MT DRs compared to an ET Street or slick

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Well guys im getting fustrated with the lack of traction. I am spinning my MT 275/60-15 DRs ....
I had great luck with M/T DRs... until I tried that exact size. I never could get the 275/60-15s to hook. Worst DR I've ever run. I wore them out before I solved the problem. I switched to slicks and never regretted it. They are lighter, hook better and last 3 times longer than DRs.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I have the exact same issues with my M/T DRs: either I hook really good, if track prep is decent and the track is still pretty clean, or I can't hook up at all and just spin at and/or off the line.
They used to hook up just great, but upgrading to a 3K stall converter just killed traction, or the track is not being prepped like it was before.

When it was hooking up, I was running the rear dspecs at 5-5.5 turns out from full, so running them a little soft, but it's what worked at the time. And that was with the DR tire pressures around 25, and launching at only 1200-1500 rpms and flooring it at the light.

But now I realize, part of my traction issues is likely due to the setup; as mentioned, having the shocks set so soft, the tires can't be getting planted hard enough, so they'll spin at or just off the line now. Trying lower tire pressures, down to about 18, didnt help.
I haven't tried lowering the tire pressure more while firming up the rear dspecs, but I suspect it would help to put more downward pressure on the DRs at launch with firmer shocks, which should help at the line. But, losing traction off the line and through 1st gear, that's no good; too dangerous. I don't like to get out of the throttle when she breaks loose, and only get out of it very rarely; usually i can get it straight and going, but that plays havoc on consistency of course.

Next time out though I'm going with M/T ET slicks. If it means reducing spinning anywhere at or off the line, it should be worth it. I'll be trying near full hard (1-2 turns out from full) on the rears, and full soft up front as usual.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of rwhp but I went from 275/40's street tires to 26 x 10 MT ET slicks. WIth the street tires I would spin off the line and when going to 2nd is where I really had bad wheel spin. With the MT ET's no spin anywhere. However on the big end I find myself having to drive the car due to it trying wander abit. I love them though

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yeah it's the softness on the top end that I'm a little worried about. I haven't run the slicks yet, but will be doing so soon.
Terry, wWhat air pressure do you run them at, and how much time would you guess they saved you over street tires?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back