Muffler Hanger Bolts

remainvayne

Reaction score
Several of the bolts that you use to fasten the muffler hangers to the body of the car no longer tighten. I know that it's the actually body of the car that is stripped and not the bolts themselves.

I sued to switch exhausts quite often and also switch out the mufflers for emissions every now and then. The mufflers are not quite loose and look like $hit because they aren't even close to being even while looking at the rear bumper.

What are my options for fixing the body's bolt threads? Can anything relatively easy be done or am I going to have to use self-tapping screws and drill into the body away from the existing bolt holes? I have used other temporary means, but not even Loctite or the works will keep my bolts tight and in place.

Any thoughts?

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
w/o looking at it i'd say maybe just use a separate bolt & nut. it's been about 5 years since i've messed w/ my axlebacks though so my memory on what you're talking about isn't very good.

maybe cut out the nut that's on the frame/body and replace it?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I always remove my axle backs by loosening the mid pipes and sliding them off the hangers by pulling the whole pipe with the muffler towards the front of the car. It's a very quick process.

I don't see changing my axle backs anytime soon but that's what I'd do to avoid stripping things back there.

remainvayne

Reaction score
I always remove my axle backs by loosening the mid pipes and sliding them off the hangers by pulling the whole pipe with the muffler towards the front of the car. It's a very quick process.

I don't see changing my axle backs anytime soon but that's what I'd do to avoid stripping things back there.

That's a good idea, but a little too late for me...

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I remove the mid-pipe clamp as well; I dont use the hanger-unbolting-methid unless as a last resort.

Your options are to use a larger bolt, retapped for it of course as mentioned.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can still remove them. The bolts I had in my hangers from the factory were self tapping.

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
you dont have to used the holes that they are in you can turn the hangers to still alow them to hold axlebacks but not use those whole, i had to do the same on mine works fine no shakking

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back