New Brake Rotor Suggestions

bigbyrd10

Reaction score
Thanks for help from those that did.

Last edited:

tightwhite08

Reaction score
i got the power stop z23 evolution sport and I like them, great for spirited daily driving but not quite race ready.

bigbyrd10

Reaction score
i got the power stop z23 evolution sport and I like them, great for spirited daily driving but not quite race ready.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely be looking more into those.

Thank you for the link to this other thread. I looked through that one but very little useful information other than "buy better tires" which is not at all what I'm looking for at this time :)

Thank you for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the link to this other thread. I looked through that one but very little useful information other than "buy better tires" which is not at all what I'm looking for at this time :)

Thank you for the help.

really, guess our definitions of useful is a lot different

Problem is your not going to really gain performance in terms of stopping power, common misconception. The "performance" by using different oem replacement pads and rotors is things like have cooler looking rotors that dissipate heat better, pads that don't fade as easy when hot or pad material last longer or make lest dust than others or less noise or more aggressive bite material etc. You can lock up any standard brake and rotor quickly, its the tires that stop the car anyway. The brakes turn rotational energy into heat and slow the wheels and the friction of the tires on the road slow the car down. Things that actually allow the car to stop quicker is less vehicle weight, lighter rotational mass (lighter wheels and rotors), tires with more contact patch on the road and better traction, larger diameter rotors and pads with more surface area. A stainless brake line upgrade from caliper to hard line is a popular mod, again won't measurably affect brake performance but does improve brake pedal feel.

My suggestion go to rockauto.com and get some good oem replacement pads and rotors that suit your needs and wallet.

GOOD tires, stock rotors, decent pads (ceramic pads from Autozone are actually pretty good pads), fresh brake fluid.

Your brake fluid is a must at this point, also expect to do the front and rear brakes at nearly the same time as these cars wear brakes very evenly front to rear.

I now buy the StopTech pads from RockAuto. Great value/performance.

When I did my brakes the first time I bought a kit from TPS Motorsports which included
HPS-HP Front & HPS-HP Rear (HP Street) Hawk Performance Brake Pads. * 3 Pints Motul High Temp Brake Fluid. * TPS DOT Approved Stainless Steel Brake Lines. * TPS Slotted/ Dimpled Rotors (2 front & 2 rear).

Along with StopTech pads I'd go with Centric premium rotors. Stoptech and Centric are the same company but that is not to say that your rotors and pads need to match companies. Rotors are a little better than OEM and about the same price, listed in the Daily Driver section on Rockauto.

After you get everything replaced make sure you bed the brakes properly. It's process for matching the pads to the rotors and increasing the stopping performance.

The stock brakes are fine if you're not autocrossing or doing track days. Get some decent tires.

bigbyrd10

Reaction score
really, guess our definitions of useful is a lot different

So how many of those had a suggestion of ROTORS? I appreciate the help, but as an admin being like this going back and forth isn't exactly helpful and is far less than welcoming to a new(ish) member looking for a basic referral which other members (that aren't admins) have been very helpful with.

Don't bother replying I'm not going down your rabbit hole any further. Thanks for trying to help.

LMR has a set of 4 Centrics for $205. They are cross drilled but they will be fine for street use.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-61086-KIT/brake-rotor-kit-drilled-slotted-0514-c-tek

This is a decently solid deal from what I've seen. Thank you for your referral!

EBC crossed drilled rotors wit hawk pads I have this for my DD Bullitt great brakes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look into these as well. I appreciate your time.

Bought a set of ATL rotors off Amazon for all four corners last March. I bought them mostly for looks as the hats and outside edges on my stockers were all rusted up.
Amazon.com: ATL Autosports Performance Brake Rotors FRONT PAIR Fits 2008 Ford Mustang [Bullitt - V8 - 4.6L ] ATL54134-05SOBZ: Automotive

I haven't seen these before actually. This is precisely why I opened the thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So how many of those had a suggestion of ROTORS? I appreciate the help, but as an admin being like this going back and forth isn't exactly helpful and is far less than welcoming to a new(ish) member looking for a basic referral which other members (that aren't admins) have been very helpful with.

Don't bother replying I'm not going down your rabbit hole any further. Thanks for trying to help.

nearly all of them

and newish members are still expected to wear big boy pants and use the search function.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks to stkjock for linking to my suggestion in the other thread. I'll repeat here. Centric rotors are the way to go. Avoid drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted, etc. unless you just want cool looking. It adds little if anything to performance and a lot to the price.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
nearly everyone that replied suggested sticking with OEM rotors

if you can't search, at least learn to read

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just get some centric blank rotors. You'll see zero difference between those and "high end" rotors unless you're actually racing.

bigbyrd10

Reaction score
Thanks to stkjock for linking to my suggestion in the other thread. I'll repeat here. Centric rotors are the way to go. Avoid drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted, etc. unless you just want cool looking. It adds little if anything to performance and a lot to the price.

Appreciate the advice, nawagner. your's was one of the few useful posts from the other thread. I appreciate your time.

bigbyrd10

Reaction score
nearly everyone that replied suggested sticking with OEM rotors

if you can't search, at least learn to read

The irony of you telling me to "read" when you didn't bother reading that I had actually seen that thread before (before the admin goons linked it - it just didn't have the advice in it I was looking for) is simply hilarious. It didn't have the recommendations that I was looking for that others in THIS thread have so far provided so graciously. Man I love keyboard forum warriors sometimes.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
yea, keyboard warriors are great. What kind of armor do you wear?

and yes, I did read that thread .... which contained many posts saying to buy stock rotors. Sorry the correct information wasn't the answer you were looking for. Go ahead and buy a set of cross drilled rotors, they'll look SWEET!!!

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
The irony of you telling me to "read" when you didn't bother reading that I had actually seen that thread before (before the admin goons linked it - it just didn't have the advice in it I was looking for) is simply hilarious.

It didn't have the recommendations that I was looking for that others in THIS thread have so far provided so graciously.

Man I love keyboard forum warriors sometimes.

Ehh, as stkjock, man up, this ain't Sesame Street, and it's not as bad what you'd get on the Bullet ..

What exactly are you wanting from an upgraded brake swap? Rotors are only 1/2 the swap, the Pads are what do the stopping.

I'm running take-off Motorcraft 13.3" front rotors from a 2011 GT and a set of Hawk HPS pads .. I have no issues slowing down from 140 at the track.

2003cobra22

forum member
Reaction score
CENTRIC 125.61086 Front
CENTRIC 125.61087 Rear
What I use, quiet operation with a good set of ceramic pads

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The best rotors I've used so far were the DBA4000's I got on closeout from Sam Strano.

They might have been on closeout because of an updated design coming out. They've gotten rather pricy since, too much $ for track day use, but might still be a good choice for performance street cars (that don't see track time, just get Centric plains for that and throw them away when the heat checks don't pass the fingernail test).

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back