New house, new renovation project :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Congrats!

After building her a house, I'd hope she'd say yes. Congrats to both of you!

Congrats man.

Thanks guys. The house was always in my plan, whether I found a woman or not. I wasn't gonna stay in Mass. for much longer regardless.
It worked out better this way, lol.

Even looks like she had been prepared for this with the one nail on her ring finger being a different color...the color of diamonds. :clap:

Lol yeah there have been a couple of comments and jokes about that around here already ... she just had the nails re-done yesterday, now they're all red.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The house was always in my plan, whether I found a woman or not. I wasn't gonna stay in Mass. for much longer regardless.
It worked out better this way, lol.

Lol yeah there have been a couple of comments and jokes about that around here already ... she just had the nails re-done yesterday, now they're all red.

Yes, she doesn't need to hint anymore.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lol ...

Well, housework continues of course.

Yesterday I made up another rack for the smaller lighter 7' aluminum ladder we have, with a piece of leftover hardwood as the removable bottom at one end, so I lift the ladder up onto the other support, lift the ladder up on the end closer to the garage doors, then slide the piece of hardwood under it through holes in the side supports.
I notched the piece of hardwood so it sits down nicely on the holes in the supports.
I also hung the Shelby Ave sign above the Shelby's parking spot :)

20160425_ladders.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Last few days I've been busy in the basement.
Under the stairs leading to the basement and going up to the living space (house is a split-entry so as you enter the house there's steps going up on the right, and going down to the basement on the left.
Under these stairs there's a somewhat-of-a-storage area.
Going under there to clean, I found critter droppings, a 6-pack of Coors beer, and a bunch of chewed insulation, obviously from some small critters that were living in there.
No critters found, I cleaned/vacuumed the area, threw away all the old chewed insulation and the Coors, and framed-in a new wall under there, eliminating access under the low steps that lead to the basement.
Space was so small under there, it really wasn't gonna get used anyway.
So now I have an L-shaped area, framed-in, insulated, and drywalled.

A few pics from the work:

The back 4'-tall wall, looking straight into the "closet":

20160427_closet3.jpg

20160427_closet4.jpg

The "around-the-corner" area, to the right:
(the wall on the right is new, closing in the area under those stairs)

20160427_closet5.jpg

Also replaced the lower section of drywall on the right wall since it had some water damage on it and it had some mold on its lower couple of inches:

20160427_closet6.jpg

20160427_closet7.jpg

The wiring seen in the pic above ^^^ is my way to add some lighting in there.
I ran an indoor/outdoor extension cord from outside the "closet" and plugged in a power strip, then installed a 2-foot LED light above the door. The switch on the power strip gives me a way to turn on the light.
Eventually we'll hire an electrician and have some proper lighting done, but for now, it works:

20160427_closet8.jpg

We have a few folding chairs that have been a pain to store, so I made up a way to store them:

20160428_closet1.jpg

20160428_closet2.jpg

I also added 2 hooks on the left wall for our snow shoes, and plan on adding 1-2 hooks on the right wall up high for our bike helmets.
I'd love to be able to hang the bikes in there too, but that's just not gonna happen, just not enough space.

In the basement itself I added a few shelves, and started going through some more boxes that we still haven't opened since the move.
I found 16 computer power cables, about 20-30 telephone wire bundles, a whole bunch of RCA cables, and a whole bunch of other stuff that got thrown out, finally.

Today I loaded up the truck with a bunch of crap that's going to the dump tomorrow, and got the trailer up on jack stands since it's getting a new wiring harness and LED light kit installed on it shortly.
Sick of the old lights only working when they feel like it, and the harness connector has seen much better days ... one of the prongs broke off some time last summer.
So this it is, for now:

20160429_trailer.jpg

While I have the trailer up, I'm thinking I'm gonna take the wheels off and check/service whatever I can, and maybe even paint the freaking thing :)

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice job on using most of it for storage. Like the idea of the folding chair rack. Those are a pain in the ass in my garage to.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Nice job on using most of it for storage. Like the idea of the folding chair rack. Those are a pain in the ass in my garage to.

Thanks and yeah, I have 5 chairs up there plus a few other things, including 2 foam snow brooms ...
This is it now with the snow shoes hung on the upper left, and the wine rack and a few other things in there

20160430_closet.jpg

Today I worked on the trailer a bunch.
Got it painted with Rustoleum spray paint, flat black, covering up a lot of the rust.
And replaced the old light/wiring kit with a new LED kit:

20160430_trailer1.jpg

20160430_trailer3.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Last couple of days I've continued working in the basement, cleaning stuff up, going through boxes from the move and getting rid of more stuff, re-organizing and so on.
One wall in the basement had an old bench on it with some shelving under it, something the previous owner built.
I took it all apart and got rid of the filthy thing, and the piece of plywood under it which always bugged me.
Found some large stains on the floor under that plywood and a couple of holes in the wall.
Repaired the holes, and vacuumed the floor and wall, then painted the floor section and a section of the cement wall with gray garage-floor paint.
I'm quite happy with the result.
The wall repairs will get taped/mudded and the wall painted when the basement gets renovated, probably next year some time.

