My autocross progress/build thread. ESP/ STP

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
I've made a few threads about upgrades I've performed and I finally decided to put them all in one and share my experiences. Your ideas and criticism are welcome as I go along.

The car. It's a 2013 mustang gt premium with 3.31 gears and a manual transmission. Started out painfully stock.

From there I went to my first event and plowed through the cones in F stock.

And then the modding started. I've added the Vorshlag bilstein and camber plate set up accompanied by steeda sport springs, kooks headers and full exhaust, whiteline sway bars front and rear, whiteline control arms and relocation brackets, brembo brakes with carbotech pads and vorshlag brake lines, and finally my race wheels and tires are the vorshlag/forgestar f14 18x11 set up with 315/30-18 hoosier a6 tires.

Last edited:

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
I've done 2 schools, and 8 events total now and I'll be gearing the car towards STP once I burn up the Hoosiers I have in ESP. This past weekend I attempted my first race on the purple crack and wow. I only got 1 run in that was dry and the car drives completely different than I had been used to. Don't hate too bad on the mistakes I usually take it easy on run 1 then go for it. Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/Cetw6QnDNxM

I'll cover more in my next post. My lunch break is up so back to work!

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Nice thread...hope STP is sucessful

Last edited:

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
So here are the things I noticed in my extremely limited time on Hoosiers.
1. I need to be quicker and more aggressive with my inputs. Extremely low grip street tires have me in the mindset of trying to be easy and smooth with throttle and steering inputs whereas the Hoosiers are begging to be thrashed like a $2 prostitute.
2. I need a seat and harness. Badly. I'm sure I lost time trying to hold my big ass upright to see where I was going. Again. Wasn't as much of a problem until I discovered the purple crack grip.
3. Hello body roll. With that level of tire grip my car felt like it rolled nearly as bad as it did stock. Thankfully it didn't drive as bad to go along with it. I. Need. Moar. Spring. Rate.
4. Carbotech 1521's are no where near aggressive enough for these tires. My braking felt horrible
5.And finally, a6's are absolutely pointless in the wet. The video is of my one and only dry run last Sunday. While waiting in line for run 2 it just opened up and it was all I could do to stay on course and not send the finish line timing equipment on a one way trip to electronics heaven.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
What are your sway bar settings? I have my Whiteline bars on full stiff front, 2nd hole rear. Similar suspension setup. Very well balanced on street tires, with little body roll.

Last edited:

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
What are your sway bar settings? I have my Whiteline bars on full stiff front, 2nd hole rear. Similar suspension setup. Very well balances on street tires

I usually run 4 front 2 rear on the street and move the rear to 3 when I autocross as it seemed to help the car change direction quicker. On street tires I had to be smooth with the throttle at that setting. The Hoosiers seemed like they wanted it all and wanted it now. Lol

*edit* I just checked my rear bar setting. It was still at 2 on Sunday. I forgot to check and change it before..... Might explain why the car felt lazy to me. Oops.

Last edited:

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Update for 6/29/2015-

I've been talking with csamsh and others about my goals and primary uses with the car and I've decided to remove the headers and cat-less mid pipe in favor of the stock exhaust. 400ish WHP with a tune is plenty for autocross and it'll free up funds for a seat and other parts that'll actually help me. I'll also be selling my DSS 1-piece driveshaft as it's not ST legal. Stay tuned as soon as it sells there will be a couple of pretty awesome updates to follow!

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'd keep the headers, add cats, and retune the engine with a linear throttle for autocross use. The headers added the most torque and HP to our engine than any other modification and that made it easier to autocross.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back