MT-82 to 6R80

rodmoe

Reaction score
A while back there was some talk of swapping out a MT82 for a Auto. I was thinking about this not for reasons on a bad MT82 but my Bad knees and shifting is becoming difficult at times do to my physical conditions. I love my car and dont want to take the 5 to 10 K hit on trading it in for something not as nice looking (to me) as the Brembo car i have now. That said here goes my question.
I have found several 6R80 Auto transmissions at auto recyclers and salvage yards. What would be needed to put this into my car and make it work with the ECU or PCM that is in the car now being it is a brembo manual car. I think i understand the 6R80 has the controls onboard the tranny does my car have to be wired for this trans or are the plugs there to plug in the trans and shifter. Or has anyone done a Manual to Auto conversion for the street that could be lived with as a daily/weekly driver?
all ideas welcome and again i dont want to trade this car in and take that hit i would rather build something i truly can enjoy driving and looking at while driving. as i have been looking as GT auto but no 401a brembo options and i looked at a Chally but cant in my mind afford it as i want one..
Thanks

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done.. But, there have been a few companies that have swapped in 4R75W's with no problems. You can use a manual valve body, or use a Opti Shift controller to run a full auto valve body. You wouldn't have to change the engine harness or ECU.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Best bet would be a trade in. You will come out ahead.

rodmoe

Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done.. But, there have been a few companies that have swapped in 4R75W's with no problems. You can use a manual valve body, or use a Opti Shift controller to run a full auto valve body. You wouldn't have to change the engine harness or ECU.
Sweet... Can you PM these companies plz ? thanks i cant find diddly of late :)

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score

That's more of a drag racing mod. I wouldn't want to opt out of 2 addition gears for a car that not a race car.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
That's more of a drag racing mod. I wouldn't want to opt out of 2 addition gears for a car that not a race car.

Really?? We all rode around with 4 speed auto's for years before they introduced the new 6 speed auto's. I personally prefer the 4 speed auto's over the new 6 speed's. We have a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac with the 6 speed and we both have commented on the constant shifting it has to do.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Really?? We all rode around with 4 speed auto's for years before they introduced the new 6 speed auto's. I personally prefer the 4 speed auto's over the new 6 speed's. We have a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac with the 6 speed and we both have commented on the constant shifting it has to do.

Yes really. When you take a 6sp out of a car to replace it with a trans with less gears, that is usually considered a racer modification. Also, I don't know what car you were driving around for years, but my 05 mustang auto had 5 gears. Oh yeah, your Sport Trac is a heavy and weak (versus the 5.0) truck, of course it shifts a lot, lol. In my 11 and in my 05, i could set the cruise to 75mph and it would never shift out of top gear, no matter how steep a hill I encountered.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Yes really. When you take a 6sp out of a car to replace it with a trans with less gears, that is usually considered a racer modification. Also, I don't know what car you were driving around for years, but my 05 mustang auto had 5 gears. Oh yeah, your Sport Trac is a heavy and weak (versus the 5.0) truck, of course it shifts a lot, lol.

Well I've been driving GM junk for the last 30 years or so. They went straight from the 4 speeds to the 6 speeds skipping right over the 5 speeds. If you were as old as I am you would understand what I'm talking about. Oh our Sport Trac Adrenalin has the mighty 4.6 3 valve which by the way still has it's #8 cylinder in tact!!!! :clap:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score

No offense, but that's a pretty ignorant statement.

There's nothing wrong with the 4R70/75. They are the staple of Ford's transmission program in cars, trucks, vans, etc. It has nothing to do with being a "drag race" transmission.. but, sure, they do very well in that environment as well. They are strong, and work well in daily driven/stock vehicles, up to high HP street/strip beasts.

Travis

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
No offense, but that's a pretty ignorant statement.

There's nothing wrong with the 4R70/75. They are the staple of Ford's transmission program in cars, trucks, vans, etc. It has nothing to do with being a "drag race" transmission.. but, sure, they do very well in that environment as well. They are strong, and work well in daily driven/stock vehicles, up to high HP street/strip beasts.

Travis

You completely ignored my main point, like COMPLETELY. I would not want to down grade from 6 gears to 4. That's going backwards. People interested in RACING often go install older technology because its better for RACING and they don't car about daily driving as much. Sure the transmission works in a daily driver, but its definitely not as nice as having a 6r80. Replacing a 6sp with a 4sp is similar to but not as drastic as swapping out a fuel injected engine for a carbureted one.

Last edited:

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
The reason for the 6sp tranny is purely for gas milage.

It also improves acceleration all speeds, especially from a standing start. The first two gears in the 6r80 are EXTREMELY high evidenced by auto's having such low 60ft times while using the stock 3.15s.

Argue all you want, but you can't deny that MORE gears is better than LESS, lol. The t56 isn't popular just because is strong, its also because of its number of gears. I will admit that there is such a thing as to many gears, like an 8 speed trans, but our 6sp mated with 400hp has no problems with gear hunting, its always in the right gear.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i can and will deny it all day long. more gears = smaller parts = breakage. less gears = larger stronger parts = more abuse

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
i can and will deny it all day long. more gears = smaller parts = breakage. less gears = larger stronger parts = more abuse

Definitely not auguring with that, but you're WAY off topic, lol. I'm talking about a 6r80, not a shitty MT-82. :ugh1: You should install a powerglide.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
You completely ignored my main point, like COMPLETELY. I would not want to down grade from 6 gears to 4. That's going backwards. People interested in RACING often go install older technology because its better for RACING and they don't car about daily driving as much. Sure the transmission works in a daily driver, but its definitely not as nice as having a 6r80. Replacing a 6sp with a 4sp is similar to but not as drastic as swapping out a fuel injected engine for a carbureted one.

I have no problem pulling a decent 60ft with my 04 GT, which has a 4R75W. It does just fine. You're contradicting yourself.. First you said that the 4R is for racing. But, then you come back and say that the 6spd is good for racing because it has more gears. So, which one is it?

Having more gears helps to keep you in the meat of the powerband, but it's not THAT big of a deal. More gears = more shifts, which takes time away from acceleration as well. But, sure.. if I had the money, I'd put a the new 6spd auto in over a 4R. But, it all comes down to cost versus benefit right now.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I have no problem pulling a decent 60ft with my 04 GT, which has a 4R75W. It does just fine. You're contradicting yourself.. First you said that the 4R is for racing. But, then you come back and say that the 6spd is good for racing because it has more gears. So, which one is it?

Having more gears helps to keep you in the meat of the powerband, but it's not THAT big of a deal. More gears = more shifts, which takes time away from acceleration as well. But, sure.. if I had the money, I'd put a the new 6spd auto in over a 4R. But, it all comes down to cost versus benefit right now.

Damn man, you're having a very hard time understanding what you read. My point was a 6sp trans can pull great 60fts AND get great gas mileage because it has more gears allowing for the rear end to be a lot lower that it could be with a 4sp. Having those extra gears also helps with acceleration at high speeds because of what you stated, but didn't give enough credence to. I put 4.10s in my 05 and it did help acceleration from a stand still, but it fell on its face when trying to floor it at highway speeds. I liked being able to mash the gas at 70mph and hit a 80-85mph in no time, that was lost when I took my 3.31s out for the 4.10s.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back