20160505.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yesterday morning we got 3 cubic yards of mulch delivered

20160509_mulch.jpg

Then I got the riding mower out, did its yearly LOF

20160509_mower_LOF.jpg

Then I filled the 3rd raised bed, so now they're all ready for the fiancee to seed them

20160509_raised-beds.jpg

Then I mowed the back yard and front lawn.
Much better.

20160509_yard2.jpg

20160509_mowed.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Your hard work is definitely paying off. I enjoy reading your continued updates.

Thank you.

I feel like I've been run over by a train.
Went outside at 9AM, just got back in about 45 minutes ago, with a break around lunch.

Moved a bunch of loam from the pile at the end of the driveway, I think I shoveled about 5-6 garden carts' worth, maybe 7.
My back is not happy.

After lunch my fiancee and I planted 3 little shrubs we recently bought, put them in the middle of the rocky area at the end of the driveway, then I went ahead and spread 3 carts' worth of mulch onto a small area in front of the house, an area that would be hard to mow. This little project turned out to be more than just spreading the mulch, as I dug down and installed edging material first, then moved some of the crushed rock that was there, then removed the top layer (the grass) that was in this whole area, and THEN I spread the mulch around.

The area I'm talking about, and in the background to the left you can also see the 3 new little shrubs we planted today in the crushed stone-covered area at the end of the driveway:
(the area closest to the house, currently covered by some old rectangular red pavers will eventually get re-done in the same various-shape gray pavers that the walkway is made out of, but that expense will have to wait a while)

20160510_mulch.jpg

And how it used to look there:

2015-11-03_a.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Looks nice!

Thanks Matt!

Today the work continued around the raised garden beds.
I put down some anti-weed mesh and laid down mulch in-between them, and I started widening and flattening a perimeter around them so I can do the mesh and mulch around them as well.
Taking dirt from a nearby pile left over from the walkway project, where the landscaper guys had to dig down to make room for the new pavers. This pile had been an eye sore and is now dwindling down and being put to good use

Exhausted early, in the house already, getting ready to head out to a local cruise night with a few friends.

The raised garden beds as they currently look:

20160511_raisedbeds1.jpg

20160511_raisedbeds2.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Spent the morning replacing a worn steering shaft coupler on the riding mower, its holes were so elongated they were allowing the steering to do about a half a turn before the wheels would turn.
An $8 plastic part that probably cost about $0.20 to make, and takes about 2 hours to replace because of where it is and having to remove/re-install 4 bolts under the mower, above the deck.
But it's done and the steering is MUCH tighter now.
I also added a suicide knob onto the steering wheel so now I can easily steer the thing with the left hand while using the right hand for the trans lever.

Lunch, then went back out and laid down some more mulch, this time on 2 flower beds, one long one on the side of the house, and a round one behind the house.

The new/old steering gear couplers:

20160513_mower_steering_repair1.jpg

20160513_mower_steering_repair2.jpg

And the new coupler installed. The whole shebang down there had to be taken apart to replace it.
Thank God for Youtube videos

20160513_mower_steering_repair3.jpg

And some more interesting pics, the newly laid down mulch beds:

20160513_mulch1.jpg

20160513_frt2.jpg

20160513_mulch2.jpg

20160513_mulch3.jpg

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Lunch, then went back out and laid down some more mulch, this time on 2 flower beds, one long one on the side of the house, and a round one behind the house.

And some more interesting pics, the newly laid down mulch beds:

Nice job. I enjoying working around the house/homestead but when it comes to mulching I believe in trickle down economics.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Nice job. I enjoying working around the house/homestead but when it comes to mulching I believe in trickle down economics.

Lol, thanks.

Spent the morning and a couple of hours into the afternoon spreading more mulch and took a trip to the local dump with a truck load of yard waste.

Got the area surrounding the raised beds all mulched, got down to about half of one tarp's worth of mulch left, whereas I started with a pile covering almost 2 full tarps

20160514_mulch2.jpg

What I have left for mulch:

20160514_mulch1.jpg

What I started with, 4 days ago:

20160509_mulch.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
More mulching today.
Got some more in front of the house, on the other side of the walkway:

20160515_mulch1.jpg

Got some more in the flower/plant bed on the left side of the driveway:

20160515_mulch2.jpg

20160515_mulch3.jpg

And mowed the front and back yards again, had to empty the bags 3 times again

20160515_mower.jpg

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Careful with just piling up the grass like that. We used to do that and one day came out and found it smoldering.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back