Moving the coolant/PS tanks

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
so long story short I just baught a used mishimoto engine fan. I actually got it used on here for a really good deal.

the problem is I am in afghanistan right now and I have not physically seen my car in 5 months. while surfing pics on here I relaized that the coolant tank and PS tank are mounted to the stock fan shroud.

so can I:

A) there is an easy solution, I can just buy brackets to move the stuff somwhere else

B) I can mount the fan to the stock shroud, however this kinda nullifies getting the thing in the first place becouse most of the weight reducttion is in the shroud.

C) just sit on it until a use for it arises.

If it comes down to C thats not really that bad becouse I eventually plan on going boost (deciding between turbo, procharger, and KB) so there is a good chance this stuff is getting moved anyways.

any ideas?

thanks

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no offense but your not saving much weight by switching the fan. the shroud plays a very important part in cooling off the radiator and coolant. If your mishmoto fan doesnt have a shroud, i wouldnt install it.

as far as moving the ps and coolant. it can be done

I vote C and leave the stock fan the way it is.

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
I would have to agree. The fan shroud is very important, because it allows the air to be pulled across the entire radiator core. I cut my stock fan out of the stock fan shroud and mounted it to an aluminum fan shroud I made. I gained about 3" of clearance doing this and it will still allow the fan to pull air across the entire radiator core.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran that fan for 2 summers with no shroud one of which was with a turbo. Worked great. Only thing that sucked about the no shroud is if your going to get into excesisve stop and go traffic 5-10 minutes plus, temps can shoot up 10-20 degrees and 20-30 with the ac on. I ran that fan on a mish radiator with a 170 degree t-stat. Centered it on the core of the radiator.

Like said though, you only save around 6-7lbs with this mod, its more for making room for blower piping turbo piping etc.
I eventually added a slim shroud that a member here made.
It is very easy to move the coolant tank and power steering tank and fab some brackets for a few bucks with stuff from home depot.

If you search there are many threads for peoples mounting locatiosn and how they did it. Here is mine.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25540&highlight=power+steering

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25680&highlight=power+steering

Last edited:

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
oh cool, look easier than I thought. Thanks for the links. I might even have enough scrap metal, bolts, hose, and fittings to do this without going to the store.

I think I am just going to hold onto it for now though. I have so many other big things to do to the car when I get back I think I will just stick it on the back burner for when I get bored one day.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back