Music to my ears....

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Thats a great write up!!! I have been wanting speakers for mine, but wasnt sure it was worth the upgrade with the shaker500 stereo without adding an amp or something else. i will see if i can get me a set too. thanks:thumb:

Dude, just DO IT! I'm here for any tech questions. I'll post up a DIY thread later today with the wiring and all.

Just got back from running up to the corner store. Listened to CCR's "Run Through the Jungle". Had it cranked and was rockin out. Looked down at the speedo and was doing 110 in 5th. Couldn't even hear my engine, the exhaust or my radar detector. Before, I couldn't turn my music up that loud because of distortion. So now, I need to be a little more attentive to my driving while getting my groove on! LOL!

HOTRODD77

forum member
Reaction score
I think I realize what my problem was the 1st time I tried this. I'm pretty sure the factory speakers are 2ohm, and the ones I used to replace them were 4ohm. The infinity kappas, however, are 2ohm as well. If I'm not mistaken, that's probably why the polk's I bought didn't sound too hot on the factory amp. Am I way off base here?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think I realize what my problem was the 1st time I tried this. I'm pretty sure the factory speakers are 2ohm, and the ones I used to replace them were 4ohm. The infinity kappas, however, are 2ohm as well. If I'm not mistaken, that's probably why the polk's I bought didn't sound too hot on the factory amp. Am I way off base here?

I don't know enough about car audio systems to tell you. I researched the stock speaker #'s and tried to match them as closely as possible while still buying higher RMS rated speakers. All I know for sure is that these speakers sound beautiful!

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score

You are correct. When you connected the 4ohm speaker to the stock amp, you cut the power in half.

I was going to ask Frank, if he still had the stock ones, to check the ohm on the speaker or maybe it was on the back.

I was actually thinking of pulling the trigger and doing this. After Frank's input on the difference, I started to really listen to my Shaker system and realized how subpar the high's are.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
You are correct. When you connected the 4ohm speaker to the stock amp, you cut the power in half.

I was going to ask Frank, if he still had the stock ones, to check the ohm on the speaker or maybe it was on the back.

I was actually thinking of pulling the trigger and doing this. After Frank's input on the difference, I started to really listen to my Shaker system and realized how subpar the high's are.

Man, for just $150, you can't beat the improvement in sound quality! The tweeters have a button on them so can switch them from 3 to 2 Ohm's. I made sure, after my research, to leave them on the 2 Ohm setting. When I tested the sound in the car during the install, they sounded muffled when set to 3 Ohm.

Even though I've had them in for a week, I'm still impressed whenever a song comes on that I've not yet heard with the new speakers and was used to hearing with the stock ones. It's like taking ear plugs out.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that my passenger side speaker has started buzzing and breaking up at anything higher than medium-low volume. Was waiting to pay down the card a little first but I can't take it. Ordered two sets of these speakers (without the harness adapters) and looking forward to getting them installed. If they rock as much as you say, I may buy another set for the F150.

Thanks Tom! :hi:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that my passenger side speaker has started buzzing and breaking up at anything higher than medium-low volume. Was waiting to pay down the card a little first but I can't take it. Ordered two sets of these speakers (without the harness adapters) and looking forward to getting them installed. If they rock as much as you say, I may buy another set for the F150.

Thanks Tom! :hi:

NP brother! I think you will be very surprised at how well they perform. Especially when compared to the stock speakers! I listen to music much more often now than I did before simply because I can hear it better and it sounds so nice.

Hit this thread up when you get it done!

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Just ordered two set's for my 2008 mustang. Can't wait to get them installed. Will also be dynamatting as much as possible. Will post some pics when I do the install.

kystang615

forum member
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a pair for my doors, prob end up getting some for the rear too. Any advice on how to do the doors easily, any tricks or tips? Thanks

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Tom, I got the speakers today. I'll attempt installation this weekend, at least the fronts if nothing else. The rattle/buzz from the right front is killing me!

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a pair for my doors, prob end up getting some for the rear too. Any advice on how to do the doors easily, any tricks or tips? Thanks

Its pretty simple.

Pull the door panel and remove the factory speaker. You will need to cut the OEM harness and plug the wires into the Infinity crossover.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
How do you pull the door panel (without breaking tabs)?

Should be 8 screws around the outside of the door panel
Pop the window switch handle out and unplug
Should be one or 2 behind a plastic panel at the door handle (middle of door)
one screw (Torxs) behind the plastic cover behind the chrome door handle.
Remove the plastic piece around the lock (top back of door)

Pull door panel easy

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Started my install today. Rear speakers first, got seats and trim out, dynamatted speaker tray, and installed new speakers. Still need to do a bit more dynamat and put the trim and seats back in. Going to tackle the doors this weekend.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Before I cut the factory plug off, which speaker wire is positive and which is negative? I started on the passenger door.

I only broke one tab on the piece that covers the back of the side mirror, I didn't know it came off separately. This is why I wanted detailed instructions before I broke something.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before I cut the factory plug off, which speaker wire is positive and which is negative? I started on the passenger door.

I only broke one tab on the piece that covers the back of the side mirror, I didn't know it came off separately. This is why I wanted detailed instructions before I broke something.

There are a shit load of tutorials out there that show how to remove panels and trim in the car, pictures included. I reviewed a ton of them before I felt confident to take my panels off without breaking something.

Sent using Tapatalk

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Audio System, Navigation.pdf

LF + Orange/Light Green
LF - Light Blue/White

RF + White/Light Green
RF - Dark Green/Orange

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, the diagram was a big help. Tom is right, there's a definite improvement over the wimpy stock speakers. Funny, because I thought the stock speakers were pretty good when I bought the car.

I'll get the rears installed this weekend I hope. At least the rattle from the right front is gone now.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, the diagram was a big help. Tom is right, there's a definite improvement over the wimpy stock speakers. Funny, because I thought the stock speakers were pretty good when I bought the car.

I'll get the rears installed this weekend I hope. At least the rattle from the right front is gone now.

Glad it helped

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back