Need help with building stairs for a new deck

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I just finished building a new 16x16 deck and am now in the process of installing the railings along with designing/building the steps. Instead of keeping things simple, my wife wants steps that wrap around one of the outside corners, which makes this rather simple process a bit more challenging. At least I talked her out of cascading steps, which would have been a real PITA to design.

Here's what I found thus far, but could use some additional input and or an actual drawing if someone has knowledge/experience with this process...

"The corner stringers run at a 45 degree angle to the corner and will require 2 per corner since it is a 90 degree corner. The rise on these stringers are the same as the other stringers, but the tread length is 1.414 inches greater. When you cut the stringers, cut the risers at a 45 degree bevel from the lines you draw, and alternate bevel direction to make an inside and outside corner."

This sort of makes sense and the picture I found below shows the riser bevel bevel cuts. But I had planned to just buy pre-cut stringers (which I can still do for the 2 straight sides of the stairs), but with needing that additional 1.414 greater depth on the treads, that will require a really wide piece of material for the stringer since the standard tread depth is 11 inches (thus I would need 15.84 inch treads)... assuming I am interpretting this correctly? If so, this will require a very wide piece of wood considering a standard stringer with a 11 inch tread is cut from a 2x12.

deck_apron_stringer_detail.jpg

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, but already found that article and it really does not add any more info. I will get this figured out and may just talk with folks at the lumber yard to see if they can help answer some questions.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I decided to keep it simple and just come off one side. Now I just need to finish enclosing the lower exposed area and this almost 2 month project will be done just in time for Memorial Day. The biggest time consumer was the railing as it came unassembled and required a ton of measuring and cutting.

Deck_03.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back