need some wiring help

whitestang41791

forum member
Reaction score
09 gt and trying to tap into the wires in the dome lights, to hardwire in my radar. Does anybody know which wires i need to tap into?

Attachments

• IMG_2204 (1).jpg
    IMG_2204 (1).jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 31

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is use a meter to test them. But I usually go to the fuse box in the passenger kick for acc power.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My car has a key on 12v source in the console. It's a pretty easy to get at location.

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Use a meter to test for power. your dome lights are delayed on and constant for the map lights.
Best bet is to run a switched source up to the dome. not hard to do and is safer than screwing with the factory wiring.
I love wiring, but prefer to be able to control the power source. These computers and how ford wired some components is more than + -

For the 15 minutes to use an "add a fuse" and run a line up is well worth it in my opinion.
Sent from my EVO

whitestang41791

forum member
Reaction score
I'm extremely mechanically inclined BUT wiring is my weakness, so any tips or instructions would be awesome!

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Buy an add-a-fuse and put it in location B in this pic.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149246&postcount=1

images

Last edited:

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Just what fuel said but use b or c location, both are switched power. Run 2 wires, 18ga should be fine, one black one red up to the location. Tie the red into the add a fuse and the black under the sjb to the 10mm bolt. This is your switched power and ground.
To run the wire, remove the passenger side kick panel and door sill. then remove the a pillar. Route the wire up and to your location.
Shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to run these 2 lines.

This is the easiest way to do it.

Sent from my EVO

whitestang41791

forum member
Reaction score
That was extremely helpful guys, just have a few questions
1. Where can I buy the add a fuse? Local auto parts didn't have it

2. How do I tie the wires into the radar detector?

3. Just wrap the ground around the bolt and lock it down?

4. If I run it up the a pillar, how can I run it to the mirrow without the wire showing?

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
To run a wire up there, pull off the pillar trim, that's the easiest, and is how I've run my wires to the console. Running a wire under the headliner is pretty easy, over to the console.

And you might be able to work the wire up under the headliner from the front, and the same with the pillar: work the wire behind it.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I used the wires at the some lights. it will be later today before I can look at it for you though.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
You don't want to tap into the Dome Lights. They're fed by the Low Current Board in the SJB. Use a switched power source like the guru's who posted before me.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
This thread is fucking killing me. Learn how to use a damn multimeter and figure this shit out yourself. This is one of the most basic of skills, and you lack it.

silverstang23

forum member
Reaction score
I tied my radar detector to the cigarette lighter above the radio. I then pulled the wire up the a pillar. There is a good ground location behind the glove compartment. I wouldn't change the fuse. That's just asking for trouble.

1. I personally wouldn't do that.

3. Yep. Strip the wire and wrap it around the screw. You can also buy connectors that are meant for it

4. Go from behind the radio to the top left part of the dashboard, pull the a pillar off, then just stuff it up under the head liner

Last edited:

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't the cig lighter above the radio a constant 12 volt source. That gets annoying turning it on and off every time you get in and out of the car.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If you are looking for a switched 12v source it's not too hard. Use a sewing pin and put it in the connector common to the wire you want to check. Take your measurments from the pin to ground.

Here is an example. I used a needle and unconnected connector but you should be able to get the idea.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back