My house project

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
I bought this house shortly before Christmas last year. I'm single but my parents are not in the best financial situation, so I decided to get a large house so they had somewhere to live. They were previously employed in Michigan but lost their jobs when the economy went south. They have always helped me and I decided it was time to repay the favor.

It's 1,900 sq. ft. and was built in 1964. Has 4 bedrooms, two car garage, formal dining room, 2 bathrooms, and hardwood floors. Previous owner installed new heater and air conditioner. He also replaced all the windows. I got it in short sale for $79,000. I will try to get some inside pictures.

So far, I have:

-Replaced the front and rear door.
-Replaced the garage doors.
-Removed the wood paneling from the bedrooms and family room. I drywalled those rooms.
-Removed the crappy linoleum from the foyer and kitchen. Refinished the hard woods in the foyer and put down ceramic in the kitchen.
-Replaced the counter tops.
-Bought new appliances for the house. (to be expected for any house purchase)
-Painted the outside trim white.
-Had a company come and remove the mold from crawlspace under the kitchen.
-Completely remodeled the main bathroom. It was not even functional before.
-Updated the master bathroom with new vanity and toilet.
-Painted every room and put down new base boards in every room.
-The family room was the only room without real hard woods, so I put in laminate that matches. It previously had carpet soaked in cat urine.
-Routed out the kitchen cupboard doors and put in beaded glass. Also replaced the handles and hinges with nickle hardware.

Next step is to fix the front steps, put up shutters, and paint the handrail. Maybe put some new bushes under the front window. I eventually want to redo the driveway but that is an expensive venture.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Nice looking house. Good to help out parents after they changed your diapers :p
Hope they can get back into some good jobs and get a nice house for themselves again

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
Nice looking house. Good to help out parents after they changed your diapers :p
Hope they can get back into some good jobs and get a nice house for themselves again

The big problem is that my dad has no formal education. He was the bread winner and spent years working in an auto plant. They both recently found jobs here in Alabama but they don't pay so well.

Also, if anyone is wondering why my 5.0 is stock, it's because of that damn house. It takes all my mod money. :(

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with spending $ for a nice house. Youll probably have it longer then your car, or atleast it looks nice when you unite over others. Can't throw a party for your friends in the back of a stang. No matter how nice it is

Jusmiwill

forum member
Reaction score
what son parents must be proud man. great looking house

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
You cant get a shed for $79k on Maui. Nice score. Good for you for helping your folks out. I would of done the same if mine were still around.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
That's awesome of you man. I try to help my folks every chance I get. Nice to see other people do the same.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back