Need assistance with wheel offsets...

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I have been searching and have found many people in the slammed threads discussing their various wheels and backspaces but didn't really see what I was looking for directly from the front or rear. I am currently running the track pack wheels with factory Brembo's. Current size is 19x9 and I am running 285/35/19 Conti DW's on all four corners. The fronts currently have 5mm spacers on them so they are obviously closer to the fender than stock...

I am looking at moving to a 19x10 and need assistance in figuring out what would be the proper backspace. I am obviously not going for the stretched look with a huge rim and small tires and I don't want the wheel/tire to stick out of the wheel well at all. Car was dropped 1" up front and 1.5" in the back so not slammed by any means. Below are pictures of the car as it currently sits and a photoshop of what I am looking forward next to it to the right. basically I would like the tire about 3/8"-1/2" in the rear and about a 1/2" in the front but can offset a smaller amount with the spacers. Messing with online calculators it appears a +30 to +35mm would work up front just about perfectly but don't know about the rear...

May have been covered elsewhere but I was not able to find it so any help is appreciated!

pbqSuD.jpg

0Eyz6N.jpg

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
For a 10" wheel to fit the front and the rear with the same offset, without hitting the front strut, and without poking in the rear, it needs to be in the 43-45 range. Less offset will work but that 43-45 is the sweet spot IMO. Obviously depends on exact wheel design, and the higher offset you go, the more you push the front fitment with regards to strut clearance, but it makes the track width narrower and makes the rear look better.

Run a 285/35/19 on all four wheels for 19x10's

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
my 10" +48's fit fine, but they're very tight to the strut. The common +40 offset for 10" wide wheels works as well.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking at this myself and have conflicting info from wheel vendors on what will fit. In looking at Forgestar CF5 and F14 wheels in 18/19/20x10 with deep concave, one vendor says nothing over +38mm offset will work with Brembo brakes while another says they will fit with Brembo's, just don't go past +45mm or you'll have strut interference issues. Most sites list the Forgestar 18/19/20x10 ET42 as "rear only". Don't want to lay funds on the line to find out wheels don't fit.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Yeah, I just ordered some MMD Zeven's (Silver's are on clearance at American Muscle...) 19x10 +45mm. According to the Q&A at the bottom of the page a small spacer is needed and AM recommends an 8mm one. I already have 5mm ones on the front to bring them closer to the fender so hoping that will cover what is needed. Will report back when I get them on the car.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Just depends on your particular car. I have maybe 2-3mm betwen the inside of the rim and the strut. I have considered a 5mm spacer, but haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing a set yet. 5-8mm is about as far as I'd ever go on the stock wheel studs.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking at this myself and have conflicting info from wheel vendors on what will fit. In looking at Forgestar CF5 and F14 wheels in 18/19/20x10 with deep concave, one vendor says nothing over +38mm offset will work with Brembo brakes while another says they will fit with Brembo's, just don't go past +45mm or you'll have strut interference issues. Most sites list the Forgestar 18/19/20x10 ET42 as "rear only". Don't want to lay funds on the line to find out wheels don't fit.

Those forgestar.... "rear only" will fit the front just fine. Sky render and a few others have already done it..and they had the 14" brembo, 4 piston brakes. No spacer was used. I believe Roush used 10" wide rims on all 4 corners..all with ET45..and 275-40-18's on all 4 corners. Roush also offered 10" wide x 20" rims....same deal. No spacer used. I cant see ET42 being an issue on the front.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
I ran Forgestar CF5s 19x10 ET41 at all 4 corners with 285/35/19 RE-11s with no issues or spacers on my Boss. And it is lowered on KW coilovers. I trimmed the front upper swaybar bolts but it probably wasn't necessary.

Call Paul at Howey Industries for fitment help. Good luck!

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I know people are running the 19x10 +45's... my concern is with the Brembo clearance and how big of a spacer will be needed. wheels arrive on Friday so will have an update next weekend.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
You should be just fine. The Ford Racing Boss 302S 19x10s are ET47 and they cleared my Brembos no problem. Unless the Zevens have a weird concavity or something that isn't apparent in the pictures.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
they should be Hub centric, i thought all the wheels from AM were hub. but I may be wrong.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Photoshopped some pics of what they will look like... should hopefully get them installed tomorrow or Wednesday.

oeRoSI.jpg

Put the wheel on and looked at it every way I could think of and I think I will be okay. IF it rubs the caliper it will be on the front inside edge of the caliper:

RYLUdV.jpg

The back of the wheel is pretty close to the strut but I think it will work. Hoping to have it work with no spacers or if I have to have them, I want to only use a 1/8" or smaller... not sure if that is feasible but my goal.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Just fyi...you don't need a ton of space between the wheel and strut. Pretty much all of the tire sidewall deformation that happens when cornering is at the road surface, not the top of the wheel. I use to run my mustang on track with a few millimeters of clearance with the strut.

BUT- make sure you aren't rubbing on the swaybar endlink stud. That could be disastrous. Easy fix- yank the endlink and bandsaw one of the studs a little shorter.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Based on the pics I think I am good... I will certainly verify, thanks for the heads up. In the second pic it doesn't look like the bolt is long enough to go past the strut so hopeful I won't have to do any grinding.

A5zyYR.jpg

IGpLWb.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Everything fit and the offsets were perfect!!!!

The wheels are a gnat's ball hair away from the caliper (see last pic) but I don't hear or see any rubbing. have about an 1/8" between the wheel and strut and about the same (maybe a touch less) between the tire and strut. The car seems to drive nicer... I know I am probably dreaming that but it just seems less harsh and doesn't seem to wander as much. Maybe it is losing the crappy spacers on the front, maybe it is the lower wheel weight, or maybe it is the proper wheel width for the tires... I don't know but it feels good!

Only downside is the factory center caps won't fit so I am stuck with the MMD ones until I find or create something to replace them... may just grind down the "MMD" and buy a sticker or something.

Special thanks to "csamsh" for directing me to the 43-45mm offset and "ChrisGT" for changing my mind about silver wheels. Wanted black until I saw his car...

zYsWRt.jpg

36iHCS.jpg

XYZ63z.jpg

Wheel/Tire to Strut clearance...

nMdo7R.jpg

Wheel/Caliper spacing...

bYcAgW.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back