Mountain Biking

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone into Mountain biking ? I sold my car and we are buying bikes to go ride trails, single tracks etc. I am buying the Camber by specialized and the Jett for my wife. I was wondering what you guys ride and where?

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Used to ride some back in college (early to mid 90s). I had a Univega with no suspension. At the time, front forks were just becoming popular, and disk brakes were unheard of. I imagine that is all commonplace now. I haven't looked into bikes in years.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Been riding for about 3 years now, north central florida. I ride a Trek Superfly 29er and my wife rides a Specialized Myka.

It's awesome fun, can't wait for the weekends to go get a 20+ mile ride in. Every now and then I try to sneak one in during the week. Easier to do with the time change like this.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've been riding almost my whole life. Right now I'm more of a downhill/Freeride kind of rider, but I still ride all the local trails. Lot's of options here in Utah.

I ride an older IronHorse 7point5. 7 inches of travel. I love it.

Riding the Gondola to the top of Snow Basin ski resort:

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Michigan has a ton of nice places to ride but Utah is probably has some pretty scary stuff for me just starting out.

JimC

Reaction score
I used to ride regularly - not too far from you when I lived in Mt. Pleasant. Had a group that we used to hit the trails with. Ended up racing the bike as well nearly every weekend, fell during a race near Rochester and broke my collar bone in 2 places. After moving to Port Huron I don't get out much because there isn't anyone to ride with, and after that accident I realized training in the woods, alone, is not a good idea.

I was just looking at my Specialized Stumpjumper the other day thinking I need to get out on it again though.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
I used to ride regularly - not too far from you when I lived in Mt. Pleasant. Had a group that we used to hit the trails with. Ended up racing the bike as well nearly every weekend, fell during a race near Rochester and broke my collar bone in 2 places. After moving to Port Huron I don't get out much because there isn't anyone to ride with, and after that accident I realized training in the woods, alone, is not a good idea.

I was just looking at my Specialized Stumpjumper the other day thinking I need to get out on it again though.

I only live about 5 min from the city forest so I am going to do a lot of riding there. Sorry to hear about your collar bone. I went to a bike shop that carries only specialized brand bikes about a month ago. Wow bikes sure have changed since the last bike I bought. Being a Mustang mod addict I started looking at a Rock hopper than a stump jumper , next thing I know I am buying a'Camber ..lol

JimC

Reaction score
I get up to Midland on business at least every other month, I'll let you know next time I get up there. Would like to see your new Camber.

Ecko

Reaction score
I did a lot of riding till my accident in February. Took a header off a jump and broke my neck. Finally dropped off my Trek Rumblefish today for repairs. I hope to be back at it in another two weeks or so.

Here in FL we lack the mountains but make up for it in technical. I ride in old phosphate mines and they are nothing to shake a stick at. People who come out there for the first time have no idea there could be such large descents and climbs.
I also agree with Utah being a great place to ride. I try to head out to Park City each summer to enjoy the trails. I made one epic ride last year, I believe it's the mid mountain trail. I hope to do the Flying dog run this summer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I did a lot of riding till my accident in February. Took a header off a jump and broke my neck. Finally dropped off my Trek Rumblefish today for repairs. I hope to be back at it in another two weeks or so.

Here in FL we lack the mountains but make up for it in technical. I ride in old phosphate mines and they are nothing to shake a stick at. People who come out there for the first time have no idea there could be such large descents and climbs.
I also agree with Utah being a great place to ride. I try to head out to Park City each summer to enjoy the trails. I made one epic ride last year, I believe it's the mid mountain trail. I hope to do the Flying dog run this summer.

You ride at Alafia River? What about Santos? I live up near Gainesville and we make it down to Alafia occasionally, mostly do Santos or San Felasco. I'd love to find some more people to ride with.

Ecko

Reaction score
You ride at Alafia River? What about Santos? I live up near Gainesville and we make it down to Alafia occasionally, mostly do Santos or San Felasco. I'd love to find some more people to ride with.

I ride Alafia nearly every Sunday. I enjoy Santos and ride out there occasionally. I stay out of the vortex. John brown and ant hill is enough for me at the moment. Have you tried loyce harper (carter)?

Would be nice to ride with more people. Helps build skill level.

Ecko

Reaction score
any8uvug.jpg

My rig currently in for repairs. My next upgrade is some nice Stans rims.

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently riding a carbon 29er Trek Superfly when off-road. Most of my miles though are on a Cervelo road bike.

