Need an Oil Seperator on the new 5.0? YEP!!

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
Just about a week ago we installed one of our JLT Oil Separators on our 5.0. We make these plug and play for 05-10 GT’s, 07-11 GT500, 99-04 Cobras and more, so we mocked one up on the 5.0 and started checking it often.
After only a few miles we had oil in the cup, but after a week and only about 30 +/- normal driving miles we have at least 1.5+ tablespoons of oil that we kept out of the intake manifold.
We are in the testing stages of the product and just added one to the driver side today and will keep an eye on that as well. You will get most from the side with the PCV valve, which is the passenger side on the 5.0, but you will also get a small amount from the other as well.

Oil in the PCV system is normal, but you want to do everything you can to keep it out. It will gum up your intake runners, throttle body blades, valves and even dilute your fuel.

I was very surprised at the amount of oil I found, but our separator will take care of it. We have more testing to do and then get parts ordered. We use OEM Ford PCV lines and they come pre cut with the JLT separator installed for a 15 second plug and play install.

Keep an eye out for this new product from JLT. For more info on this products go here

Passenger side:
60970_429040902154_52080517154_5621094_6287425_n.jpg

62002_429040912154_52080517154_5621095_4945547_n.jpg

Driver side:
58300_429040937154_52080517154_5621097_7260911_n.jpg

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
All the same, with factory hose installed $119

L.Sanchez

forum member
Reaction score
Wow...thats surprising. That is alot of oil. How does something like that get by Ford during all their testing?? Why don't they install their own catch can??

Either way, for $120 it seems like a good investment.

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, 30 miles and 2 tablespoons is 333 tablespoons of oil in 5000 miles which is over 5 quarts of oil. How many miles are on your car Jay and have you checked the oil lately?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have one on my car and the can I can tell you it is not a tiny can, the hoses are Ford OEM so they are plug and play...if you can find something cheaper go for it but I guarantee you it will not be as nice as the JLT.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Roughly $55 for a Jegs separator and some hose+hose clamps...definitely not as pretty but works just as well. Even $50 is too much for this BS, IMO.

Why not just run a breather?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it's BS then why continue to post in here about it? There are plenty of satisfied customers that have them.

Breathers get oil all over the VC's, the hood, etc...maybe that's how you like to keep your car but the rest of us don't.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
If it's BS then why continue to post in here about it? There are plenty of satisfied customers that have them.

Breathers get oil all over the VC's, the hood, etc...maybe that's how you like to keep your car but the rest of us don't.

Because I'm bored. It's your money...enjoy! :dunce:

Freshmeat

forum member
Reaction score
This may sound dumb, but is the oil in the can contaminated by any means or can it be poured back into the crankcase?

ArizonaGT- Jegs has a single separator for $46. If JLT's $119 covers both driver and passenger side, that's a reasonable price. Especially when I can place an order and know it's all going to fit right into place with no guesswork required. Time is valuable and for me, ease of installation is worth a few extra bucks.

Now if it's $119 per side... I may try to figure out how to get the Jeg's units to work.

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This may sound dumb, but is the oil in the can contaminated by any means or can it be poured back into the crankcase?

ArizonaGT- Jegs has a single separator for $46. If JLT's $119 covers both driver and passenger side, that's a reasonable price. Especially when I can place an order and know it's all going to fit right into place with no guesswork required. Time is valuable and for me, ease of installation is worth a few extra bucks.

Now if it's $119 per side... I may try to figure out how to get the Jeg's units to work.

its 119 per side.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just about a week ago we installed one of our JLT Oil Separators on our 5.0. We make these plug and play for 05-10 GT’s, 07-11 GT500, 99-04 Cobras and more, so we mocked one up on the 5.0 and started checking it often.
After only a few miles we had oil in the cup, but after a week and only about 30 +/- normal driving miles we have at least 1.5+ tablespoons of oil that we kept out of the intake manifold.
We are in the testing stages of the product and just added one to the driver side today and will keep an eye on that as well. You will get most from the side with the PCV valve, which is the passenger side on the 5.0, but you will also get a small amount from the other as well.

Oil in the PCV system is normal, but you want to do everything you can to keep it out. It will gum up your intake runners, throttle body blades, valves and even dilute your fuel.

I was very surprised at the amount of oil I found, but our separator will take care of it. We have more testing to do and then get parts ordered. We use OEM Ford PCV lines and they come pre cut with the JLT separator installed for a 15 second plug and play install.

Keep an eye out for this new product from JLT. For more info on this products go here

Passenger side:
60970_429040902154_52080517154_5621094_6287425_n.jpg

62002_429040912154_52080517154_5621095_4945547_n.jpg

Driver side:
58300_429040937154_52080517154_5621097_7260911_n.jpg

Great job Jay! I'll have Derek send over a PO for a few tomorrow.

Also,
For those bitching about the price WTF is your problem? If you don't like the price or the product then don't post at all. Have some respect for the people that actually pay to keep this site up and running.

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, come on guys
this seems to happen everytime we expand our Oil Separator line up, but then we sell out every month.
They are milled from billet aluminum, include factory Ford hoses that retail over $40 each (call your dealer) include a factory ford PCV metal mesh filter and you don't have to run lines, make a mounting bracket, empty it more often due to a smaller unit and then it look like a jerry rig set up.

This looks clean, is easy to install and just plain works.
It's not for everyone, but for those who understand cost of materials and want quality parts on their car it is perfect.

$119 is per side and we don't even know if the driver side will need it yet, were testing.
We came out with this a few months back starting with the GT500- sold 100 units in 2 weeks, then the 05-10 GT-sold the 2nd 100 unit batch in another 2 weeks, then the 99-04 Cobras and same thing. It's getting rave reviews from customers.

It works, looks great and is easy to install.
If you want an oil smell, get a breather. If you think they don't smell, try it. Think about the oil seen above and pour that into a breather filter and put it on your valve cover.
ArizonaGT, you of all people should know, put a breather on your car and hit the road course. Wow, I just did that a few weeks back at VIR. It filled up and poured oil every session. I lost 2 qt's of oil in one day and removed it.
Street driving is much less of course, but the more you drive and beat on the car it will drip and smell.

If it's not for you, please respect the thread and move along, but I think after you see one in person your thoughts will change.

Thanks
Jay

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back