MT ET Street Tire question.

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
I have a set of 26/11.5/17 MT ET Street Drag Tires on 17*9 Bullitt rims. I have a problem. When these were installed they were balanced, however, the weights came off. I would like to go to the track tomorrow night which is 2.5 hours away. Would you run them unbalanced or should I try to get them rebalanced?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it... I never have mine balanced. And if the idiots at the tire store do balance them, I rip the weights off.

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I never have mine balanced because:

A) you're going to deflate them to 13 PSI
B) The tire is going to spin a little on the rim anyway
C) When you get down the track you are going to take corner with them while they are 15PSI

All of those will unbalance a balanced tire. At that point the tire weights on there do more harm than good

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you ever do get them balanced...which I recommend, you put duct tape over the weights to keep them from coming off. If you run with lower air pressure, to prevent the tire from spinning on the wheel, you put in wheel screws (Moroso# 90100). Balancing is a safety subject. When you're at the top end of the track, the tires are fully round. PSI has no bearing at this point. Tires spinning on the wheel is a loss of ET. Maybe it's considered shaving hairs, but it is a loss of ET. My .02.

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
If you ever do get them balanced...which I recommend, you put duct tape over the weights to keep them from coming off. If you run with lower air pressure, to prevent the tire from spinning on the wheel, you put in wheel screws (Moroso# 90100). Balancing is a safety subject. When you're at the top end of the track, the tires are fully round. PSI has no bearing at this point. Tires spinning on the wheel is a loss of ET. Maybe it's considered shaving hairs, but it is a loss of ET. My .02.
David, I would agree with you if they moved a lot on the rims. But mine only move ~1/10" on each pass. I doubt that's hurting my ET, but I will bet that they aren't balanced anymore after a few passes. In fact, having weights in the wrong place may make them worse than no weights at all.

That's my distorted logic and I'm sticking to it. hehe :trout:

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
David, I would agree with you if they moved a lot on the rims. But mine only move ~1/10" on each pass. I doubt that's hurting my ET, but I will bet that they aren't balanced anymore after a few passes. In fact, having weights in the wrong place may make them worse than no weights at all.

That's my distorted logic and I'm sticking to it. hehe :trout:

Mine used to move from 1/2" to 1". It could have to do with the wheels themselves too. Maybe it's worth only .0001 for all I know. I just know if the tires are spinning on the wheels, you're not going forward during that time frame. I do agree that having weights in the wrong place is worse than no weights at all. That would only compound the issue. Wheel screws and balancing go hand in hand. One w/o the other is redundant if you race enough.

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't get them rebalanced. I was going to try to get them redone last night as I wouldn't have time today. I also took Don's advice and chose not too. I am happy with them as they worked better than the 255/50/16's I used to run. I am a little disapointed though. Due to the amount of cars tonight, I only got 2 passes in, both personal bests. However I am still spinning off the line, not as much as previously but... I would have liked to have a chance to get a few runs to find where these tires work best.

My previous best run from Sept 06, 1.8 60FT( The only 1.8 60 I have achieved with this car ), 13.68 @ 102 MPH. My first pass tonight, 2.0 60 FT, 13.62 @ 102 MPH. Second and last pass, 1.9 60 FT, 13.57 @ 101 MPH. I think with a few more runs in, it would have been lower.

I don't have a video of the first run, it was against a MX3 Precidia, he ran a 15.75 to my 13.62. Not much of a race, he got the win because I redlighted. The second pass, I have a video, it is not a great one. It was a bit of cannibalism though. 2005 Mustang GT VS 2005 Mustang GT. The other guy had a Vortech SC and a 75 shot of nitrous. He had the exact tires as me on the rear. I should have got my ass kicked right?

I didn't, I won actually and not because he red-lighted or anything. His car was backfiring beyond 4000 RPM, hence he was shifting @ 4000 RPM. There is an issue with his car and I do feel for the guy. Last year I watched him coast to a 11.7 when he blew his motor up with the Vortech SC and 150 shot. If he can work out the issues, that car will fly.

The video will be in the video post as soon as I upload it to Youtube.

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
I only got 2 passes in, both personal bests.
:clap: Nothing wrong with that!!

However I am still spinning off the line, not as much as previously but...
What tire pressure were you running?

His car was backfiring beyond 4000 RPM, hence he was shifting @ 4000 RPM. There is an issue with his car and I do feel for the guy. Last year I watched him coast to a 11.7 when he blew his motor up with the Vortech SC and 150 shot. If he can work out the issues, that car will fly.
Any idea what he's got for a fuel system?

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
My tire pressure was 20 PSI on the first pass, 16 PSI on the 2nd. There was quite a bit of tire spin on the first pass. The second pass was better but the spin was present.

The track I go to does not prep it for street legal nights, so it is a real tough track to hook on a Street Legal night. I am going to try and get both my cars to the final test & tune( 15 Sept 07 ) where the track is prepped. I would really like to see where the other car sits as it has not been to the track since it had it's drivetrain almost completely replaced.

I am not sure what the supercharged car ran for a fuel system. I didn't ask him last night and I can't remember what he said last year when I talked to him then.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back