N/A Camshaft Selection Help!

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so I figured I would post this and ask what a couple expert opinions on which cams to run for my specific application. I'm looking for a great aggressive scare-the-socks-off-the-Camaro in the next lane idle but have heard FRPP Hot Rods have crappy drivability and little power gains compared to Brenspeed Detroit Rockers or Comp NSR Stage 2's. I would sacrifice some idle for better drivability and power gains. Leaning towards Comp NSR Stage 2's. Any input would be great.

Cams I'm looking at:

Brenspeed Detroit Rockers
Comp Stage 2 NSR's
FRPP Hot Rods

Current Mods:

C&L Street CAI
BBK Twin 62mm TB
BBK Equal Length Shorties
MSD COP's
UDP's
Pypes Cut & Clamp X Pipe
SSS Axle Back
BAMA Tuned Diablosport Predator
OEM 3.55's

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ok, so I figured I would post this and ask what a couple expert opinions on which cams to run for my specific application. I'm looking for a great aggressive scare-the-socks-off-the-Camaro in the next lane idle but have heard FRPP Hot Rods have crappy drivability and little power gains compared to Brenspeed Detroit Rockers or Comp NSR Stage 2's. I would sacrifice some idle for better drivability and power gains. Leaning towards Comp NSR Stage 2's. Any input would be great.

Cams I'm looking at:

Brenspeed Detroit Rockers
Comp Stage 2 NSR's
FRPP Hot Rods

Current Mods:

C&L Street CAI
BBK Twin 62mm TB
BBK Equal Length Shorties
MSD COP's
UDP's
Pypes Cut & Clamp X Pipe
SSS Axle Back
BAMA Tuned Diablosport Predator
OEM 3.55's

Power and driveability are going to depend on the tuner. Hot Rods are capable of both.

127500 would probably be your best bet but they require springs and phaser mods.

I've seen a few stock motors with cai, tune, hot rods, and long tubes put down 33x rwhp at the shop I frequent.

I just put a set in a few weeks ago and have been able to self tune the driveability pretty well. I still have a tiny bit of rpm flare when shifting and shuffle at low speeds but I'm not done and I'm also running a procharger. They sound awesome.

I've run comp 127400 cams and really like them. They can be tuned for driveability and make decent power. The sound is like a mild cam, just enough lope that you know they aren't stock. I have a set for sale but may put them back in and sell the hot rods, not sure yet.

Given your choices I'd go with the Hot Rods. Just make sure you select a tuner and not a tooner.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
I like my BBR stage 1's, they are a NSR cam. I plan on going FI, that's why I chose them. If you want a bad ass N/A cam just do 500's with spring from the get go. They are probably the hardest pulling off the shelf cam, if you want to stay N/A go big.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
You don't say if you have manual or auto? Also a lot of these cams recomended atleast 4.10 with an auto. I have hot rods and love them. But I have a manual and 4.56 gears. I've got pretty much everything you do plus long tubes and manifold and in running low 13's at 8500 ft. I'd be deep in to the twelves if I was so high up lol. I went with the hot rod because of sound and price. Got my from AM free shipping plus forum discount made the price good.

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
run 127400 on a automatic or 127500 on a manual car PERIOD... they need valve springs i use pac 1233 spring they fit with stock retainer or the other only option i'll go is 127300 im tired of using them with stock valve springs, i have have build many cars like that. also change the gear to 4.10 at least

black06gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
i have almost the same mods as you and i have the the bbr stage 1s but i think if i could do it over i would do the bbr stage 2s.. and maybe a frpp manifold

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
Bbr stage 2 cams ftw

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

how you are going to recomend bbr stage 2 cams for a stock engine 242* intake duration you will be decreasing stock power. you have to look on the 220* range intake duration go with 127300 cams satisfaction guaranteed

Last edited:

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't I recommend a cam that has had proven results. You act like op has to have some crazy big bore stroker to run these?

Op my car made 375 rwhp with with ported heads 9-1 compression bored .020 over with stock stroke and bolt ons of course.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i hate when some one talk on cams about stages they had to be Ricers on the past life.... LOL

Since BBR sells them as stage 1 and 2 cams, how exactly, would you call them anything else? The ricer remark was just dumb.

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I felt the same but I wasent going to be a dick and derail op's thread. Not everyone can conduct themselves as adults these days.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I felt the same but I wasent going to be a dick and derail op's thread. Not everyone can conduct themselves as adults these days.

I was within a whisker of buying the BBR stage 2 cams instead of the Hotrods when I did my build. My research showed guys using them were happy with the results they got.

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
Iv used comp thumper cam
Bbr 1s
And now bbr 2s

Iv loved the 2s they are a great cam design

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
I think I am gonna grab the frpp hot rods. Like you guys have said it really boils down to the tuner. Idk if the 127500's would make enough power over the frpp to justify changing valve springs and phaser mods.That and the frpp sound sick nasty. I may look over the bbr stage 2's before I buy though. I have heard that the frpp will increase operating temp, is that true?

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Im Happy with the Detroit Rockers

Plus I just installed my Turbo and left the CAMs in.
Lito has it tuned to be very streetable

I know that these are not the best cams for HP and a turbo.

But it worked good for me not having to change the cams when I did the Turbo install, I still get a little loap.

Thats sounds like thats what you looking for.
So Detroit Rockers for Loap and driveability.
And add a Turbo later

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
Got a screaming deal on hot rods from Steve Poe! Many thanks to that guy! Cams will go in today and once I get my tune from Bama its heading to Portland for some dyno time to see if we can't squeeze some more out of it. I'll post dyno sheets in a couple weeks. One thing I have noticed is that the VSR stage one cams don't really have that much better lift or duration than a NSR comp cam, Detroit Rocker, FRPP Hot Rod, or BBR's stage one. You'd really have to stick a big stage 2 VSR cam with supporting mods and dyno time to justify the power gains and time and money involved over drop in cams on the stock valvetrain with the right tuning. This is just my observation though, I'm sure you guys would have mixed opinions

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back