MT82 Problems - Fixed by Ford

blackmustang12

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 gt with 800 miles on it. At about 400 miles I noticed a little whine in gears 1-4 after about 2500rpm. It hasn't gotten any worse over the last 400 miles but I did take it in and have a ford dealer document my concern about the noise.
The tech acknowledged that there was a slight whine, but just said to bring it back if it gets any worse because right now it is nothing serious and may just be normal for the car.
The whine is quiet enough that you have to have the windows up with the radio off in order to hear it. Time will tell if it gets any worse I guess.
Honestly though if a little whine is my only issue then I will consider myself lucky and not complain about it seeing as how others are having serious problems with their tranny's.

This is exactly how mine is. Real faint to where you have to have windows up and radio off. It sounds normal to me but if it gets worse I will definately have it looked at.

thezfunk

Reaction score
This is exactly how mine is. Real faint to where you have to have windows up and radio off. It sounds normal to me but if it gets worse I will definately have it looked at.

I just got mine back from the dealer after taking it in with this issue. Their only suggestion was to do the fluid TSB swap. This was after one phone call where they acknowledged they heard the whine which was followed up by another call where they said they could not hear it. So far, with the new fluid, the whine has gone away but I will keep an ear out for it.

blackmustang12

forum member
Reaction score
I just got mine back from the dealer after taking it in with this issue. Their only suggestion was to do the fluid TSB swap. This was after one phone call where they acknowledged they heard the whine which was followed up by another call where they said they could not hear it. So far, with the new fluid, the whine has gone away but I will keep an ear out for it.

maybe i need to call my dealership then and get the fluid swap. how many miles did your car have when you noticed the whine? thanks

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I still have a clunk noise starting off in first. I'm just going to get a one piece driveshaft and see if that helps. The whine really doesnt bother me, I just made my exhaust louder. If they can't get the trans fixed gives me an excuse to my wife to buy a "new and better" trans.

What was up with that asshole?

thezfunk

Reaction score
maybe i need to call my dealership then and get the fluid swap. how many miles did your car have when you noticed the whine? thanks

I can't say for certain exactly when it started but it was fairly early. I think I have around 3800 miles on it now.

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
I can't say for certain exactly when it started but it was fairly early. I think I have around 3800 miles on it now.

Mine's had a transmission whine since day 1. It's faint, seems worse when cold, but it's definitely there (gears 1-4). 260 miles on the car now, I'll keep you guys posted.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
I have a '12 and the day I got it I asked the service dept. to change to the TSB fluid. He stated that the '12's already had the "new" fluid.

Reaction score
I have a '12 and the day I got it I asked the service dept. to change to the TSB fluid. He stated that the '12's already had the "new" fluid.

The "new" fluid is QDC, which the new transmissions are being shipped with them. Or so i have been told.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
My car was built in 6/10, and it came with the thinner QDC fluid from the factory. My transmission whined from day one, and got worse and worse. The QS fluid was put in when they rebuilt it, and it doesn't whine anymore.

Travis

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
My car was built in 6/10, and it came with the thinner QDC fluid from the factory. My transmission whined from day one, and got worse and worse. The QS fluid was put in when they rebuilt it, and it doesn't whine anymore.

Travis

My car was built in 6/10 and has whined from day one also. It reminds me of the old Muncie M-22 RockCrusher I had in my 1970 Nova. I don't care about the whining as mine shifts like butter once warmed up.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
knock on wood but I havent had any issues with mine. However I did have to get adjusted to the reverse and how close the gears are. I did notice that you need to fully engage the clutch to avoid any grinding, unlike my '07. But now I don't have any probs. and it has 800 miles now.

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score
ugggggh! Now I have a horrible 5th gear grind. Started out with being nothcy in 2nd and now 5th gear grind. Shit! Guess I will call ford monday

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I still get the clunk which I assume will be resolved (hopefully) after the driveshaft install. shifts smooth however, I do get some whine but nothing terrible.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
knock on wood but I havent had any issues with mine. However I did have to get adjusted to the reverse and how close the gears are. I did notice that you need to fully engage the clutch to avoid any grinding, unlike my '07. But now I don't have any probs. and it has 800 miles now.

Yeah, I think it's more the clutch/hydraulics than the trans itself..

Love the Tool/Maynard avatar, btw. :thumb:

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
I still get the clunk which I assume will be resolved (hopefully) after the driveshaft install. shifts smooth however, I do get some whine but nothing terrible.

Funny, I picked up a "clunk" starting in first after the new aluminum driveshaft went in. It doesn't seem like a big deal though. I'm up to 2000 miles on the MT82, 600 miles with 545RWHP and no problems so far.

jeff s

Reaction score
My car shifts great, two fingers, if I drive normal. Only have about 2500 miles on it.

It was clunky going into second sometimes, before skip-shift elimination via a tune.

I feel a slight synchro crunch going into second and third sometimes when it's cold, but nothing audible. I consider that normal.

My problem is missing third and getting a bad grind about 50% of the time at full-throttle redline attempts. "Guest" drivers have had the same results.

I'm hoping a shifter/bracket takes care of that. Just sharing my experience...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back