Need Advice - Groaning Noise

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I could use a little bit of advice here. I've got a loud groaning noise that sounds like rubber or a bearing or maybe even the spring making noise. The noise occurs when the wheel is turned (it normally only occurs on the driver side but I have heard it on the passenger side as well). It's not 100% consistent, but it also makes the noise when I drive up the uneven parking garage at my work so the suspension is traveling when it makes the noise. It does occur when the vehicle is off so it's not the power steering and I've already replaced the following to try to cure the noise:

Wheel hubs
Ball joints (control arm to spindle)
Inner and outer tie rods
End links
Bearings in the camber plates

Computer inept, can't figure out how to inbed, so here's links to the sounds. One video with suspension loaded the other with it unloaded.

http://youtu.be/8CFWKCkbHjI

http://youtu.be/mTWYpCdKvhA

At this point the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the control arm and the strut/spring assembly. Is it possible this is my strut making the noise or is there something I'm missing?

please learn to embed video - http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3643

on shortened links the part after "/" goes between the tags

Last edited by a moderator:

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
What's your camber set at? Is there enough clearance between springs and shock towers? Mine made some pretty horrible noises when I tried to "maximize negative camber"

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Camber is as neutral as possible to avoid inner tire wear since the car is a DD with a few track days here and there.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles did you have on this setup before it started making this noise?

What kind of wearing marks did you find when you disassembled the strut for camber plate bearings?

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
There weren't really any wear marks when I removed the camber plates that would indicate the plates were slipping on the strut tower. As for the camber plate bearings, I didn't actually inspect the bearings myself, I sent them to Ground Control. They told me the bearings looked all good and replaced them for me just to be safe. I've had this set up for 2 years and maybe just over 30k miles when the noise started up.

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the spring perch at the top near the camber plate. If it started recently that's a tough diagnosis.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
How bout the bump stop or the boot, i dont see either of them turning with the strut.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Both stock I believe. I haven't investigated the bumpstops yet though.. Could they be making that noise?

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Any other suggestions or is the consesus on the bumpstops? Has anyone else experienced a noise or scenario like this?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I have the same noise with my car. Koni Str.T, BMR springs. I have replaced the strut mounts with regular GT mounts and it hides it pretty well, but I think it might still be there. I replaced the Konis under warranty and the problem persists.

I have new endlinks, new control arms as of last summer (noise was present about 5k miles after installation of Konis/springs), new strut mounts, new bump stops. I really, really think it might be the strut rods in the Konis, but the same noise still happened with another new set. I don't see anything else causing it.

R Model 07

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my driver's side: Tokico struts, J@M Camber plates, K springs, B@M lower control arm w/new ball joints, Whiteline bump steer end links.

Funny thing is it goes away when it rains only to return when it's dry.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting.. mine goes away at times too but I can't figure out what it's linked to. Sometimes it's hot or cold and it'll go away, or maybe I haven't driven it in a while and it will fix itself or driving it more often and it will go away. It's completely impossible for me to judge when it's going to happen. It does seem to be continually getting slightly more consistent and worse. When I get some time (possibly next weekend) I'll take the whole assembly apart again and try to figure it out.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Just a quick update, I had emailed Whiteline a week or two ago about getting replacements because the tie rods I had were making noise. Finally got around to replacing them this weekend, turns out the spherical bearing had rusted and was making a bunch of noise. I put the new ones in and I haven't heard any groaning/squeaking noise over the last 2 days. I'm not 100% I'm in the clear because it's been on and off but I'll check back in at the end of the week and let you know if I'm still okay.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
Checking back in as promised if anyone's still watching, it was definitely the rusted tie rod. Car has been silent ever since and I've made a point to drive it everywhere since last Sunday.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Are they still good? Mine makes the same noise and guessing it's my whiteline tie rods as well.

But mine only happens when the car is warmed up though.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
No unfortunately. The replacement set they sent me is doing it again. I've been spraying some dry lube on them here and there to minimize it until I buy another set from a different manufacturer. I figure I'll try maximum motor sports tie rods.

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
No I havent. The dry lube was just what I had on hand. Have you tried it on yours?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back