Need help

blackstang07

Reaction score
So....I think its time for a new short block, on Saturday I was driving and started noticing white smoking coming from the rear of my car.
Long story short I had my mechanic look at it and found that the bottom of the motor was cracked (Short block?) and when I start it there's a very bad knocking, metallic sound.
I do have a Hellion turbo setup on my 07 GT but I'm only pushing 410-415hp and have only had it for about 5k miles. I always thought that that our stock bottom end were capable of 450hp and only started seeing problem after you passed that for extended amount of time. My car was tuned by Spank Time performance in San Bernardino, so its not like it was done at some random shop. What could have happened?
I don't really have the money so I'm thinking about taking the turbo kit out and selling it so I can fix my car.
Does anyone know where I can get a stock short block with rotating assembly already built in?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what could have happened?

bad gas

detonation

wastegate failure

any of which could have caused a failure, to me it sounds like a rod let go and put a whole in the engine block.

As to where a short block can be had - look in the classifieds, several are for sale, BruceH has a nice set up for cheap.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
what could have happened?

bad gas

detonation

wastegate failure

any of which could have caused a failure, to me it sounds like a rod let go and put a whole in the engine block.

As to where a short block can be had - look in the classifieds, several are for sale, BruceH has a nice set up for cheap.
I think the one BruceH has is 11:1 compression, OP has a turbo kit

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

But he also looking to sell his turbo kit to fund the motor. So that might not be a bad idea. Plus it seems like everyone these day's are building higher compression FI motors.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
But he also looking to sell his turbo kit to fund the motor. So that might not be a bad idea. Plus it seems like everyone these day's are building higher compression FI motors.

Good point, I completely missed him needing to fund the repairs.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

yea, so does every turbo stock block coyote, with proper fuel and tuning I don't see it a issue.

blackstang07

Reaction score
How much would you guys think replacing the block cost? Labor wise. Im also thinking about just buying a short block from mmr, what do you guys think?
By crack, I meant that I looked under the car passanger side and the block had about a 3in crack and was leaking oil.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
cost will depend on where you are, I would say 1200-1500

and FUCK MMR

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Not that it would be my preferred method but I do know a guy that was in a pinch a while back and used a complete longblock 4.6 3v out of a expedition. Steel block and heavier but they did get it to work with a few mods to the engine mounts. Tuned fine, drove fine.... and cheap. Think he bought the longblock (heads and everything but accesories) for $1200

Knock sensors etc.. cams all from the expedition

Normally you can find a shortblock for around $700-800 shipped tho but if you cant swap heads and valvetrain yourself labor will add up fast. That and assuming your heads and valvetrain is not damaged.

rod failure=cracked block. If you lost a piston you likely damaged a head or both

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
if you can find a short block at a good price ($400 or so), and a machine shop you can trust, you can put built block with your stock 6 bolt crank together for 800-1200 if you shop around for deals on the various mustang forums.

And like stkjock said, don't use MMR.

blackstang07

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and yes it is my DD unfortunately. Have a rental at the moment. What company would you guys recommend for a block with forged internals? @gallopingford, if I can't find anything in the next few weeks ill hit you up, thanks.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and yes it is my DD unfortunately. Have a rental at the moment. What company would you guys recommend for a block with forged internals? @gallopingford, if I can't find anything in the next few weeks ill hit you up, thanks.

There is a guy on the Bullitt forum (IMBOC) selling a new FRPP short block for $3,300.

hazzardoustoysjr

forum member
Reaction score
I can't make a for sale thread on the forum yet because I am new but as of not this weekend but the next I will have a stock shortblock with 66k on it I will sell for 650 plus shipping. Pm me if interested.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back