. So make sure you're leathers have replaceable or very well built up systems in those areas. Knee and elbow pucks are almost universally replaceable. Get yourself some good race skins for the bike, as mentioned. Also as mentioned, don't let your sense of style decide your bike choice. Let your fit do that.

As soon as you settle on the idea that you WILL go down at some point on a race bike, the better off your skills will progress.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Ninja 250 would be enough for you. Also consider the weight as well. It may not seem like much, but when you start throwing it into corners and dragging a knee its going to be a bitch.
That's one aspect I'm looking at since I'm starting out.

I agree with everyone who said to go sit on each bike and see what feels the most comfortable. Each bike has a different seat and tank configuration. Depends on how big you are and if you want to tuck your knees into the tank. What year bike are you looking to get?
5'-8" and currently 201 but losing weight. Two weeks ago I was 216. Should be back down to 185 by the end of February. If I'm buying a bike then I'm buying a brand new bike....either a '10 or '11.

I would start with the Ninja 250 (if you fit on it). It is cheap and really nimble, and with good power for it's size it is a great bike to hone skills on and work on technique.
That is the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront. Last bike I rode was a Seca 750. :thud: Even if I keep it for one year I think it might be a good introductory deal for me then I could give it to Mikey.

most important aspect of track riding imho. $1200 leathers are much cheaper than skin grafts.
I've still got a $3000 fire suit from when I drove alcohol funny cars. I'm not bashful about protecting my hide. I'm not pretty enough to recover from skin grafts! :roflmao:

The 250 is a great bike to learn on and to learn to race on, but you're gonna end up bored after the 1st season and buy a 600. the good thing about that is they don't seem to lose much value. they are also slower than a new mustang....
After outrunning two 750 sport bikes with my twin turbo car I can understand. :naughty1:

As soon as you settle on the idea that you WILL go down at some point on a race bike, the better off your skills will progress.
It's like getting into a knife fight.......sooner or later you're going to get cut.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The only down fall to the Ninja 250 is that small ass back tire, and they are FUGLY.

Other than that, pretty decent bike.

Back