MT82 Shifts High RPM

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
I have the stock Ford Dot 3 brake fluid now. I'm about to change out to Tilton Tsr-1 Dot 4

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
outside of being notchy when cold, my MT82 is a dream. and im on the stock shifter,bracket, fluid.

i have a barton bracket, and plan on swapping to AMS MTG to get rid of the cold notchiness.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
outside of being notchy when cold, my MT82 is a dream. and im on the stock shifter,bracket, fluid.

i have a barton bracket, and plan on swapping to AMS MTG to get rid of the cold notchiness.

Same here, awesome transmission.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
It is a two fold problem. First it's the GT clutch at high rpm. It was never designed for that high RPM shifting. The pressure plate is a little weak when compared to the Boss PP or any good aftermarket single disk. Second is the remote shifter. As the engine torques at high rpm(think momentum not torque) the gates become somewhat of a moving target. You can help eliminate this by new motor mounts or torque limiters. The clutch line, dot 4 fluid and shifter bracket(which I have done) all help but don't eliminate the root of the causes IMO.

This is correct I believe. I have a Barton Shifter and bracket. I have also disabled skip shift. My shifter can still sometimes be hit or miss but it is much much better. I believe the bulk of the problem is deflection. Since the bracket, I have successfully run through the gears up until fifth shifting at 7500 to 7700. I am not so sure a clutch will do anything. Stabilize the engine and transmission .

gizmo5

Italian between my legs
Reaction score
IMO, I think the MT82 blows ass for performance or, but for regular driving it's fine. There is a reason WHY it's not in ANY performance oriented car... At all....

Some people have different standards I guess. Example - My dad loves his stock shifter (which I'm sure most hate), but we have different goals and opinions on what we want the car to be. Some people think the coyotes power in stock form is amazing too......

To each their own.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I love the MT82. Its perfectly matched to the Coyote IMO. I also think the stock shifter with the addition of the Barton bracket is more than sufficient. Fastest car down the track I've owned, including a 2010 GT500.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
It sounds stupid, but putting a really heavy knob on my shifter made it feel a lot better. I was never a believed in such a thing, but I tried it and its great. I got a Blox knob cut from stainless, weighs 490 grams.
I don't palm the knob, I just guide it along with my fingers and it goes through gears very smoothly compared to the stock knob.

I also have a JHR shifter bracket but there was some sort of headless fastener in the body right where the bracket goes, so the insert bushing doesnt get pulled down tight against the chassis, so its got some looseness to it. Doesn't feel much better than the stock bracket.
I think I'm hoping yo get back under there and shim it so its tight. Hopefully it will make am improvement.

Geo2JZ

forum member
Reaction score
installed steeda motor mounts and a Barton shifter. I hate the shifter so far. I'm not a fan of short shifters but it is notchier now and it doesn't shift any better. I'm hating this damn transmission.

Will try the other things next.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back