In MI I like the Big-M trail network west of Manistee and there's a nice 10 mile loop trail just north of Arcadia off the M-22 on Nature Conservancy ground that I've done a few times.

Make it a long weekend some time and go to Brown County State Park here in south central Indaina. You won't regret it. Very nice trail network. I'm about a 15 minute drive from there. Nearby towns of Bloomington, Nashville, and Columbus are all unique as well. The Brown County Breakdown in October each year can be an epic ride. The Park opens up a few trails usually not open for bikes and links up to other sections of Hoosier National Forest. You can do up to a 100 mile route that day (shorter too of course.) And you'll learn that not all of Indiana is flat.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice 19Cobra93.

I ride a Giant Reign and do everything from downhill at Big Mt in Montana to just regular trails in SoCal. My twin has the Specialized Camber and he likes it.

This is when I first got it--I have since put better pedals on it, and better tires, but thats it:

GiantReign1web.jpg~original

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
We were just down in Indiana last weekend. We stayed in a town a bout 10 min from the creation museum ...been sick all week so can't remember the town..Greendale? One of the days we went to a bike shop a town over and looked at specialized bikes .while there we talked to the guys about trail riding and they mentioned going to brown county park. I love manistee area I am going to have to find those trails. Have you ever been to Magoon creek? A friend told me to go there a few years ago..it is a county park right on Lake Michigan . A great beach that no one really goes.

I'm currently riding a carbon 29er Trek Superfly when off-road. Most of my miles though are on a Cervelo road bike.

In MI I like the Big-M trail network west of Manistee and there's a nice 10 mile loop trail just north of Arcadia off the M-22 on Nature Conservancy ground that I've done a few times.

Make it a long weekend some time and go to Brown County State Park here in south central Indaina. You won't regret it. Very nice trail network. I'm about a 15 minute drive from there. Nearby towns of Bloomington, Nashville, and Columbus are all unique as well. The Brown County Breakdown in October each year can be an epic ride. The Park opens up a few trails usually not open for bikes and links up to other sections of Hoosier National Forest. You can do up to a 100 mile route that day (shorter too of course.) And you'll learn that not all of Indiana is flat.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Nice 19Cobra93.

I ride a Giant Reign and do everything from downhill at Big Mt in Montana to just regular trails in SoCal. My twin has the Specialized Camber and he likes it.

This is when I first got it--I have since put better pedals on it, and better tires, but thats it:

GiantReign1web.jpg~original

Nice looking bike...I can't wait to pick it up. I went to get it and they only had a med so they had to order it. Should be in about the end of the month.

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your crash. Hope that your recovery went good and your neck will not give you any issues.

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
We were just down in Indiana last weekend. We stayed in a town a bout 10 min from the creation museum ...been sick all week so can't remember the town..Greendale? One of the days we went to a bike shop a town over and looked at specialized bikes .while there we talked to the guys about trail riding and they mentioned going to brown county park. I love manistee area I am going to have to find those trails. Have you ever been to Magoon creek? A friend told me to go there a few years ago..it is a county park right on Lake Michigan . A great beach that no one really goes.

Magoon is a nice spot. Wouldn't be my first choice for the mtb just because of trail length but a great place to enjoy the view. Another secluded beach access point is south of Magoon on West Forest Trail Road. This is more lake level access were Magoon is bluff (great views though.) We've taken a week in July for the last ten years now, staying in various spots between Manistee and Frankfort. Both the Big-M and the spot north of Arcadia (called C.S. Mott Nature Preserve) are worthy. Big-M offers longer lengths, although I really like the variety at C.S. Mott.

JimC

Reaction score
My favorite mountain bike race of all time is the "Iceman Cometh". First weekend in November from Kalkaska to Traverse City. The first year I did it we had 300 riders. Then it just kept growing. Last time I rode it there were 1800 riders and my nephew still does it and says it is as big a race as ever.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I ride Alafia nearly every Sunday. I enjoy Santos and ride out there occasionally. I stay out of the vortex. John brown and ant hill is enough for me at the moment. Have you tried loyce harper (carter)?

Would be nice to ride with more people. Helps build skill level.

Alafia's a bit of a drive for us, but we do make it sometimes. We haven't been to Carter Rd. yet, but I hear good things about it. We'll try it soon i'm sure. The new obstacles out at santos are fun. The corkscrew is awesome to go down!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back