MT-82 Trans whine warning

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully my miss diagnosis will help some one from making the same mistake I did. About three months ago my trans started making loud whining noise so I figured I just needed to change the fluid to a better full synthetic oil like many people had suggested. Well after a month after that the whine got much worse and would make the noise when idling and would go away when you pushed in the clutch. So I thought it was the throw-out bearing and I was right at 60k miles so decided to upgrade the clutch being SC. After doing the clutch the whine was still there. After all that I finally took it to the dealer and after they tore apart the tranny it turns out to be a roller bearing that went bad inside the tranny. If I would have taken it to the dealer when I first noticed the whine it would have been 100% warranty. I do have to give a big thanks to both Ashley ( Social media customer service rep) and Debbie ( Regional customer service rep) from Ford. They were able to still work with me even though I was out of warranty and cover a large part of the cost. Also big thanks to Maxwell Ford in Austin TX for also helping me out and I'm sure they will have my car finished on Monday with out the annoying whining trans!

32V Stang

Reaction score
Was it the bearing between the input shaft and output shaft? Whine in ever gear but 5th?

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
Mine whines like a mother from 1st through 3rd. I had a twin disk put in and replaced the throwout bearing/slave cylinder & pilot bearing which didn't help, turns out it is the input shaft bearing and the only way to fix it is a rebuild. Mine whines just like yours and goes away when you push the clutch in. I'm fine with it and I tell people that it's the turbos, only enthusiast know better. Jeremiah Hussey ran bottom 9's with his making the same whining noise but 10x worse and it never failed. These MT-82's are a lot stronger than they are given credit for. The MT-82 is a big tranny and is actually quite beefy. I don't mind the whine too much, covers up some of the twin disk chatter and driveline noise :) I'm going to ride mine out until it breaks, my trans has been pretty good to me. Endured nitrous, supercharger and now twin turbos........

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Mine whines like a mother from 1st through 3rd. I had a twin disk put in and replaced the throwout bearing/slave cylinder & pilot bearing which didn't help, turns out it is the input shaft bearing and the only way to fix it is a rebuild. Mine whines just like yours and goes away when you push the clutch in. I'm fine with it and I tell people that it's the turbos, only enthusiast know better. Jeremiah Hussey ran bottom 9's with his making the same whining noise but 10x worse and it never failed. These MT-82's are a lot stronger than they are given credit for. The MT-82 is a big tranny and is actually quite beefy. I don't mind the whine too much, covers up some of the twin disk chatter and driveline noise :) I'm going to ride mine out until it breaks, my trans has been pretty good to me. Endured nitrous, supercharger and now twin turbos........

"MT-82 strong, beefy"..... Not sure where you get that idea from! They do make great boat anchors though!

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score

I thought of doing the same but Ford stepped up and covered a big part of the cost and this way I get a rebuilt tranny with the new upgraded roller bearings that should last me a good while now, and I can spend my bonus $ on the motor upgrade and not have to pay for a whole new tranny.

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
"MT-82 strong, beefy"..... Not sure where you get that idea from! They do make great boat anchors though!

You clearly don't know shit about the MT-82! Stop basing your opinion based on some internet warranty complaints. I didn't say they didn't have problems, name a manual that doesn't. I've had the motherfucker in my hands and I've seen with my own two eyes what one can do. I've seen one drop bottom 9's at 140 plus all day long without a single hiccup. Not many people making attempts cause everyone's rocking the 6R80's or TH400 & glides caused they want to be consistent. Most MT-82's I've seen with issues weren't from drag racing :asshat:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
You clearly don't know shit about the MT-82! Stop basing your opinion based on some internet warranty complaints. I didn't say they didn't have problems, name a manual that doesn't. I've had the motherfucker in my hands and I've seen with my own two eyes what one can do. I've seen one drop bottom 9's at 140 plus all day long without a single hiccup. Not many people making attempts cause everyone's rocking the 6R80's or TH400 & glides caused they want to be consistent. Most MT-82's I've seen with issues weren't from drag racing :asshat:

Well my previous '11 was a MT-82 and it was a complete POS. My buddies '12 pops out of gear, and a co-workers '13 is on it's second tranny. Three of the four MT-82's I've personally delt with have or had major issues. IMO, that is not "strong and beefy".

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
image.png

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know almost 4 year between 500 and 700 at the wheels on nitrous, centri supercharging and twin turbos without a single trans issue other than an input shaft bearing would say otherwise to me. I don't know of a single tranny that has zero failures. My point is any factory trans that can take 7 - 800 hp daily is pretty fucking strong and "beefy" IMO. The T5 is a bonafied POS, the MT-82 is not. Most of the people out there spreading garbage about the trans are based on it's Chinese roots. Well guess what bitches this isn't 1984, Chinese manufacturing has come a long way. Just like American manufacturing, you get what you pay for. The Tremec TKO's, TR6060's and any manual for that manner have issues and failure points. A factory manual trans that can take this kind of power all day is not weak by any means!

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
Well my previous '11 was a MT-82 and it was a complete POS. My buddies '12 pops out of gear, and a co-workers '13 is on it's second tranny. Three of the four MT-82's I've personally delt with have or had major issues. IMO, that is not "strong and beefy".

Ya'll motherfuckers need to learn how to drive a stick :poke:That's all I'm sayin.......

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Ya'll motherfuckers need to learn how to drive a stick :poke:That's all I'm sayin.......

Never said they are all junk, but mine broke with 108 miles on my old car. Has nothing to do with skill as my previous car was a mid 10 sec LS1 T-56 Camaro. I have been driving manuals for over 15 years. The MT-82 overall is just a weak link, be happy you got a good one.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a lot of people who complain about the MT-82 should realize its operator error

Some issues may be from that, but besides an extra narrow gate it's no different. Mine had internal issues with pitting on the metal. John Force couldn't have gotten around that LOL.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A friend of mine went through 3 MT-82 transmissions in his 11. Just based on his experience I wouldn't want one. He wasn't supercharged either.

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't start this thread to be a MT-82 bashing thread. My personal experience it's a great trans! The Tech working on mine even says that every thing in there looks perfect just that one roller bearing went bad. I'm running almost 600 to the wheels I drive a shit load of miles and I'm the first to admit I enjoy driving aggressive on curvy country roads and the MT-82 has shifted perfect every time. I most likely would have not even changed the clutch if I didn't think the throw out bearing went bad. Now I haven't taken it down the track yet but would not be worried about the tranny if I did.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back