Need some help with 60' times

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys last weekend I took my car to the track. My best time was a 13.45. Before my best time was 14.1. What I have relocation brackets, lower control arms, and drag raidals. My 60' times suck. Before all the suspension and tires I was getting 2.5 for 60' and now with mods im still only getting 1.9. I know I can do better but I dont know what I need to do. For my fastest run I dropped the clutch at 5000 rpms. my burnout was about 1-2 seconds. The tires didnt seem to be slipping and there was absolutly no wheel hop. What am I doing wrong? I know if I had better 60' I could get closer to 13's.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what tire?

what pressure?

the "1-2 second burnout" how much MPH are you seeing during that? seems too short of a burnout.

did you you remove the front sway bar?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Tires are M and H drag radials. 275/50/17 I was running 20 psi. This was my first time on a drag tire and at 20 the car was walking a little as I was going down the track so I was afraid of going any lower. I probably could go lower now that Im used to it. Not sure on mph, I was pretty nervous doing the burn out. Ive never had problems doing on before but the mustang is hard for me to do. Im hoping to get a line lock soon. Both sway bars are removed front and rear.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest this:

Tires 19 psi cold - best starting point according to M&H

2nd gear burnout, 55-60 MPH for 3-4 seconds.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Yeah, your burnout is not doing it for you. You need to get that soft rubber hot. I typically do a second gear burn for about 4-5 seconds until smoke is pretty visible.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
on a side note man, with those mods on ur car and some good shifting the car should be at about a 12.4 at 110 id say

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be anywhere close to 12.4 lol I'm at 6500 altitude on a good day. I wish though. I'm gonna work on my burn outs and also how I'm releasing the clutch. A friend told be to take the cover off the clutch pedal so my foot can slide off.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
nvm with that altitude lol- and yea put some armor all on it so your foot slids off, you will love it

and with a drag radial you have to do a huge burnout and get the tires super hot, everyone says that makes them greasy yada yada, but thats not the case also you def dont wanna dump it and shock the side wall, when you leave the line come off the clutch as fast as you can slipping it, you will get it down!

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Took the sway bar out for weight reduction. Didn't think I needed it?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Even for just drag racing? I've still got it in the garage if it will help Ill throw it back in.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
I do a first gear burnout on 275 mt drag radials and stay in it till it starts pushing the car through the brakes ( not long ). Radials do not need to be super heated during a burnout, especially on a 11-12 second car. Clean them off and do a good short burnout.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
nvm with that altitude lol- and yea put some armor all on it so your foot slids off, you will love it

and with a drag radial you have to do a huge burnout and get the tires super hot, everyone says that makes them greasy yada yada, but thats not the case also you def dont wanna dump it and shock the side wall, when you leave the line come off the clutch as fast as you can slipping it, you will get it down!

It does make STREET tires greasy. But a huge burn out is also not completely accurate. Each manufacturer has a recommended temperature that the tires need for maximum effectiveness. So, while a huge burn out works for say tire A, Tire B only needs X degrees.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
Dark side I've been following you 12 second on street tires post a lot. I think you are even getting better 60' on street tires then I am on drag radials.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Practice but I'd also recommend 2nd gear burn out so you can get the wheel speed up.

I had been doing first gear burnouts for a long time now and tried everything from tire pressure to burn out time. My car didn't have the torque for a second gear burn out from previous attempts, or so I thought....well, recently I decided to try staying in the water a bit and that was the ticket. The car went from inconsistent 1.8-1.9 60's and now it's seeing pretty consistent 1.7x 60's. If the track is prepped well...I can launch at 7k and dead hook. That wasn't an option before.

Good luck.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I think you'll get the 60s you want with a longer burnout and more practice. It takes a lot of finesse to nail a good launch on radials. Plenty of rpms and clutch slip. I don't think 1.70s are out of the question on those 17" tires.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Shameless plug...

OP I have some UPR drag springs for sale. If you are interested send me a PM.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back