Need wheel advice

TheTeacher

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 Black GT after a 2 year absence of owning a Mustang.

I want to spend about $2k on wheels/tires -- its going to be my DD and I just want it to look awesome. I have been hunting and I want 20" aggressive looking rims (im leaning towards silver color, but black is still in the mix) with a staggered looking MEAN stance.

I can't really find what I'm looking for, so if anyone has suggestions I could used the advice.

Thanks in advance.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
2k for wheels AND tires is going to be a stretch. Good tires typically run 1k+ for a set. Wheels typically run at least 1200, usually more like 1400-1600.
Best bet in that price range is look for a used set.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 Black GT after a 2 year absence of owning a Mustang.

I want to spend about $2k on wheels/tires -- its going to be my DD and I just want it to look awesome. I have been hunting and I want 20" aggressive looking rims (im leaning towards silver color, but black is still in the mix) with a staggered looking MEAN stance.

I can't really find what I'm looking for, so if anyone has suggestions I could used the advice.

Thanks in advance.

This is such a "beauty in the eye of the beholder topic" it's not even funny. Scour the "Pic Whore" thread or the slammed on 20's thread.

2k for wheels AND tires is going to be a stretch. Good tires typically run 1k+ for a set. Wheels typically run at least 1200, usually more like 1400-1600.
Best bet in that price range is look for a used set.

I don't know what wheel/tire packages you might be talking about but a set of Niche Targas in 20" w/Nitto NT555 are less than $2K. Forgestar F14s are close to $3K for a wheel/tire package. I mean, unless you're talking about super high-end wheels and crazy expensive tires, there's tons of options for less than $2K out there.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Since it's a 2016, there are going to be drastically different options available to you than for the S197's as the offsets are quite a bit different.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since it's a 2016, there are going to be drastically different options available to you than for the S197's as the offsets are quite a bit different.

The wheels can be interchanged between the 2....

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
I understand that they "can", but they utilize different offsets so if he has an S550, looking at custom wheels on an S197 site may get him skewed results as not all of the wheels will fit correctly.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
glad someone said this^^^

I will also be the guy to say that a square setup looks about 1000X more aggressive than a staggered lol. opinions opinions

TheTeacher

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I assumed 2k was doable because American Muscle has lots of packages under 2.

Been looking at silver ARM wheels and I like those Niche Targas as well.

I assumed that NITTO Invo's were an upgrade and they aren't very expensive. But I read that their tread life isn't that long, are NITTO 555's that bad?

Any evidence that Square is just aggressive looking as Staggered?

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I assumed 2k was doable because American Muscle has lots of packages under 2.

Been looking at silver ARM wheels and I like those Niche Targas as well.

I assumed that NITTO Invo's were an upgrade and they aren't very expensive. But I read that their tread life isn't that long, are NITTO 555's that bad?

Any evidence that Square is just aggressive looking as Staggered?

from a performance standpoint, square is leaps and bounds better. also, if you were looking at AMRs, to put it into perspective, if you got a 20X9 in front and a 20X10 in rear, you would have more concave on 20x10s, and concave is aggressive. you can run 20x10s square on these cars easy and have the same amount of concave in front and back. this goes for any size wheels, that was just an example. ill be the guy that makes a blanket statement and say "you should always run a square setup" leave the staggered sets of wheels for the classic cars back in the day where no one cared about wheel fitment or a properly performing car.

the only time you should go staggered is when you've absolutely maxed out the tiresize/wheel width in the front, and you still have room in the rear. when guys buy wheels and put 255s in the front it drives me nuts, slap some 275s-305s in front and 305s in rear if you want staggered. and yes you can do that with cheaper wheels lol.

I'm being sorta hypocritical here though. I only have 20x10s squared on my car with a 275/35s on all four. theres plenty of room to go bigger if need be

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I used to run a 275 rear / 255 front...staggered setup. With front wheels pointed straight ahead....unless I'm lying on my stomach, looking at the fronts... you would never know they were staggered, cuz you can't readily see the stagger. And you sure as hell can't see any stagger, when viewed from the side.

You can't rotate a staggered setup...pita. On most tires, if you run a staggered setup, your tread warranty will be cut in half. These cars have a slight under steer with a square setup, which only gets worse with a staggered setup. The more the stagger, the worse the under steer gets.

Just use 285's in a square setup, and both on 10" wide rims. A 10" rim cost the same as a 9" rim in a lot of cases. The NT-555 is a good tire.... which just got a lot better with the new version, called a NT-555 G2.

Last edited:

TheTeacher

forum member
Reaction score
Continued thanks for all the advice.

So can I run 285/35/20's all the way around without issue on 10" wide wheels?

Also, will I have to buy new TPS or can they use the old ones?

Lastly, this is my DD, but I live in South Texas, so no snow. Can i safely run summer tires?

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Continued thanks for all the advice.

So can I run 285/35/20's all the way around without issue on 10" wide wheels?

Also, will I have to buy new TPS or can they use the old ones?

Lastly, this is my DD, but I live in South Texas, so no snow. Can i safely run summer tires?

I use 285/30-20's since they're closer to the factory outer diameter. I would only go to the 35 series if you have taller rear gears. No way I was going to do it with my factory 3.31's.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know what wheel/tire packages you might be talking about but a set of Niche Targas in 20" w/Nitto NT555 are less than $2K. Forgestar F14s are close to $3K for a wheel/tire package. I mean, unless you're talking about super high-end wheels and crazy expensive tires, there's tons of options for less than $2K out there.

I own the 19" targas and hate them. Niche could do better with offsets. They are stock-weight. The matte finish seems to stain easily absolutely sucks to try to clean. The shape of them tends to build up brake dust clumps in the corners. They are super cheap now though, I'll give them that.
The NT555's are cheap because the G2's are out now and should be much better than the first gen.

I guess I made the mistake of assuming that most of the people on here are performance oriented and would want a lighter wheel like a forgestar and better-than-average tires. If you don't care about that then any combo will do.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
there area lot of people out there that are performace oriented, but don't run expensive wheels. guys like me who daily their car and do auto X for fun, I'm not gonna see a difference in a few extra pounds and also my wheels get hammered constantly, I would hate to see a nice wheel like that get messed up, no matter how hard I try to keep them nice.

OP, I have 275/35/20s on a 20X10 with a +43 offset, I really wish it was a +40. a 285 would be nice, but I would run a 30 sidewall ratio if your going to run square and have them in the front, a 285/35/30 is a lot of sidewall to be running on the front and might rub. I would say a 30 series, or go 275s like I have..

ill whore some pics

the 275/35/20 look great IMO

Back