Mustang in the UK

coffeydp

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully this will cover some tech. I am currently stationed in the UK, and have to change my tail lights to their spec. What this entails is changing my turn signals amber. I know I will need to remove one of my reverse lights but with the sequential effect, how do I require this to work correctly? Basically I need to only have one turn signal per side, and in one of the reverse housings. I thought about maybe a swithback, for the one turn signal, but still need help with how to re-wire this. Can any of the wiring gurus lend a hand? Thanks

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
How long are you going to be stationed there? I ask because the length of time this has to work this way can influence whether or not someone suggests a more permanent solution or a temporary fix.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the turn signals are digitally controlled...

Try this. Tap into the FRONT turn signals, run wires to the back, then replace a back up bulb on each side with your new turn signal.

Problem is, I have no idea how to keep the red taillights from blinking, too...

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ah i see, yeah i will do that...but yeah how do i stop the OEM from blinking, and not throwing a fault flash.

Disconnect the factory taillight wiring and directly wire the taillights into the third brake light? Then wire the other connector into the parking lights?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk.

WereWolf

forum member
Reaction score
this sounds like a stupid problem to have, are they ford stealership there any use?

coffeydp

forum member
Reaction score
Trust me i know. There are Ford dealerships here, but they dont have anything that can help with this, as they do not have anything close the the Mustang here.

Sky, once i disconnect the factory taillight, i will get the rapid flash for the fronts, and the law is no more that 2 flashes per second. Maybe someone knows something to re-wire in the control module?

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
What happens if you do nothing? Ticket? Car Impounded? If it's a fairly minor consequence I'd just leave it stock and say screw it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are there any "export" lights that might work? Can you get a waiver due to financial hardship to comply? Can the fact it's registered to a military member give you some sort of out?

SkidAce

Reaction score
Military won't help him, in fact its mostly military that brings the american cars over there that need changing.

OP, you may want to do it yourself, but I found out when I was stationed in England that it was a lot easier to have a local auto shop do it.

They are normally used to doing this for all the coming and going military members, and they can switch it back when you leave.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Reaction score
What happens if you do nothing? Ticket? Car Impounded? If it's a fairly minor consequence I'd just leave it stock and say screw it.

And if I recall, if you do nothing you won't even be able to get tags for it. and you can't run you American tags over there...so you would be SOL.

I'd even consider not taking the mustang and buying a local beater while there. The roads tore up my modified Ford Probe, and it was a magnet for car thieves.

Broken into three times and the first time they stole my radio and borke the dash and I had only had it in country one night.

Lot's more petty crime in England, less violent crime (or used to be).

OP: reread thread and noticed you were already there...sorry.

coffeydp

forum member
Reaction score
Werewolf, yeah i thought the switchbacks would be awesome, but with that the lenses are red, so they will be red still when they flash...i assume.

Backroad, like SkidAce said, i cant register my car without it passing a test, and that is one of the components.

tjm, i have looked online for some euro lights, but no one is making them yet, they stop at 2009. And def no waivers.

Skid, you sound like you have been here before, but yeah the crime around where i live is pretty good, unless misplacing your teeth or not making it to the coffee shop by noon is a crime...lots of gray hairs!

I will look into the switchback and see what happens...Thanks guys

coffeydp

forum member
Reaction score
So I just looked at the LED factory bulbs, and there is no way you can just replace the bulb. it looks like those will have to come from Ford, so no dice on that!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Werewolf, yeah i thought the switchbacks would be awesome, but with that the lenses are red, so they will be red still when they flash...i assume.

Backroad, like SkidAce said, i cant register my car without it passing a test, and that is one of the components.

tjm, i have looked online for some euro lights, but no one is making them yet, they stop at 2009. And def no waivers.

Skid, you sound like you have been here before, but yeah the crime around where i live is pretty good, unless misplacing your teeth or not making it to the coffee shop by noon is a crime...lots of gray hairs!

I will look into the switchback and see what happens...Thanks guys

You put the switchback bulbs in the reverse light!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back