Never thought i'd be thinking of selling....

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
BUT... seriously have some growing up to do now and put my priorities straight guys. i'll be graduating college in three weeks and looking to buy a house in a few months. this car is my daily driver, track/show car. i've thought about a few options...

1) part the performance parts out of the car and leave the exterior the way it is only stock performance wise. i figured last night at work maybe i can squeeze out about 3k-3500 worth of performance mods. then buy myself an old 60's project all out race car for the track and leave the mustang as my daily driver/show car.

2) sell the car completely as is and hope i can at least break even on what i owe. (i'd be happy with that). then take out a loan for a project car and a used daily driver. figure an old muscle car i can piece together for a lot cheaper than it would take me to build my daily driver into a race car and fear of blowing my engine leaving me without a car.

here's the background on the car. still owe 19k on it. minor dings and light swirls from daily driving. no major damage

2006 mustang gt premium- Auto w/ upgraded interior package
61k miles with oil change very 3k using either royal purple or castrol syntec only
11.46 @ 116mph

mods-
gt500 front end conversion
trufiber gts3 hood
Roush louvers
Roush wing
Eibach pro-kit springs
tint
18x9 and 18x10 black saleen replicas
nitto 555 295/45/18's and 255/45/18's
MMR rear seat delete kit
SOS cupholder nitrous switch panel
MAC axlebacks with black powdercoated tips
Smoked taillights

perf. mods- (420rwhp/523rwtq)
JLT CAI
Dynotune nitrous kit
American Racing Header o/r x longtube combo
Spyder Driveshaft
4.10 gears
CHE adj panhard bar
CHE anti-squat brackets
BMR adj upper control arm
BMR lower control arms
BMR driveshaft safety loop
BAER Decelarotor drilled/slotted rotors w/ performance pads

track rim setup-
15" summit stars 15x4 15x8's
MH drag radials and front runners w/ only two track passes on them
3/8 spacer
ARP studs
Gorilla open end lugs

what do you guys think would be my best bet?

a) part out only the performance parts and pay the car down to about 14-15k and sell it with all the exterior stuff the way it is?

b) part out EVERY mod including exterior stuff and returning it completely to stock

c) try getting the 19k i owe on it as is without the track setup which i could sell seprately.. figuring i could ask 18k for it as is since i could pay the other 1k off with the sale of the track setup.

i figure i could still enjoy the car for a couple more months but honestly i'm at the point where i'm at the cars limits and dont have anywhere else to go but build a motor and F/I which will take me at least a year to save up for. i'm trying to get into a house and stop with the insane amount of time and money i spend on the mustang as a daily driver/track/show car. figure i could really enjoy myself driving an "almost stock" daily driver, and then going all out with a track only muscle car and shoot for a 9 sec track car in the future. I sat at work for 8 hours tonight thinking about what i should do and really need your help steering me in the right direction.

if i decide to part it out i'll list all my parts on this forum first for a few days before posting it on the other forums so you can call dibs on all my parts. i'd HATE to sell the car exactly as it sits and have some knucklehead kid buy it locally and me see it driving around town and on the track after i built it to where it is now. :thud:

here are a few pics...

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

mustangcruisesideshot.jpg

l_4f078c25c6be2c2f05a02997af2d8838.jpg

IMG00105-20090428-1559.jpg

Last edited:

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Selling modified cars and getting what they should be worth is a PITA. It's comparable to rowing up stream. If you want to get any money out of it, you will probably have to part it out, or hope another racer sees the value in it.

Or, since you mentioned getting a loan to get a DD and a project car. Instead, get a small loan to get a DD car. A couple hundred a month buys a lot of car these days, that is low millage.

You have to factor in something with these S197s. 1, they look amazing, just the right blend of modern/retro, and 2, you personalize your car already to your liking. I would seriously consider just buying a budget DD.

Case and point, I recently needed a new DD that could be dual purpose. 1. Family/Commuter car, and 2. Something that can haul my stang or the wifes stang in case we screwed them up. I manged a 02 Explorer, fully loaded, 40k miles, super clean with the V8 and tow package. I ended up only paying 9k for it, with a monthly payment that is a drop in the bucket. So I would do the same if I were you, and keep your car.

Besides, it looks too damn good to let go, and its got the performance to back it up. On a performance note, you can always build your car up in stages...Rome wasn't built in a day. I learned that with the latest version of my car, and its on its 5th stage now.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for your input rygen... that's one of the options i have as well and maybe i should just think about finding a budget bucket for commuting. maybe a truck and a trailer to haul the car if i need to as well...

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Sell the performance parts and keep the car. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass if you sell it. Also, learn to not mod your car lol. That will save you a lot of money especially if you take the nitrous off. You can do other things if you want to save money like, stop eating out etc....

