New Change in E85 Pump labeling

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
What was once marketed as a yellow "E85" sticker on the fuel pump on/off button now has this sticker slapped on top of it. I noticed it at one station across town a few months ago so I avoided getting fuel there. Now my local station has done this as well as another station about 10 miles away. I have gone through a couple tanks with no adverse affects i.e. stumbling, stalling, loss of power etc. I have an E85 fuel tester so I'm going to pull a sample from the pumps sometime soon to see what I'm getting. I have tried researching what has brought about this new pump labeling but have turned up nothing.

flexfuel_zpsxoselw05.jpg

Anyone else run into this new sticker yet on the fuel pumps????

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
LOL yeah i saw that the other day at a speedway here. fortunately sheetz still says min 70 for me

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My friend who has run E85 exclusively for ages sends the bad news, it's usually close to the lower number.

E85's days are numbered.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can't find any news articles about this. Anyone know anything? Is this going to be national?

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing new there. They've been allowing down to 51% content in the winter blends for below freezing usage in some regions, just because it makes it easier to start the car. In other regions it's still at 70%. The four local pumps around here are still hovering at +85%

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing new there. They've been allowing down to 51% content in the winter blends for below freezing usage in some regions, just because it makes it easier to start the car. In other regions it's still at 70%...

That's how I understand it as well. The folk around my neck of the woods that use E85 buy it in 55 gallon drums for the consistency of 85% alcohol.

Maybe this is true:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/auto...-octane-gasoline-or-give-usmissed-cafe-goals/

And a little more reading:
http://gas2.org/2016/08/24/epa-ethanol-high-octane-debate/

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
E85 is not looking good... I already made the switch to ignite racing ethaol. Those little testers you buy are not accurate anyways. They give you a general idea, but not accurate. I just start running ignite red. Its 90% but if you test it with those little testers it will read pure ethanol. Further proving those testers are garbage.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Now if it only didnt cost 450 dollars for a barrel of C85 from VP vs 110.00 for 55 gal from the pump

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
E85 is not looking good... I already made the switch to ignite racing ethaol. Those little testers you buy are not accurate anyways. They give you a general idea, but not accurate. I just start running ignite red. Its 90% but if you test it with those little testers it will read pure ethanol. Further proving those testers are garbage.

This is the tester I've used for three years and it's been pretty spot on every time. My local E85 before the sticker was placed on the pump was testing an average of 80%. I'm going to drop by one of the stations today and pull a sample and see what I get since the new decal was placed on the pump. Will report back.

36-e85_1.jpg

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
My local stations show "51% minimum", but still test out to be 85. If you don't want to use the baby bottle method, add an ethanol gauge to the car. Easy enough.

Seriously, this is nothing new. The 51 minimum started in 2012, four years ago. They're not adding gas to save money, they're doing it so people can start their cars in the months with below-freezing morning temperatures. E85 has been spreading through Europe and Asia, too. It's not going away.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've never seen such a sticker, never tested our supply below 70% using the Quick Fuel tester, never had an issue starting the car, even at 15* ambient with the car being stone cold and unstarted in week(s)

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
Ive been using same quickfuel tester. Really you dont even need it for pump e85. If its clear its good if it has a yellow tint to it, its garbage. The tester is accurate enough for use. But its not accurate as far as exact percentage. Like I said I'm running e90 and it tests as 100 with the quick fuel tester. Different e85 stations get their fuel from different plants, those plants can blend the ethanol with all kinds of random junk. Rarely is it mixed with gasoline, usually kerosene or some other junk.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
How do those testers work? Do you try to "pump" the e85 i to the test tube?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How do those testers work? Do you try to "pump" the e85 i to the test tube?

:lol: good luck trying that!

you fill the tube with water to a mark, then fill the balance to the top mark, let it separate out and the the "break" indicated the %

ccrp-1211-do-it-yourself-e85-testing-lead.jpg

michigan%20e85%20is%20e75%20on%20march%2028th.jpg

Last edited:

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Hiw does the e85 get to the tube. Yiur 2nd pic didnt show.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hiw does the e85 get to the tube. Yiur 2nd pic didnt show.

I put some in a 4 oz water bottle first and then poor it into the tester tube. the mouth of the tube is too small for the nozzle of the pump

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back