Need Belt Help

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Looking for a new belt, tried searching the part number and Google comes up empty. Dayco belt, has two numbers on it: 1247K6 and 20-9770. Don’t necessarily need to get another Dayco, but need to know the length of the belt. I’d just cut it and measure if I had a spare. Looking at the Dayco website, it looks like they may have changed their part number system (?)

Car has a supercharger, belt is longer than factory. One of those things I should have written down somewhere, but I didn’t

Last edited:

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the first number you listed tells you have a 1247mm 6 groove serpentine belt.
That’s what I thought too, but I can tell right away that this thing is longer than 1247mm, only 49”.

I’m wondering if the Gates K061247 is the same (length), and if so, do they make a greenback version

Kenne Bell won’t answer their phone and I’ve started a ticket, we’ll see how long it takes to get a reply

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have always used Goodyear belts and their numbering system is super easy.

2005 Mustang GT 4.6L V8 stock belt is 1061015.

6 rib and 101.5 (102 inches) in length.

So if you needed a shorter belt… for example 1060985 that would be the same belt but 98.5 inches.

I hope this helps.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I have always used Goodyear belts and their numbering system is super easy.

2005 Mustang GT 4.6L V8 stock belt is 1061015.

6 rib and 101.5 (102 inches) in length.

So if you needed a shorter belt… for example 1060985 that would be the same belt but 98.5 inches.

I hope this helps.

I should have mentioned in the initial post, the car has a Kenne Bell supercharger, so the belt is considerably longer than factory. Thank you, though

JC SSP

Reaction score
Ok no issues.

Consider taking a piece of string and route around the pulleys and take into consideration the tensioner movement.

Then measure the string and look up a 6 ribbed belt that matches.

FYI 1062475 would be 247.5 inches

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Took the part number to Oreillys and had them cross reference it. It’s 125-1/4”, and the only option they sell is the standard Gates belt, same 1247 part number (thanks for nothing Google). No HD green belt though.

You’d think Dayco would have a cross reference sheet on their page after changing the numbering system. Easy decision though, it’s the Gates or the Gates

the07boss

Reaction score
Well I have good news, and bad news.

Good news: I can tell you exactly the specs of the belt. It should be 124.7” long, this is the 1247 in the part number, K6 being 6 ribs. I still have the I install manual for my Whipple and it’s listed in the parts as well as in the pulley options matrix.

Bad news: I am also having issues finding one. I was doing some deep detailing in my engine bay and noticed it has cracks so I wanted to stay ahead of any issues. If I find a place that carries them I will report back!

the07boss

Reaction score

Good news: I can tell you exactly the specs of the belt. It should be 124.7” long, this is the 1247 in the part number, K6 being 6 ribs. I still have the I install manual for my Whipple and it’s listed in the parts as well as in the pulley options matrix.

Bad news: I am also having issues finding one. I was doing some deep detailing in my engine bay and noticed it has cracks so I wanted to stay ahead of any issues. If I find a place that carries them I will report back!

After a little more digging I did find a the same Gates number listed on Whipple’s site as the belt for 05-10 SC’s. I had already talked to my local O’Reillys and Napa and neither seemed able to order it, though I did find it on O’Reillys site. Amazon also carries it for just $35 after tax so I picked one up. I also looked for the green back and the RPM series and they didn’t seem to make it in this size.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You can alter your belt length requirement by a couple inches ether way by changing some or all of the idler pulleys. Mix and match different diameter idlers to let you run a more available or desirable belt.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score

The Gates greenback 1223 is listed on Oreillys as the belt specifically for S197 4.6 “with Kenne Bell supercharger”. But after hassling a bit to even get the 124” belt on, I’m gonna do what @Midlife Crises said and play with idler pullies. Department of Boost has some pulley part numbers on their site, don’t recall exactly where, but it’s in one of the tech sections

rocknrod

Reaction score
Playing with the idler pulley is about what I will have to do also. I can't find the Dayco 1247K6 either. Just these:
CONTINENTAL 4061250 - 125.00"
Dayco 5061251 - 125 3/32"
However I did conduct a "contact us" inquiry at the Dayco USA website, we shall see if that provides any info or not.
So has there been any follow up success by anyone else on this over six month old thread?
Here's one that might work - K061247 -Effective length 124.76 - 6 ribs
What do you think?
Well I ordered the gates belt I pick it up tomorrow, so we will see and I will post the results here.

Last edited:

rocknrod

Reaction score
The answer I got from Dayco was:
"The only option I can find is a 7-rib belt. 5071248.. This belt can work perfectly fine. You will need to use a brand new and sharp razor to remove the outside (1rib) rib to make this a 6 rib belt."
I questioned his veracity and said I'm buying a Gates belt and he came back with:
"Actually no. You can purchase a 7 rib belt and cut one rib off. It is possible that gates picked up this belt and if they did great. That would be the easier option than cutting a rib off. Jerry"

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
125 inch belt 6 rib

same belt for a 06-10 F350 superduty

Continental 4061250 is an alternate number.

rocknrod

Reaction score
Good info JEWC, Thanks.
I installed the Gates K061247 and it works.
Now I see why they say to loosen the sliding pulley and open the tensioner pulley etc etc etc. In the Whipple instructions.
Got er done.
Just have to do a recheck as addressed in the Whipple installation manual.

Last edited:

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Just saw that this thread was reopened @rocknrod
I ended up going with a Gates K01223HD green back. Its a shorter belt (obviously), but I also dropped down to a 3" blower pulley and have an alternate mounting location on one of my idlers, nice of Kenne Bell to include that on the bracket. Im not sure how short you can go with your setup, but changing pulleys helps tremendously

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back