Moving to the Austin area soon, with a few questions.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like my roommate and I will be packing up and moving to the Austin area at the end of May. We're looking for housing suggestions, good/bad areas of town, things to do, gainful employment, friends to hang out with, etc. I couldn't be more excited to start my new life there, we just need a bit of advice on the particulars. :beer:

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
as far as good areas you would want to stay West of I35 but will pay more $. If you don't need to be very close to downtown I recommend Buda or Kyle about 20 miles south of Austin. Housing is less and good area. traffic is a lot better also compared to the North side of Austin.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Hit me up and I will take you on a personal tour of this shit hole. Stay away from E.Riverside,Pleasant Valley,S.1st. There are some cheap duplex's off of burnet. Are you looking for a house?

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
as far as good areas you would want to stay West of I35 but will pay more $. If you don't need to be very close to downtown I recommend Buda or Kyle about 20 miles south of Austin. Housing is less and good area. traffic is a lot better also compared to the North side of Austin.

I'll certainly look into both of those areas, thanks! Any idea on what to expect as far as the cost of living is concerned around there?

Hit me up and I will take you on a personal tour of this shit hole. Stay away from E.Riverside,Pleasant Valley,S.1st. There are some cheap duplex's off of burnet. Are you looking for a house?

A house is preferred, but not necessary. I've done the apartment thing for a long time and I'd really like a house with a garage.

Dallas>Austin.

In what ways, would you say?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Austin is dirty, over populated, and traffic is a nightmare.

Just my opinion though.

Major disagree. Once you learn your way around, you figure out the quicker shortcuts away from traffic. If you stick to travel north & south down I-35, well...

As for dirty. Really?

@Chiron - Georgetown is a good place to live, depending on where you find employment. That's where I'm building my house.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Major disagree. Once you learn your way around, you figure out the quicker shortcuts away from traffic. If you stick to travel north & south down I-35, well...

As for dirty. Really?

@Chiron - Georgetown is a good place to live, depending on where you find employment. That's where I'm building my house.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it! We've got nothing in terms of employment, so our search is pretty open in that regard.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Austin is far from dirty. It's not a concrete city like Dallas so you will find all kinds of outdoor type shit going on and we have the "Green belt" if you are into that. But if you are into the city type scene there is always downtown. Ever see the show "48 hours"? They film that in Dallas.....you won't see that here. But yes,traffic sucks and can be avoided with some simple navigation skills.

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
Austin is a great clean and music city! I've lived in allot of places and by far Austin area has been the best!

If you are looking to rent a house then look into the Kyle area best value for the buck.

And if Austin was so dirty why do so many famous Actors, Musicians, and Race car drivers live here??

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
As far as employment If you have retail experience I'm looking to hire some Managers and Asst. managers.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Don't forget we've got hundreds of activities, festivals, concerts, South by Southwest (SXSW), and 3-6th Streets in Downtown!

I'm really looking forward to the music scene down there. My roommate and I are thinking of finding an upcoming show and heading down there to look at houses in the next few weeks. Any good festivals or shows going on?

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Philip Anselmo (Pantera, Down, etc.) will be holding the first-ever Housecore Horror Film Festival in Austin, TX in October. The event will take over the Emo’s Complex in Austin, TX from October 25th-27th. Taking its name from Anselmo‘s own Housecore Records label, the festival will see Anselmo and true crime author Corey Mitchell (who is also helping pen Anslemo‘s coming autobiography) showcase various horror, true crime, heavy metal films and more.
Live sets from Anselmo‘s own bands Down and his solo outfit Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals will also be featured; along with a set from Crowbar. Further musical guests for the festival are pending.
More info can be found at Housecorehorrorfilmfestival.com

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back