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
You'll find these kinds of threads on the mustang forums posted all the time. I call it the "I am done modding my car so now I gotta sell it" syndrome. I guess it comes down to whether you are a Mustang Guy or not. I buy my cars because I want to keep them forever, not to mess with them for 2 years, get bored and sell them. I have owned 3 cars in 21 years and I still have them all. Two Mustangs and a F150. I guess I just don't understand these threads...

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sell the performance parts and keep the car. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass if you sell it. Also, learn to not mod your car lol. That will save you a lot of money especially if you take the nitrous off. You can do other things if you want to save money like, stop eating out etc....

thats crazy talk! i would hate driving around in a stock car. haha i'm looking to go fast!

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
You'll find these kinds of threads on the mustang forums posted all the time. I call it the "I am done modding my car so now I gotta sell it" syndrome. I guess it comes down to whether you are a Mustang Guy or not. I buy my cars because I want to keep them forever, not to mess with them for 2 years, get bored and sell them. I have owned 3 cars in 21 years and I still have them all. Two Mustangs and a F150. I guess I just don't understand these threads...

exactly! im not done modding my car but have other priorities i need to start thinking about. i guess the MAIN REASON is fear of being the next broken motor around here leaving me without another car. Rygen made a great point when he said find a cheap daily driver. guess what i was trying to do is sell my performance parts, keep the mustang as my daily driver, and buy an old muscle car for track purposes only. i always said i'm keeping this car til i die since it's the first car i ever modded and raced.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
thats crazy talk! i would hate driving around in a stock car. haha i'm looking to go fast!

I know exactly how you feel but any car that you get you will mod. Why don't you just take off the nitrous and leave everything else on the car alone and drive it like that for a couple years while you save money. You don't need to sell your mustang to buy a house, I'm sure you can find another way to save up enough dough.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel but any car that you get you will mod. Why don't you just take off the nitrous and leave everything else on the car alone and drive it like that for a couple years while you save money. You don't need to sell your mustang to buy a house, I'm sure you can find another way to save up enough dough.

+1, staying off the track and dropping the nitrous will result in a long long life for your motor. You car drips pure evil in the looks department and I'd hate to see it go.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
you both make pretty damn good points! i'd hate to see the car go too. maybe after the next tnt night once i see how low in the 11's the car can go i'll start seriously thinking about ditching the nitrous for a while and cut down on the track nights. it'll be summertime anyway and not really worth going out there in the heat to try and break et's. maybe i should sell the nitrous kit and use that cash to put towards an old DD i can use for the track only.

i know what my problem is! i hang around you guys too damn much and hate being the slowest one on here haha seems like i'm the only one still running 11's and just want to keep going faster every time i go out there. maybe i should cut down on my forum time as well haha

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your hardly the slowest guy around....

that would be Roper

as to your original question - modded cars dont retain value, sorry fact of life.

if you chose to go the sale route - def return to stock and sell the mods separately IMHO

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
haha that's the route i think i'd take if i decided to sell it. take it all apart completely back to stock so there would be no chance in hell i would see it driving around with a new driver haha

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
and if i did sell the parts and the car, you can pretty much bet my next track car is gonna be a monster track only car, gutted and all. my payments being high is another thing making me want to sell this car off and finally free myself from being in the hole. i traded an 05 v6 for this and my payments are 445 bucks. that was with 7 yrs of payments! i was stupid back then and would love to just get myself out of the hole and get something else with a lower payment. i have pretty good 700+ credit and should be able to get lower than my 7.9% interest rate i have on this car right now.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Damn Mikey, hate to hear this, but we all sometimes have to make sacrifices to have other things, I did for a while after a bought my first home earlier this year. Sold alot of my go fast parts from this mustang. But afterward I got back on the good foot and started back on the stang. But if you do plan on selling it and parting it out, I want first dibs on the track tire setup. Let me know what kind of price you want for the whole deal. Rims,tires,lugnuts,studs and spacers. But hope you find your way and you will be able to do both, have a house and fast cars.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
you both make pretty damn good points! i'd hate to see the car go too. maybe after the next tnt night once i see how low in the 11's the car can go i'll start seriously thinking about ditching the nitrous for a while and cut down on the track nights. it'll be summertime anyway and not really worth going out there in the heat to try and break et's. maybe i should sell the nitrous kit and use that cash to put towards an old DD i can use for the track only.

i know what my problem is! i hang around you guys too damn much and hate being the slowest one on here haha seems like i'm the only one still running 11's and just want to keep going faster every time i go out there. maybe i should cut down on my forum time as well haha

I'm not sure how the 4.6l takes to nitrous but if you really do need to save money or want to sell it I wouldn't do it. Every time you press that button (for the nitrous) you run a risk of a bad ending. I hate to say it but this is the honest truth.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mikey i know where they have a trick ass new edge for sale my buddy matt wants like 9k for it runs/drives perfect no bullshit only reason he is selling is basically your identical story just too much going on and he already bought a new 08 so it was either the 08 or the new edge

im really really trying to work out a deal with him for it but i personally just don't have the extra " play money " myself after this whole build the car twice bullshit ....

