Need Some Advice/ Help please

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
Got a little issue haven't posted about it,6 weeks ago after waiting 5-6 months for my built 3V 5.0 stroker motor from Engine Builder. The motor locked up and wouldn't turn quick enough to create spark.
Back story i put 400 break in miles on the car before having it tuned NO issues at all besides a bad Alternator come home from Bradenton. So i take the car to TUNER (nameless for now ) for a E85 tune only. ( E85 was fresh from PUMP). He does a 10-12min seat the rings on the DYNO pulls, no more smoke. 5-6 pulls tuned the car at 702/771 @ 14.2 PSI and 19degrees of timing, with fuel duty @ 72%. So we leave it at that because i am happy.

Next day i load the wife up leave the house in a blaze of white smoke and SMILE. 6 miles up the road i play with a 600cc bike do a 3-4 gear pull runs like a champ A/F are reading perfect. Get up to the traffic light 1 mile up the road then all of a sudden motor revs to 2k and shuts off. REMEMBER 8 miles on the newly tuned motor

Tow the car home figure out i have ZERO spark, I pay to have a FORD tech come to my house he says Motor isn't spinning quick enough to create spark.

Now for the ISSUE Engine Builder calls after having the motor for 2 weeks say i pushed out every ROD and Main bearing, there blaming it on the tuner saying Detonation caused all of this, and i cracked/lifted a head gasket also they say.

My issues, i should of hear the motor say fuck U, should of lost OIl pressure? NO chunks of metal in filter or oil or pan. Compression test read good on all 8 holes. Old oil has no coolant in it. Old plugs look good

WHAT do u guys think am i getting lied to? Because i feel like the tune was spot on and Engine Builder fucked up with some bearing clearance issues.
1351613630.jpg

1351613538.jpg

1351613439.jpg

1348931249.jpg

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
14.2 psi and 19 degrees on E85 shouldn't cause any detonation. Like Jeremy said the plugs look fine. If you had enough detonation to cause that much damage the plugs would be burnt up.

Earl

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
AGREE i've had detonation before on my stock motor with NOS and the plugs looked like COOKIE monster ate them.

I'm thinking someone fucked up on the clearance issues and now they don't wanna stand behind there warrty. Is there anyway to confirm clearance after the fact?

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I don't see how you could have driven 400 miles, if the clearance was mess up. It should have sezed at least 1 rod bearing.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
By pushed out do you mean they were hammered so hard material was pushed out the sides of the rods? If all the bearings went then fastener torque would be suspect to me. As in everything was snugged down but final torque was forgotten.

Do you have any pics of the piston tops?

Turbostangs90

forum member
Reaction score
Without seeing what the the 'engine builder' is looking at, no accurate assumption can be made. I would have torn the engine down myself before bringing it back to the builder. It pretty much sounds like the builder is blaming the tuner and your up shit creek.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think this is going to end up being the old tuner blames the builder, builder blames the tuner and you get left holding the bag routine.

Earl

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
Engine builder ( very well known mod builder )
Was said if Someone opens up the motor the warrty will be voided

So Friday I'm gonna make a surprise visit to the other coast and inspect the motor myself, also bring a Ford Master Tech to confirm issues.

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
ModMax who built the motor is telling me I had engine detenation which resulted in pushing out the bearings.

There repair is $2,300 and this is what needs to be done.
New main&rod bearings, polish the crank, hone the block then install new Piston rings!!!!
Also new head Gaskets
But the Pistons are OK is what I'm being told.

Thinking a surprise visit on Wed is a must to confirm issues

Last edited:

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
It's gonna be smells claim court Case I c happening

I just want a running car with this bad as weather

SiriusB0neR

forum member
Reaction score
Quick update
Replacing main and rod bearings with new King Bearings
Polishing crank
Quick hone to clean up the block
New stainless steel rings
New MLS head gaskets
Remove and confirm the TsS oil pump is damaged free/ and no flakes in it
Total repair Bill $2,200
I asked for some things to be changed
Ditching the S&I valves going with Manley .5mm over sized intake & exhaust
Comp Cam lockouts
And turning it into a long block so I can pick up next Saturday morning
New total $2,692

U guys are more then welcome to send me some money for the repairs, I'll throw your name / business on the car for a year. The wife and I are taking the car repair funds out of the Xmas saving accounts . So I'll have some guns, slick and NOS bottles up for sale soon. I'll make sure she doesn't go without for Xmas

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back