Mountian Biking---and GPS APPS

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well because of my knee injury and surgery, I really can't run 10Ks anymore without risking f'n up my knee again, so I have moved back to mountain biking. Funny thing is, during the previous 10 years I always liked mountain biking and rock climbing--but I got out of mountain biking after my car accident in 2009--where I broke my pelvis.

Anyway at that time, I just liked to downhill ride. I would go to ski resorts in the summer time--take the chair lift up and bomb down the mountain, so it really didn't matter if my downhill bike weighed 42lbs. I have been end over end a couple of times, so after my broken pelvis I decided to do other things.

So now I got another mountain bike which is much lighter, only 28lbs but still full suspension with 5 inch travel front/rear. I also got some pretty cool new GPS software for the IPHONE I have, so I tested it out yesterday. It worked pretty good, I only had an error of 21 feet in elevation over 1000+feet. This trail was Sycamore Canyon. It was a 16 mile round trip ride from the hills to the beach and back. The total elevation drop on the way down and gain on the way up is about 1,050 feet. This was an In/Out trail, as the start and finish flags are at the same place. Here are some screen shots from the APP:

SycamoreCynTotal1-07-12.jpg

SycamoreCynElevationVsDistance.jpg

SycamoreCyn2.jpg

SycamoreCyn1.jpg

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The app is MotionX-GPS

Here is what I ride---keep in mind its not like the downhill bikes I used to have but it gets the job done for what I ride now. A Giant Trance X3.

GiantTranceX3new.jpg

The wife's bike--

WifeeBike.jpg

And my bro's bike, a Specialized Camber Expert:

Derricksbike.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back