i know it's not local but believe me this car is worth it i had posted a pic in spaunen's 01 or 05 thread in the pitstop if intrested

imo rygen pretty much nailed it on the head , i can honestly say my next mod will be a dd ( this new edge hopefuly lol )

03Glock

EX New Edge
Reaction score
Your car is bad ass!! What kind of stall do you have on there? I am running a 06 auto with kinda the same set-up you have with out any exhaust or driveshaft........Haven't run it at the track since it was stock. Stock it went 13.6 at 100mph. With a tune it went 13.41 at 102. Now it has gears, intake, tune from Doug, UDP's, and 100 shot from Zex.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BUT... seriously have some growing up to do now and put my priorities straight guys. i'll be graduating college in three weeks and looking to buy a house in a few months. this car is my daily driver, track/show car. i've thought about a few options...

1) part the performance parts out of the car and leave the exterior the way it is only stock performance wise. i figured last night at work maybe i can squeeze out about 3k-3500 worth of performance mods. then buy myself an old 60's project all out race car for the track and leave the mustang as my daily driver/show car.

2) sell the car completely as is and hope i can at least break even on what i owe. (i'd be happy with that). then take out a loan for a project car and a used daily driver. figure an old muscle car i can piece together for a lot cheaper than it would take me to build my daily driver into a race car and fear of blowing my engine leaving me without a car.

here's the background on the car. still owe 19k on it. minor dings and light swirls from daily driving. no major damage

2006 mustang gt premium- Auto w/ upgraded interior package
61k miles with oil change very 3k using either royal purple or castrol syntec only
11.46 @ 116mph

mods-
gt500 front end conversion
trufiber gts3 hood
Roush louvers
Roush wing
Eibach pro-kit springs
tint
18x9 and 18x10 black saleen replicas
nitto 555 295/45/18's and 255/45/18's
MMR rear seat delete kit
SOS cupholder nitrous switch panel
MAC axlebacks with black powdercoated tips
Smoked taillights

perf. mods- (420rwhp/523rwtq)
JLT CAI
Dynotune nitrous kit
American Racing Header o/r x longtube combo
Spyder Driveshaft
4.10 gears
CHE adj panhard bar
CHE anti-squat brackets
BMR adj upper control arm
BMR lower control arms
BMR driveshaft safety loop
BAER Decelarotor drilled/slotted rotors w/ performance pads

track rim setup-
15" summit stars 15x4 15x8's
MH drag radials and front runners w/ only two track passes on them
3/8 spacer
ARP studs
Gorilla open end lugs

what do you guys think would be my best bet?

a) part out only the performance parts and pay the car down to about 14-15k and sell it with all the exterior stuff the way it is?

b) part out EVERY mod including exterior stuff and returning it completely to stock

c) try getting the 19k i owe on it as is without the track setup which i could sell seprately.. figuring i could ask 18k for it as is since i could pay the other 1k off with the sale of the track setup.

i figure i could still enjoy the car for a couple more months but honestly i'm at the point where i'm at the cars limits and dont have anywhere else to go but build a motor and F/I which will take me at least a year to save up for. i'm trying to get into a house and stop with the insane amount of time and money i spend on the mustang as a daily driver/track/show car. figure i could really enjoy myself driving an "almost stock" daily driver, and then going all out with a track only muscle car and shoot for a 9 sec track car in the future. I sat at work for 8 hours tonight thinking about what i should do and really need your help steering me in the right direction.

if i decide to part it out i'll list all my parts on this forum first for a few days before posting it on the other forums so you can call dibs on all my parts. i'd HATE to sell the car exactly as it sits and have some knucklehead kid buy it locally and me see it driving around town and on the track after i built it to where it is now. :thud:

here are a few pics...

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

mustangcruisesideshot.jpg

l_4f078c25c6be2c2f05a02997af2d8838.jpg

IMG00105-20090428-1559.jpg

Dude... you are DONE... your car will not cost you a dime if you dont race/break anything.

Why sell....

I sold my 93 notch when I graduated college... low and behold, found myself buying headers, cpu, exhaust for a damn Maxima. You see where I ended up...

Just dont race/break anything, and you'll be in a good place. $ for selling your car will not make or break you financially, and paying on the note will keep creditors happy.

Just roll what you got...

JM2

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
imo rygen pretty much nailed it on the head , i can honestly say my next mod will be a dd ( this new edge hopefuly lol )

The first mod should always be a reliable DD :beerchug2: The new edge he is talking about is really nice, I wish I had 9k floating around, but if I did I'd probably end up getting blown anyways!

I understand the situation your in, but you know you'll regret it, the best you'll do is break even most likely. Just keep it.

Back