Need help p0345

bunkered13

forum member
Reaction score
Car is an 08 turbo 5speed. The car will run nicely until it gets to operating temp. Then all of a sudden after the car is warmed up, when you come to a stop the car starts shaking horibbly.

If you give it a little throttle it will clear up but does it all over again when you stop.

I have changed the vct solenoid, cam phaser, and cam positioning sensor but nothing has fixed it yet.

The code I get at first when this happens is p0345 followed by a p0022.

Can somebody please help me figure this thing out?!

angrymike

Reaction score
Mine did the same, but it through the 0340 code, I put on an alternator which cleared up the code, but it still had an rough idle, I put in a set of new plugs which finally stopped the idle problem, look up my "Off idle studder" post to see what I went through to find what my problem was ....... good luck, hope it helps.......

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Who tuned it? Have you tried data logging with the tuner to see if it's an issue with the tune?

bunkered13

forum member
Reaction score
Timing shows to be good. Would I get a code right away if it wasn't correct?

Alternator tests good.

Lito tuned the car.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The code I get at first when this happens is p0345 followed by a p0022.

A P0022 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

Incorrect camshaft timing
Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

Possible Solutions

The main thing to check is to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCT solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit.

A code P0345 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
the camshaft position sensor may have failed
the PCM may have failed
there exists an open circuit
the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With a P0345 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Hope that helps you troubleshoot the problem.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
We recently had something like this here at the Dealership. Turned out to be a bad cylinder head. The cam journal for cylinder #6 was worn and once warmed up the oil pressure would drop and the vct would drop out. We saw this while test driving with the IDS computer hooked up.

Remember the Mod Motor Cylinder heads do not have cam bearings. The journal/tower is more critical than ever.

bunkered13

forum member
Reaction score
One think that I noticed is if you unplug the vct solenoid on the driver side, the car runs fine and doesn't hesitate or start jumping around at all.

The only code I get after that is a p0020 which is to be expected since it's unplugged.

I also checked oil pressure and that is all good.

When the car was up to operating temp, I plugged the vct solenoid connector back in and you could hear something *click* like the phaser finally made an adjustment.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
did you lock out the VCT or running different cams?
Between 1000 and 300 the VCT retards timing
Also a bad alternator can mess with both vct and cam sensors

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Stock cams and no lockouts.

I can take the alternator off and have it retested.

No good. You need to see what the voltage is doing when running, not a bench test.
These alternators can bench-test fine, start/run in the 13-14 volt range, and drop under 13 into the mid-to-low 12 v range once warmed up, and cause the P03xx codes.

I've watched it happen on my car, while watching voltage displayed on a gauge, and seeing the CEL come on as voltage got lower and lower. Car was still idling and running fine.
If your voltage is steady and it throws a code, then absolutely you have an issue on that side.

Also of course, check the wiring and connector around/to the sensor and in the harness itself.
:insane:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
What worries me a little is the 22 code, I don't think the alternator would do this (also the alternator usually comes with the 340 first, being the 1st bank).

My experience, 345/22 timing issue, bad phaser, hope not.

bunkered13

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so if this is a bad phaser. Do I need to get a Ford replacement or will one from Orileys work. I just don't want to take any chances. I've been without this car for too long.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure is that but normally this ends being a cam timing issue (if all the wiring to the sensor checks out, the sensor itself, weird it gets bad).

I would check before getting any part.

bunkered13

forum member
Reaction score
Check the cam pos sensor?

Also, when you loosen the bolt on the cam phaser, should it "pop" back into a position or just come right off?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so if this is a bad phaser. Do I need to get a Ford replacement or will one from Orileys work. I just don't want to take any chances. I've been without this car for too long.

I would NOT get one from Oreillys. Get an OEM Ford phaser if you do end up needing one.

itsmetj87

Reaction score
I just had the p0022 on my car ended up being the gasket on the back of the tensioner blew out and the oil press was not reaching the solenoid because it was blowing out behind the tensioner. There are oil plugs on the heads that you can check pressure to each heads. Mine was under warranty and I work at the place so I did both sides phasers and tensioners

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back