Need new brake pads, Hawk HPS vs StopTech?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I get very little to minimal dust from my rears...using the same Hawk HPS pads. Hawk does make a new pad....called a HPS 5.0 that's an improvement over their regular HPS pads. The new 5.0 version is minimal dust, zero noise, and better initial bite.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I had HPS, even on the Brembo system. You would be better off with Stoptech or something else. After you start getting faster, you will find the HPS is a weak pad.

The HPS 5.0, temperature wise, is no different from the HPS. If anything, they just changed a few materials. The graph below is their compound graph, and vs. the old one, they literally just slapped 5.0 on the end of the HPS line.

Compound-Graph.jpg

The other thing I found out during research, is people reported the brake dust from Hawks to be corrosive to some wheel finishes (Google "Hawk Pads Corrosive," it'll talk about your "reddish dust"). If you are someone that doesn't wash the wheels that often, that isn't a good thing. Most other companies don't have this issue. One of my wheels, however, has had some paint chip off ever since I used the Hawk's. I'm on Carbotech's now.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
FYI, from one of the Hawk reps:

"5.0 is our latest offering. It is an improvement on HPS, in that it adds more break torque, initial bite, and lower dust.
We plan on phasing out the original HPS over the next 12 months."

## Note, the plane jane HPS pads are not on the above chart. The relatively new Hawk Performance Street / Race pads, depending on the application may be another option, with it's 100-1200 F rating.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
As stated above, all they did was tag "5.0" where HPS used to be (same with DTC-30 and the "street race"):

(Old graph)
80-186751d1339888542_brake_pads_master_list_hawks_04988984eca3c6369a66fab14f8bb9b9ecafd753.jpg

I'm sure the rep will say "better initial bite," but real world users have reported a mix vs. other pads they have used before. However, in most cases, when comparing a HPS vs. the HPS 5.0, most drivers experienced less initial bite (with less dust, go figure).

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Points well taken. I just read that the 'street-race pad' per hawk, is a tweaked up version of the DTC-30.

"We have developed our High Performance Street Race Pads by modifying our DTC motorsports pad technology. To mitigate noise, our High Performance Street Race Pads are chamfered, slotted, and include shims. From my experience, our High Performance Street Race Pads are dusty and noisy because they are a motorsport pad that has been tweaked to be driven on the street. The advantages of High Performance Street Race Pads over HP Plus are that they offer more brake torque and a higher temperature rating for greater fade resistance. The temperature rating of HP Plus is 100-800 degrees F and HPS Street/Race is 100-1200 degrees F".

http://www.autotrackdaymonthly.com/...hnology/763-hawk-performance-street-race-pads

## When my HPS pads need to be replaced, I'll try the HPS 5.0 version and see if there is any difference.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As stated above, all they did was tag "5.0" where HPS used to be (same with DTC-30 and the "street race"):

(Old graph)
80-186751d1339888542_brake_pads_master_list_hawks_04988984eca3c6369a66fab14f8bb9b9ecafd753.jpg

I'm sure the rep will say "better initial bite," but real world users have reported a mix vs. other pads they have used before. However, in most cases, when comparing a HPS vs. the HPS 5.0, most drivers experienced less initial bite (with less dust, go figure).

The 5.0 is a different compound than the original HPS. I autocross, and I have experienced zero brake fade, zero noise, and zero brake dust under all conditions. (I've even done some road course stuff on those pads.) Also note that you will be seeing nowhere near those upper temperature ranges unless you're actually road racing the car.

The HPS 5.0 is a perfect street pad. It works fine in cold temperatures, has zero dust, and makes no noise. It also has the best pedal feel and "initial bite" of any pad that I've used.

Here's a full review:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...wk-Performance-and-Disc-Brakes-Australia.aspx

EDIT:
Now, all that being said, the LAST thing you want is a more aggressive pad on the rear. You should replace like for like.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back