My SW preout is taken, but I want to add a sub...

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
How do I go about doing this?

In order to retain the Shaker 500 system, the SW preout is used. Now I want to add an additional 10-12'' sub (still undecided) to the trunk. I'm not too sure where to go with the RCA cables, though. I've got a Kenwood DDX5901HD head unit. There are 3 sets of preouts.

Can I run an RCA splitter to send signal to both the Shaker amp and the amp I want to install?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
yes, two of these

41rRMLLhz5L._SX450_.jpg

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome. That's what my first thought was, but I read mixed feelings about it. Some said the voltage would be cut in half and they would both under perform and others said it would be fine

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Bumping this back up with a couple more questions.

With the stock head unit, people say NOT to tap the rear speakers with a LOC because it doesn't receive a full range signal. Does anyone know if it gets a full range signal with an aftermarket head unit? I think I want to run the sub off the LOC and plug the door subs into the sub preout on my headunit and use the crossover on an amp

I ended up getting the sub installed and while it sounds decent, the door subs sounded like ass trying to match (used Y splitters) the low frequencies. I have them unplugged and I removed the stock Shaker amps.

I will be replacing the 6x8s in the door and I'm considering getting the Shelby/Kicker door sub replacements and a 4 channel amp to power the 6x8s and the 8'' subs. My only issue would be how much power is needed to make it all sound good. The stock shaker amps would only put out like 25rms for the door subs and thats nowhere near enough for the Kickers. The 6x8s are 65w RMS, but I don't know if the door subs will sound good with that amount of power.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Just use a different set of pre-outs, and set the LP filter on the amp for the SW? I mean, it doesn't give you control over the SW from the HU, but it does get clean(ish) signal to the amp for the SW that isn't degraded by bullshit splitters.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back