Need some help PLZ!

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
OK....I got a super good friend of mine back in my home town who bought his daughter a 2007 V6 Mustang about 6 months ago. It's a Automatic and has been a good car. It's her first car. He is a Diesel Tech and is mechanically inclined but has a issue he needs help on or hopes somebody knows maybe more.

When the AC compressor kicks on (Like defroster) he is picking up some NVH. He feels it in the cabin/driveline type feel. Mostly noticeable in Park. Does it in neutral and in drive too though to make this clear. Also The car is stock. With car running and hood open he says all looks well.

Any idea what this could be? All the obvious checks and things to look for appear normal. Only thing done to car as of late is Harmonic Balancer. New serp. belt.
Said he used a aftermarket harmonic balancer?? Any chance that could be suspect?? Hmm... not sure. Bearings on pulleys feel normal. I told him if he had his dig. temp gun to check temp. on all the rotational pulleys?? Asked if that belt could maybe be tad small or anything ........... he feels not

Any ideas I and he would be thankful for.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
Trying to help a brotha

Now I am thinking after making a post in the V6 tech, that I should have posted here maybe. Mods can move it or delete this. Whatever is cool.

I posted about a 07 V6 in the V6 tech section , but I see like 3 threads for the whole section...LOL!! If anybody knows or has exp. with V6 or just good mechanical skills please look at the thread and a reply if you know something. I am fairly inclined and he is a diesel tech but he is stumped on the problem for now. He's over 2 hours away so I can't look. All I can think is maybe the thing is going bad. Anyway, if anybody happens to look and has feedback thanks in advance.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
How many miles are on it? If you softly power brake it in gear with the hood up can you see the motor moving excessively? SOFTLY!

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
That's one of the things we talked about.....The Motor mounts he has for sure checked. we talked tranny mounts but he hasn't done that. I assume he will but he feels not. It's a shot in the dark w/o me being there. He will figure it out I guess.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
This is really hard to diagnose by description only.
And, the compressor will cause a little NVH, but how much. It could also be a noisy/rough-running compressor.
Another possible cause is that the aftermarket balancer does not properly line up with the rest of the driveline, and is causing the a/c pulley to run with a little bit of side-loading, and with the load of the compressor when it is engaged, causing the nvh.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Mine had NV from day one from the air conditioning compressor -2008 V6 $5,000.00 Premium V6 Mustang purchased at 65,000 miles for wife as a DD & training tool. Very common from what I later found out. Poor design feature as far as I’m concerned. I’m sure other 4.0 V6 owners could chime in. I couldn’t / didn’t fix the problem figuring the V6 would be swapped in the future.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
My wife and I have a 2008 breast cancer awareness mustang (warriors in pink) From day one slight vibration from Variance of engine rpm and load can be felt and heard all through the car. (Parking lot idling turning the steering wheel, ac compressor, idling in gear) Chances are it's normal if it's not too excessive. Like I said earlier, 2008 v6 auto 12300 on the clock now. We have owned the car since day one August of. 2007

Last edited:

Bad06stang

forum member
Reaction score
I had a 06 4.0 and that was a harsh motor. I tried everything to make it run smoother and nothing worked, I complained about it all the time. A/C on was the worst, sometimes when the voltage ran low the rpms would randomly drop for a sec then come back to normal. I think thats how those engines are man. Mine had a full tune up done, fuel filter changed every 15K miles the works and nothing helped.

SYNY5TER

Reaction score
when i had my v6 back in the days my car would nvh when i turn the ac on. even though with 30k miles. and i had a manual. i think its a manual thing but with auto i dont think thats suppose to happen. definitely change the motor mounts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back