My local AutoZone is selling API Royal Purple for $1 a quart

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
I have a shop acct through work, one of my techs just called me about this from the store. I assume they're doing a closeout, but I can get it delivered from other local stores. Its the API version, but still, almost any synthetic oil at $1 a quart is worth it.

You may want to call your local store.

I told him, I want ALL of it, hahaha

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Buy every quart you can get your hands on and stockpile it in the garage. You just saved hundreds of dollars on all your oil changes for the next 6-8 years.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Buy every quart you can get your hands on and stockpile it in the garage. You just saved hundreds of dollars on all your oil changes for the next 6-8 years.

Or you could even buy it all and resell it...

Doesn't oil have a shelf life though?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Now wait a damn minute.

Isn't this what you're studying in skool?

And you're asking us?

LOL

Lol I'm studying mechanical engineering, not chemical engineering or chemistry lol.

Though technically everything breaks down over time, even diamonds. That's different though.

I would imagine most commercially available engine oils do have some sort of shelf life, but it's probably pretty long if it's kept inside.

But idk. Like I said, I'm not studying how the molecular structure breaks down over time lol.

kell0177

Reaction score
Valvoline rep came into my store today. He said that it doesn't have a shelf life or any kind of expiration date.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score

I'm running out of my last stockpile, I found a guy at a car meet years ago selling cases of mobil 1 for 20 (6qt) and royal purple for 30 (12qt). I bought everything he had.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Valvoline rep came into my store today. He said that it doesn't have a shelf life or any kind of expiration date.

BS.....I got some old VR1 oil, was 1.5 years old and I thought it wouldn't matter....but it had a clear flaky substance in it. I always check the dates on my oil now.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I've seen Kendall oil have weird flakes in the bottom of the quart when it got to be old.

kell0177

Reaction score
Probably shouldn't trust people promoting their product. Just trying to make money lol

BS.....I got some old VR1 oil, was 1.5 years old and I thought it wouldn't matter....but it had a clear flaky substance in it. I always check the dates on my oil now.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exxonmobil website says 5 years. Includes synthetics.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Yea I figured there was a shelf life.

If there's one in fuel, why wouldn't there be one on oil? They're both made from the same stuff.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Kinda odd something that was in the ground for MILLIONS of years has a shelf life huh? Lol
Probably just for the additives though.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Kinda odd something that was in the ground for MILLIONS of years has a shelf life huh? Lol

or the container they are sold in? the VR1 i had issues with looked like flat thin clear flakes, like fish food.

kell0177

Reaction score
or the container they are sold in? the VR1 i had issues with looked like flat thin clear flakes, like fish food.

You're probably right. I've seen some old (3-5 years) bottles of Castrol and it looks like the oil is starting to leech through the bottle.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

Exactly.

You wouldn't want to put what comes out of the ground anywhere near your car, I promise you.

It takes a LOT of refining to make it into engine oil and gasoline.

Back